Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Gratitude as a Health Tool

Message 581 of 590 (4,570 Views)

Ok. I'll bite.

I'm grateful, although a better word might be 'lucky' or 'fortunate', that DW and I have planned and set goals for 40 years, then were able to achieve them, with no major setbacks. Things happen to people beyond their control that totally disrupt their lives. I'm grateful we had nothing major, and reached our goals.

But I still think running a few miles a day, and weight lifting, is doing far more to stave off coronary heart disase than gratitude.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 582 of 590 (4,607 Views)

I am grateful that I'm sort of winning the war against the aggressive vines, and have a relaxing morning at the hair salon! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 583 of 590 (4,710 Views)

I am grateful for the promise of renewal that comes packaged in each dawn, each early morning opportunity to reassess, redirect and reinvent! Let's go get 'em! Rah!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 584 of 590 (4,769 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm grateful that although I was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 months ago, the treatment was surprisingly not too bad. Although I had to give up my workouts for a couple of months, I'm regaining my strength now. I'm grateful for that, because I spent an hour in 90 deg. weather yesterday afternoon, and another 45 minutes this morning, cutting a terrible overgrowth of vines on my property .. and plan to go out again after lunch!

This is fantastic news! Double hurrahs! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 585 of 590 (4,820 Views)

bw95562019 wrote:

i'm grateful my son, daughter and grand daughter arrived home safe last night from their trip to florida

Hurrah!

Message 586 of 590 (4,836 Views)

I'm grateful that although I was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 months ago, the treatment was surprisingly not too bad. Although I had to give up my workouts for a couple of months, I'm regaining my strength now. I'm grateful for that, because I spent an hour in 90 deg. weather yesterday afternoon, and another 45 minutes this morning, cutting a terrible overgrowth of vines on my property .. and plan to go out again after lunch!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Super Social Butterfly

Message 587 of 590 (4,921 Views)

i'm grateful my son, daughter and grand daughter arrived home safe last night from their trip to florida

dont take life too serious

Message 588 of 590 (4,902 Views)
I'm also grateful for my morning walk.

Message 589 of 590 (4,898 Views)

Who wants to join me in creating an online Gratitude Journal? I’m thinking we can post a message of gratitude either daily, weekly, or as we are able, and all reap the benefits of one another's gratitude.

I'll start:

I'm grateful for coffee this morning. I'm also grateful for the numerous song birds outside my window.

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Message 590 of 590 (4,833 Views)

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."