How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Gratitude as a Health Tool

Message 451 of 467 (1,455 Views)

Gratefulness can change your moment from sad to happy, and it can improve

the course of your health, too. Therefore, we created this thread as a place to post a message, proclamation, statement, exclamation about gratitude. What makes you grateful? For what are you thankful?

Me?  This morning, I am grateful to be able to fix a breakfast including fresh organic eggs from the henhouse. And toast. Ummmmm, actual toast. Plus coffee with chicory. Yuuuuuum! (Our camp breakfast yesterday was a few chocolate covered espresso beans, cold oatmeal with dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and walnuts. That was tasty, and it got us on the road likkety-split, but this morning, I know I'll enjoy those eggs. Which, by the way, contain 50% less fat and cholesterol than store bought, have zero-to-no chance of having been contaminated in shipping and are beyond fresh. Weeee!) 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 452 of 467 (1,458 Views)

Total awesomeness! Congrats! And you look fabulous!

ASTRAEA wrote:

I am (don't laugh) grateful that American Pharoah won the Haskell Invitational race at Monmouth Park yesterday! He's brought so much interest to the sport, it was nice that his last big race brought him up a notch from Triple Crown winner, to Grand Slam status .. and his owner is a NJ resident.

I was at the track with my women's group on Saturday; annual plans for "Ladies' Day" made months before the racing season, and there was much more excitement than usual. Our group sponsored a race, and yours truly got to hand the trophy to the winning jockey:

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 453 of 467 (1,478 Views)

I am (don't laugh) grateful that American Pharoah won the Haskell Invitational race at Monmouth Park yesterday! He's brought so much interest to the sport, it was nice that his last big race brought him up a notch from Triple Crown winner, to Grand Slam status .. and his owner is a NJ resident.

I was at the track with my women's group on Saturday; annual plans for "Ladies' Day" made months before the racing season, and there was much more excitement than usual. Our group sponsored a race, and yours truly got to hand the trophy to the winning jockey:

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 454 of 467 (1,502 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...I'm grateful for our national parks, our state parks, our bike trails and the time to enjoy them...".

I'm hijacking the thread to say you have posted you're into hiking and outdoor activities. That's our motivation for maintaining health. You understand (it would appear) what it's like to do a hard hike and find yourself up at 8,000, 10,000, 12,000 or more feet with a view for 50+ miles. It's getting more difficult to do that, but we'll keep at it as long as we can.

I'm grateful for continuing to be able to hike above treeline....

Ah, you would have enjoyed our hike yesterday. 12 miles above 10,000. And at the top? (or at least our turnaround) A bald eagle soaring over a pristine alpine lake with water so blue-green clear you'd think it glass.

And today I am grateful for getting that *&^% tent back in to the bag! (hee, hee), finding a great location for our next wee jaunt, and that the broken sprinkler valve that sent water down our driveway (but not before flooding 1/2 the chicken yard) broke a mere 60 minutes before we returned home, and not, as might have been, 3 days ago. So yay!

Besides all that, I'm grateful for beautiful forests, incredible rock outcrops, the Rocky Mountains in general, and the wisdom of our great nation to set aside lands for recreation and wildlife preservation.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 455 of 467 (1,535 Views)

"...I'm grateful for our national parks, our state parks, our bike trails and the time to enjoy them...".

I'm hijacking the thread to say you have posted you're into hiking and outdoor activities. That's our motivation for maintaining health. You understand (it would appear) what it's like to do a hard hike and find yourself up at 8,000, 10,000, 12,000 or more feet with a view for 50+ miles. It's getting more difficult to do that, but we'll keep at it as long as we can.

I'm grateful for continuing to be able to hike above treeline....

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

Message 456 of 467 (1,543 Views)

I think I'm getting offline now too .. bad thunderstorm!

[ Edited ]
Message 457 of 467 (1,573 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

But I still think running a few miles a day, and weight lifting, is doing far more to stave off coronary heart disase than gratitude.

-----------------------

Good one, traveler! (Seems you could be grateful for having good sense. Smiley Happy)

I'm going to be offline a few days, so let me toss a bevy of extra thoughts of gratitude out there: I'm thankful for good health. May I one day also have good sense. Smiley Happy

I'm grateful for our national parks, our state parks, our bike trails and the time to enjoy them.

I'm grateful for friends and family to hang out with and the kind reception of strangers.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 458 of 467 (3,970 Views)

Ok. I'll bite.

I'm grateful, although a better word might be 'lucky' or 'fortunate', that DW and I have planned and set goals for 40 years, then were able to achieve them, with no major setbacks. Things happen to people beyond their control that totally disrupt their lives. I'm grateful we had nothing major, and reached our goals.

But I still think running a few miles a day, and weight lifting, is doing far more to stave off coronary heart disase than gratitude.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

[ Edited ]
Message 459 of 467 (4,022 Views)

I am grateful that I'm sort of winning the war against the aggressive vines, and have a relaxing morning at the hair salon! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Message 460 of 467 (4,126 Views)

I am grateful for the promise of renewal that comes packaged in each dawn, each early morning opportunity to reassess, redirect and reinvent! Let's go get 'em! Rah!