Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Gratitude as a Health Tool

Message 451 of 639
I'm soooo grateful for feeling good!
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 452 of 639

epster wrote:

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

I'm grateful that a person can have a happy heart despite circumstance, and that this happy heart can help improve circumstance. So to all you Howdy Doodys out there: salute! And to the Oscar the Grouches, allow me to quote Kin Hubbard: A grouch escapes so many little annoyances that it almost pays to be one.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 453 of 639

@wilfulwrote:

What a cool contraption that is!  Have never seen such a thing - and I live in SoCal!   I may have to get me one! 

Am wondering - Do you wear a helmet?  While in Denver a few months ago - we noted that even the motorcycle riders did not wear helmets.  Here in Ca - all motorcycle riders must wear helmets,  and minors must wear them even on bycycles.

Yeppers: we wear helmets, have LED lights flashing, bright flags, reflectors, air horns ... and we stay off the roads. (Only use bike trails: these bikes are super low profile, nobody is looking down at that level, even those who are looking for a bike)

People here are free to kill and maim themselves by hogg if'n they want. Chalk one up for the gene pool, right?

Here's a pic of what we wear: 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 454 of 639
wilful wrote:

What a cool contraption that is!  Have never seen such a thing - and I live in SoCal!   I may have to get me one! 

Am wondering - Do you wear a helmet?  While in Denver a few months ago - we noted that even the motorcycle riders did not wear helmets.  Here in Ca - all motorcycle riders must wear helmets,  and minors must wear them even on bycycles.

Ditto for NJ! I'd rather have "helmet hair", than nothing intact to put a helmet on!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 455 of 639

Message 456 of 639

@epster - I looked up the Catrike Expedition; what will it feel like, going from a bike that has 2 rear wheels, to one with 2 front wheels? Does it feel different, balance-wise? It also looks like with your current bike, your feet are directly in front of you on the pedals, but with the Catrike, you've actually got your feet higher than your body to pedal, and the pedals are in front of the wheels. Your current bike has conventional handlebars, but not the Catrike .. what do you hold onto/do with your hands? the Catrike must have a totally different center of gravity, with a shorter wheelbase!

____

Topic moved over here: https://community.aarp.org/t5/Diet-Exercise/Catrike-Expedition-tadpole-style-trike-versus-Sun-EZ-3-T...

Message 457 of 639

I am grateful for a relaxing morning at the salon, for my monthly manicure & pedicure!

@epster - I looked up the Catrike Expedition; what will it feel like, going from a bike that has 2 rear wheels, to one with 2 front wheels? Does it feel different, balance-wise? It also looks like with your current bike, your feet are directly in front of you on the pedals, but with the Catrike, you've actually got your feet higher than your body to pedal, and the pedals are in front of the wheels. Your current bike has conventional handlebars, but not the Catrike .. what do you hold onto/do with your hands? the Catrike must have a totally different center of gravity, with a shorter wheelbase!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 458 of 639

Also grateful for the 2 mule deer 3-pointer bucks in the front yard a minute ago. Gorgeous.

And that we harvested and processed the remains of this year's homegrown organic, non-ocean depleting, glacier-sourced-water raised, fish this weekend. Now we can make a few upgrades to the 400 gallon fish farm we've kept in the greenhouse these past 5 years. Huzzbah!

Message 459 of 639

Grateful for the changing of the seasons. Adore autumn's crisp air, warm colors, harvest bounty.

Message 460 of 639

Grateful to have quickly found a buyer for this bike. One step closer to the Catrike Expedition! Woot!