Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

So I thought I should post about what's going on for me with this thread. I'm done. 🙂 That's because a group of irl friends and I have started a new initiative: we are emailing our daily gratitude to one another first thing each morning. That way as a group we start our days seeking happiness. A very good thing.

So I'm not going to be posting here any more. 

But you sure could. Seeking to experience (and share) gratitude will change your life, I promise.

Best wishes to you.

over to you.png

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have been able to get outside two days in a row for exercise. Equally grateful for this morning's snow.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for yesterday's Chinook winds, as they allowed DH and me to be pedaling by 9:30 AM (typical winter start time: 11) so we were able to get in a 60 mile ride. An unheard of mileage for this time of year. (Hey: expending 3,250 calories during a winter workout is nuttin to sneeze at!) 

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for this 50 plus degree day. Can you say miles and miles?  I knew you could. 🙂

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to have the guts required to jump right in, like I am going to do today.  Splash! 🙂

splash.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be moving forward with yet another opportunity. When it rains it pours. Yay!

A lighthearted reaction to this flood.A lighthearted reaction to this flood.My actual reaction to this flood of opportunity. GO! :)My actual reaction to this flood of opportunity. GO! 🙂

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I did that during my employment years. Going for a job interview I would research the Facllities product and apply it to my resume. During the interview I would say yes to it all.  If you let me read, I will comprehend and apply myself.  It worked everytime and I almost always ended up in a Managerial or a Directors position.  I was very blessed in that.  I worked for temporary agencies in between jobs for awhile and that gave me lessons and knowledge of almost all work ethics and familiar with different office machines.  Protocol and behaviours.  I found this an acclimation for every position I held.  Very grateful for my work history.

Honored Social Butterfly

Today I'm just happy to be here. 🙂

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a huge business 'get' yesterday. Now to over-deliver ... wheeeeeeee!  I love this stuff! 🙂

edward-g-bulwer-lytton-edward-g-bulwer-lytton-it-is-not-by-the-gray.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

My gratitude for today's business opportunity could not be deeper, more heartfelt.

Yeeeessssss!Yeeeessssss!

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Woo Hooo!  Let the Christmas festivities begin!

Grateful for the holidays, our lack of traditions, and the many plans we have to celebrate according to our religion.

happy_christmas2012_merryxmas_greetings_wallpapers_cards_celebrations_jesuschrist(www.picturespool.blogspot.com)_08.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for changing seasons. Hello, Old Man Winter! Thanks for the snow! 🙂

Snow fall video for anyone without a White Christmas.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to share interests and hobbies with DH.  Rah!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for acts of generosity.

Honored Social Butterfly

Beyond grateful to have sold the remains of my apiary equipment to one with an earnest desire to keep bees. May his efforts be fruitful and may the honey flow with abundance.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have been able to get in one more 50+ mile trike ride before arctic air settles in for what's being forecast as 6-8 weeks. Wait ... there's 3 more days of 50s before the deep freeze arrives. Yeah: gotta go! 🙂

arctic-blast1-blog.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for small victories. Onward!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to live in a state with abundant wildlife.

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to possess the knowledge and tools with which to make medicines. Herbalism rocks.

herbalism.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Just read conservative run down of Roy Moore's situation. Grateful not to be voting in Alabama.

PS Your comments not necessary. 🙂 Really, blowing off steam, not looking for dialogue here. Thanks anyway. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for Rock N Roll and the many marvelous lyricists, like Bono.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for warmer weather this weekend ... and lots and lots of bike trail. Wooo hooo!

santas on bikes.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for humor.

our son is God.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be able to witness the rising and setting of this big glorious moon over eastern and western hills. And the bounty of Christmas lights twinkling in the valley. Simply gorgeous.

Periodic Contributor

That moon almost makes you want to be a coyote so you could stand outside and HOWL. 

Maybe it is the sky's answer to all the Christmas lights, right?

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for changing seasons. Adore the seasonal change in chores, attire, the view, the environs. Ahhhh, Old Man Winter, you are welcome here.

Old Man Winter Comes To TownOld Man Winter Comes To Town

Honored Social Butterfly

@kimjeffbill wrote:

That moon almost makes you want to be a coyote so you could stand outside and HOWL. 

Maybe it is the sky's answer to all the Christmas lights, right?

@kimjeffbill Indeed! The moon was beyond gorgeous night before last rising through misty clouds to hover over our rocky cliff. Then the next morning I watched as Luna slipped behind the hills to the west. I fully expected the coyotes to be singing lullabyes as the moon set, but they were either occupied or dozing. Maybe they'd been up all night dancing in that moonlight? 🙂

Periodic Contributor

Coyotes dancing in the moonlight, . . . . .now I really wish I had been one.  Wouldn't that be great fun to see?

Honored Social Butterfly

@kimjeffbill  We have been treated to views of them skipping along the ridge behind our house, but yes, agreed: coyotes dancing in the moonlight would be quite the sight to behold. 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP