Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have a fantastic tribe. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

I don't think gratitude is meant to be "used" for anything but itself. True gratitude is a deep feeling I have in my body and mind for anything, from something tiny to something huge, anything at that moment I feel deeply fortunate to have.  Gratitude is more about experience than things for me now.  It took many years for me to experience true gratitude for life, people, perfect moments, beauty, my garden,  a really great book  --  not really about "stuff," or things I got. So yes, I am sure gratitude is good for us physically and mentally, because it brings us out of "mememe" and into caring abouat the rest of the world.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the great people met at the South Dakota Senior games! Awesome event; even better people!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for firefighters.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a home gym.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for planet earth; hoping we humans take better care of it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have witnessed the lift-off of seven hot air balloons yesterday shortly after sunrise.  

Not what we saw yesterday, but a fun timelapse of hot air balloons taking off at a NM festival:

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for difference. I wake up and check weather reports for all upcoming race locations, then swing by athlete sites to give kudos support to any friends who posted. DH wakes up and checks tech news and is over there talking enthusiastically to the video about the new Star Wars droid, BB-9E. Seriously cute, that man. Seriously different. You know, from me. 🙂 

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for justice. Thanks, you-know-who!

fairness is justice.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful for senior games events and senior athletes. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for open doors ... even if it is only left open a crack ... LOL.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for cycling friends.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to know my place in the universe (and astronomy club nights out ... I see you Dumbell Nebula!).

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the knowledge that persistence pays off.

Persistence speech from The Founder.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful DH let me sleep in today. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

I'm grateful for faith that it will all work out.

Honored Social Butterfly

Woo hoo! Grateful for a brand new day!

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful to be comfortable in my own skin.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for last night's hard rain. wooo wheee but the hillside is loving it!

Honored Social Butterfly

Free irrigation does not irritate, instead it invites gratitude to trickle out.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for super hard workouts and weight training sessions, and time to make tweaks before our next 3 races. Zoom, zoom! 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a training route with a 6% hill and a race route with 2% hills. Rawr!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful that the 300ish calories in the small dipped ice cream cone I enjoyed today are no match for the nearly 9,000 calories I burned off this weekend. 

And that it was the one and only ice cream cone I consumed in the month of July. Huzzbah!

See ya never, ice cream calories!See ya never, ice cream calories!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for progress on a number of fronts. Rah!

progress.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be awash in possibility.

aim high.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for others willing to work the seam of recumbent racing expansion. These people rock!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for rabbits that lead to gold. (That's cycling-speak for: "Thanks everyone who ever rode the trail before me and made me a better cyclist; imma gonna chase that gold medal now.")

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the Nebraska Senior Games that let four Coloradans make history this weekend.

Honored Social Butterfly

So grateful for this rain! After last night's fender bender* coming home from the Senior Games, we both need the relaxing sounds. Yes!!!

*No one was hurt, though the woman who hit us messed up her car when she ran into the recumbent rack on the back of our car. We're investigating possible stress fracture(s) to the recumbent trike rack and possible damage to one of the trikes, but hopefully will find nothing.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for friends with whom to share good news.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP