Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Info Seeker

Re: Got A Habit You Just Can't Shake?

Message 1 of 9 (664 Views)
Me too! Smoking. 😩
Highlighted
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,564

Message 2 of 9 (958 Views)

k397840k wrote:

One of my weaknesses is buying things from QVC, not clothes necessarily, but things I can't find in stores.  For example: a hose, cookware, gadgets, etc  More recently Plants.  I was tempted to buy fragrant lily bulbs until I researched on how well they would grow in my area. And as beautiful as they were my instincts told me not to buy.  Spring has got me going to nurseries to check out plants since it's beautiful weather.  Gardening is one of my interests and I'm constantly learning new things.  Getting my hands dirty is fun, but it can easily lead to spending too much money, especially if an expensive plant dies.  But what can give you more enjoyment than being surrounded by nature?

Oh, good for you @k397840k!  I always ask myself if I "need" somthing I am tempted to buy on impulse.  Then I tell myself to wait for a week and re-visit the issue.  More often than not, my "need" to have a particular item has been downgraded to a "want."  The sales people use certain words and ideas to convey a sense of urgency...making the viewer think that if he/she doesn't purchase immediately, there will not be an opportunity to obtain the item or get a good deal.  This is not true.  

We "need" food, water, sensible clothing and shelter.  All else is negotiable...and available.  You have made the effort to identify what you want and check out the best places to find it.  Exercise, fresh air and the ability to negotiate a price acceptable to both you and the seller turns it into a healthy excursion and you get to inspect the plants in their natural state.  It sounds like a win/win to me!

Thanks for sharing!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 9 (966 Views)

One of my weaknesses is buying things from QVC, not clothes necessarily, but things I can't find in stores.  For example: a hose, cookware, gadgets, etc  More recently Plants.  I was tempted to buy fragrant lily bulbs until I researched on how well they would grow in my area. And as beautiful as they were my instincts told me not to buy.  Spring has got me going to nurseries to check out plants since it's beautiful weather.  Gardening is one of my interests and I'm constantly learning new things.  Getting my hands dirty is fun, but it can easily lead to spending too much money, especially if an expensive plant dies.  But what can give you more enjoyment than being surrounded by nature?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9 (977 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Levels of Bad Habits - Just as some people use the "humble brag," they can also mention a "bad habit" that's actually something good .. like being a perfectionist & taking a lot of time making sure things are always done right. Or their bad habit is an obsession with exercise .. where they're still on their daily run, when the Thanksgiving guests are starting to arrive.

Smoking - I'm always shocked that Israelis have such a healthy diet & active lifestyle .. but smoke a lot, even the young ones who know better. I do think some of that has to do with a fear of gaining weight if they quit.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 9 (981 Views)

I really don't know how one can quantify how bad a habit is.  I know when it's bad but can one habit be worse than another?  Personal experience tells us that some of our own habits have worse consequences...but are they bad enough for you to make a decision that you would trade one bad habit for another?

I remember when it wasn't unusual to have quite a few smokers in one's family and circles of friends and acquaintances.  I know of a lot of people who wouldn't give up smoking because they felt that they would eat more and "get fat."  I knew women who considered smoking a diet aid and denied the health consequences they risked just for maintaining their desired weight and slim figures.

Over the years, I have struggled with habits I didn't like in myself and usually won the battle through constantly reminding myself not to do it.  Sometimes I would substitute a small reward system for every 5 or 10 times I successfully resisted a habit.  Nothing major...perhaps a new lipstick or a new phonograph record...(yes, I realize this dates me back to the Stone Age!)

My worst habit right now is procrastination!  I always think that 5 minutes more to sleep, to enjoy my cup of tea, to read another chapter, to___________ (fill in the blank if you are a procrastinator as well!) whatever it is, 5 more minutes won't hurt me at all!  In reality, I'd be late for my own funeral.  I usually manage to get most places right on the dot.  It would probably be better if allowed another 5 or 10 minutes to arrive at my destination and took a few deep breaths!  HA!  I am still working on it.  😊

Message 6 of 9 (982 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Thanks! I hate thinking of people being that sneaky, but I do think that people like company, and it makes them feel less guilty about what they're eating! I have a very good friend who's a few years older than me, and the best description would be "stocky". She'll comment about not losing weight, but I've learned not to say anything, because she definitely overdoes the desserts .. and she can't possibly not realize it.

Message 7 of 9 (985 Views)

@ASTRAEA  "Just this one time..." is a phrase designed to lull someone back into a behavior they know is not good for them.  It makes you wonder why people say it!  JMO, but I think the main reason someone encourages unhealthy behaviors in others is so they can find an excuse for themselves to do it as well!  Sneaky....

"Partners in crime" are lurking everywhere.  It takes a tremendous amount of willpower to say "no" and mean it.  You are the architect of your own destiny.  Sticking to healthy choices in spite of what anyone else says is your ticket to success and a healthy life!  I applaud your strength and determination.

Message 8 of 9 (997 Views)

Interesting topic! Singles our age have an advantage when it comes to healthy habits, in that we don't have to bring unhealthy foods into our homes, for the sake of a spouse, significant other, or children .. and then having it tempt us! We probably have better control over where we go when we eat out, again being able to select healthier restaurants.

The downside of being single, is that you don't have a built in "walking/exercise buddy," or someone who protects us from ourselves, in moments of weakness! Smiley Happy

I'll share one good habit, since I've been on a somewhat restrictive diet: there's no "just this one time" for me! I can't tell you how many times I've been out for a meal with friends or a large event, where someone will say that it's OK to eat something not on my diet, "just this one time". But if you go out regularly, it's NOT "just this one time", but you wind up eating unhealthy things a couple times a week! 

Got A Habit You Just Can't Shake?

Message 9 of 9 (1,025 Views)

Good habits are worth keeping...bad habits???  Hmmm, not so much!  We are always being encouraged to "build on" good habits and lifestyle choices for our own good health and survival.

But did you wonder how those bad habits sneak in there and get their start?  And when does a bad habit become an "addiction?"  Didn't we all start doing these things because it was fun and...admit it now...gave us a slight "rush?"

Do you have any bad habits you'd be willing to share?  What have you done to get them under control?  Have you been successful?  Any tips for the rest of us?   

How about good habits?  Do you have one good habit you think has contributed to your success as a person...and you can measure success any way you choose.

To get you started, here are some habits which are sometimes hard to break and they can even become surprising "addictions."

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/ss/slideshow-surprising-addictions?ecd=wnl_spr_033117_R...