Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Got A Habit You Just Can't Shake?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 13 (1,677 Views)

js86358037 wrote:
Male; soon to be 82; in great shape for the shape I am in; Sleep 1-2 hours, then, Restless Leg/Leg Cramps get me out of Bed; usually awake the rest of night; Cat nap during day; fall asleep without even knowing it, often with food in mouth,. Have Sleep Apnea which has already cost me the sight of my Right Eye. Air got loose from CPAP Machine, dried out Right Eye; upon awakening, lid stuck to Cornea, ripping Cornea Cells from Eye. OUCH! Two Cornea Transplants - both rejuected; Glaucoma as well. When lyiong in Bed, and not particularly sleepy, began thinking and that further wakwens me. I am a walking Robot, desperately in need of adequate slerep. 

@js86358037, you really seem to be bogged down with medical issues!  Is the habit you can't break the lying awake and thnking part of your story?  Try concentrating on breathing slowly & deeply.  Then, after you have relaxed a bit, do a mental exercise that is boring but will keep you busy...go through the alphabet, one letter at a time, thinking of objects that begins with that letter.  When you run out of objects, go to the next letter.  Don't let other thoughts crowd in...just continue to do the exercise.  Most people will be asleep around the letter "C."

It sounds as if you need to put yourself ito the hands of a good neurologist.  He (or she) will be able to help you with the restless legs and leg cramping.  I don't know if you've taken the latest crop of drugs for restless legs, but you might want to consider going back to an older drug called Carbodopa/Levodopa 25/100 mg.  Also ask the neurologist if you can take something simple to help you sleep such as 5 mg. of Melatonin.  This is available over the counter.  If you usually enjoy a glass of wine or a nightcap, please discontinue it because this can disrupt your sleep.  Keep your bedroom cool and do not watch TV or use electronic devices in bed.  Take nothing with caffeine after 6 PM.  There's a old wive's tale about putting a bar of soap under the sheet at the foot of the bed to stop cramping.  Some perople swear by it.  I don't know if it truly works or is a placebo effect but when you are that miserable, anything is worth a try!  You might also want to take a Magnesium supplement...ask your doctor about that as well.

Another thing the neurologist can help you with is the sleep apnea.  There are newer masks that close off the nasal passages and fit more snugly.  They don't cover the face and the air is less likely to escape.  The doctor can refer you to a good local medical supplier who employs respiratory therapists and specify this type of mask and newer equipment.

Your description of falling asleep with food in your mouth is disturbing...as is falling asleep without even knowing it. This is quite dangerous.  I hope someone lives with you in case you are suddenly endangered by these sudden sleep "episodes."  There again, the neurologist can be your new "best friend."  Have you ever had a work-up for narcolepsy?  The neurologist can do just that and possibly get to the bottom of your sleep disturbances.

I hope you will make an appointment as soon as possible and eliminate all of the things that are making you a sleep-deprived desperate robot!  Your primary care physician can make the referral to the neurologist and speed up the appointment.  Also, please don't let your sleep deprivation cause you to forget to use your glaucoma drops!  Good luck to you!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 13 (1,685 Views)

Male; soon to be 82; in great shape for the shape I am in; Sleep 1-2 hours, then, Restless Leg/Leg Cramps get me out of Bed; usually awake the rest of night; Cat nap during day; fall asleep without even knowing it, often with food in mouth,. Have Sleep Apnea which has already cost me the sight of my Right Eye. Air got loose from CPAP Machine, dried out Right Eye; upon awakening, lid stuck to Cornea, ripping Cornea Cells from Eye. OUCH! Two Cornea Transplants - both rejuected; Glaucoma as well. When lyiong in Bed, and not particularly sleepy, began thinking and that further wakwens me. I am a walking Robot, desperately in need of adequate slerep. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 13 (1,730 Views)

I had to chuckle when I read your post!  I love nice "clubby" bars with lots of leather and wood paneling...I think I could have lived happily in the 30's and 40's as depicted by the great literary figures of the era...minus the cigarette smoke, though!  Bars don't bore me...I find the "people-watching" quite entertaining and with a nice martini to stimulate my imagination, it's a perfect way to while away a few spare hours.  

If we're talking about "roadhouses" or "beer joints," if I happened to find myself in one of those, a book would be an excellent way to pass the time, I think.  I am not particularly comfortable in some establishments.  I don't go to bars alone since I became a widow, though, but I have a few friends with a similar persuasion for good people-watching.  While I read a lot, I don't usually read in bars or restaurants...and certainly not if I have a companion.  

I had a friend years ago who was a Scottish immigrant.  She had a hard time adjusting to the idea that she couldn't just "go to the pub" for a glass of wine or a pint and to chat up the regulars when she was at loose ends or had some free time on her hands!  It was a perfectly normal activity for her.  Her new American relatives told her that such an activity was frowned upon...an unaccompanied young woman in a bar or heaven forbid!...in a "beer joint!"  Here in the coastal Atlantic south 30-40 years ago it was especially scandalous!  Nowadays, the "girls" go to "Happy Hour" without a thought to it's propriety.  If someone calls me up asking me to join a group for happy hour, I usually don't hesitate...certainly not for reasons of propriety...although I have heard a stray comment or two about women who are seen alone too often in local bars.  Such provincial thinking!  Taking advantage of an opportunity for socializing is reason enough to spend a little time in a favorite establishment.  The world has most assuredly gotten smaller in the past generation or two and we've definitely taken a page from the books of our European counterparts.  I credit the intellectually broadening experiences of education and travel, among other things.

I could happily spend hours in thrift shops and dusty used-book stores perusing the offerings they contain!  Just as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," habits can be simply habits...neither good nor bad, but a part of a life that brings pleasure and erudition to the person who engages in them.

On a scale of 1-10 of "bad habits," yours seem to be an innocent 1 or 2.  They are definitely not habits to break nor worry about unless you are spending too much time sampling the liquid "adult" refreshment they offer...Woman Wink

BTW, do you live in the northeast?  I've found the people there are way more indulgent about spending time in bars and definitely way less critical.  Some of my favorite watering holes are in the northeast...just saying!  Woman LOL

Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 13 (1,750 Views)

My day begins and ends each day in Village Inn with a book.  It is my way of relaxing and socializing.  Bars bore me no end.  My 2nd thing is thrift stores where I browse the used book sections.  I don't think either of those are a bad habit but they are things I cling to so they probably are a habit.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 13 (2,864 Views)
Me too! Smoking. 😩
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 13 (3,158 Views)

k397840k wrote:

One of my weaknesses is buying things from QVC, not clothes necessarily, but things I can't find in stores.  For example: a hose, cookware, gadgets, etc  More recently Plants.  I was tempted to buy fragrant lily bulbs until I researched on how well they would grow in my area. And as beautiful as they were my instincts told me not to buy.  Spring has got me going to nurseries to check out plants since it's beautiful weather.  Gardening is one of my interests and I'm constantly learning new things.  Getting my hands dirty is fun, but it can easily lead to spending too much money, especially if an expensive plant dies.  But what can give you more enjoyment than being surrounded by nature?

Oh, good for you @k397840k!  I always ask myself if I "need" somthing I am tempted to buy on impulse.  Then I tell myself to wait for a week and re-visit the issue.  More often than not, my "need" to have a particular item has been downgraded to a "want."  The sales people use certain words and ideas to convey a sense of urgency...making the viewer think that if he/she doesn't purchase immediately, there will not be an opportunity to obtain the item or get a good deal.  This is not true.  

We "need" food, water, sensible clothing and shelter.  All else is negotiable...and available.  You have made the effort to identify what you want and check out the best places to find it.  Exercise, fresh air and the ability to negotiate a price acceptable to both you and the seller turns it into a healthy excursion and you get to inspect the plants in their natural state.  It sounds like a win/win to me!

Thanks for sharing!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 7 of 13 (3,166 Views)

One of my weaknesses is buying things from QVC, not clothes necessarily, but things I can't find in stores.  For example: a hose, cookware, gadgets, etc  More recently Plants.  I was tempted to buy fragrant lily bulbs until I researched on how well they would grow in my area. And as beautiful as they were my instincts told me not to buy.  Spring has got me going to nurseries to check out plants since it's beautiful weather.  Gardening is one of my interests and I'm constantly learning new things.  Getting my hands dirty is fun, but it can easily lead to spending too much money, especially if an expensive plant dies.  But what can give you more enjoyment than being surrounded by nature?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 13 (3,177 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Levels of Bad Habits - Just as some people use the "humble brag," they can also mention a "bad habit" that's actually something good .. like being a perfectionist & taking a lot of time making sure things are always done right. Or their bad habit is an obsession with exercise .. where they're still on their daily run, when the Thanksgiving guests are starting to arrive.

Smoking - I'm always shocked that Israelis have such a healthy diet & active lifestyle .. but smoke a lot, even the young ones who know better. I do think some of that has to do with a fear of gaining weight if they quit.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 13 (3,181 Views)

I really don't know how one can quantify how bad a habit is.  I know when it's bad but can one habit be worse than another?  Personal experience tells us that some of our own habits have worse consequences...but are they bad enough for you to make a decision that you would trade one bad habit for another?

I remember when it wasn't unusual to have quite a few smokers in one's family and circles of friends and acquaintances.  I know of a lot of people who wouldn't give up smoking because they felt that they would eat more and "get fat."  I knew women who considered smoking a diet aid and denied the health consequences they risked just for maintaining their desired weight and slim figures.

Over the years, I have struggled with habits I didn't like in myself and usually won the battle through constantly reminding myself not to do it.  Sometimes I would substitute a small reward system for every 5 or 10 times I successfully resisted a habit.  Nothing major...perhaps a new lipstick or a new phonograph record...(yes, I realize this dates me back to the Stone Age!)

My worst habit right now is procrastination!  I always think that 5 minutes more to sleep, to enjoy my cup of tea, to read another chapter, to___________ (fill in the blank if you are a procrastinator as well!) whatever it is, 5 more minutes won't hurt me at all!  In reality, I'd be late for my own funeral.  I usually manage to get most places right on the dot.  It would probably be better if allowed another 5 or 10 minutes to arrive at my destination and took a few deep breaths!  HA!  I am still working on it.  😊

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 13 (3,182 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Thanks! I hate thinking of people being that sneaky, but I do think that people like company, and it makes them feel less guilty about what they're eating! I have a very good friend who's a few years older than me, and the best description would be "stocky". She'll comment about not losing weight, but I've learned not to say anything, because she definitely overdoes the desserts .. and she can't possibly not realize it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!