ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Getting Fit for Life .

Message 1 of 24

Epster wrote:

>> 

To go from a dress size 22 to a size 8 will require a lot more movement than a 5 minute Tabata session.   There will be pain in the beginning when a sedentary person decides to even walk around the block. I say: good! That's progress! Walk through it. Keep walking. Soon this pain will ease, and eventually you will come to know just how good you can feel.

No, I am not about discouraging anyone's get healthy goal. Perish the thought.

>>

Ok  I think the only thing left is to say that "getting fit" is a personal issue.  ExampIe, I personally have absolutely no desire to become a marathon runner.  I do enjoy walking however and will continue to do that.  

My doctor says I am fit.  Could I be more fit.. yes.  Am I going to pursue it.. no   that is my choice.  There are degrees of accomplishment in all things.  Mine are fine with me and I applaud you for yours but I don't choose them.  I am going to pursue my walking in as many traveled to locations as possible.  I am sure I will leave this world without having seen everything possible but enough to make me happy.  

If I see you biking by I will wave and say hello. Heart

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 24
  • JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES Quotes Like Success
  • The good news is that each of us gets to decide where to go, and how long we want to take to get there.  Well besides our outfits of course.. some of us really want to look good on the journey.

Getting fit for life is for many of us a change in attitude as much as it is a change in body.  If you have not been on the "health train" for most of your life, something will change your mind to get you on board;  it might be a health scare, or a bad test result or something as simple as going on a trip and not being able to keep up with the group or it might be the way you look in the last good dress you have for a special occasion. Whatever it is, the more important it is, the more of a change you might want to make.

Maybe we should just start with getting fitter. : )

Message 3 of 24

nyadrn wrote:

Epster wrote:

Oh, I am being positive. Smiley Happy Like I said a 5 minute workout is better than nothing, however it will not bring life changing health. To do that you will need to make lifestyle changes beyond the 5 minutes. About this I am positive. : )

Call it tough love, but I rail against the lie that a 5 minute workout is more than a beginning point. Smiley Happy

>>

OK. Go rail.  I will continue to support anyone's efforts to get healthy in whatever method they choose. Truth be told, individuals who are beginning a new physical endeavor should consult with a medical professional not rely on someone's opinion on a chat board.  

Ps

you should contact the author of the article Rob Fletcher and advise him that he is lying since that is your opinion. 

Smiley Happy Nah, I'll just let Mr Fletcher live with himself. 

And hey, don't misunderstand me. I have not ever said one word of discouragement to anyone who is looking to improve their health. What I said, and keep saying, is that those initial efforts, while a laudable step, are just the beginning. Each individual will need to decide just exactly what a healthier them looks like, and set appropriate goals. I applaud that. Always. At the same time, I cannot lie. If a person's goal is to be disease free, or to be med free, they need to understand what that will require of them. (I mean, if it is even possible.) The Bible calls that considering the cost of a tower. As in make sure you have the stuff to complete the task so that it does not go unfinished.

To go from a dress size 22 to a size 8 will require a lot more movement than a 5 minute Tabata session.   There will be pain in the beginning when a sedentary person decides to even walk around the block. I say: good! That's progress! Walk through it. Keep walking. Soon this pain will ease, and eventually you will come to know just how good you can feel.

No, I am not about discouraging anyone's get healthy goal. Perish the thought.

My advice to anyone looking to venture down a fitness path is to first talk with a physical trainer. Find out what he/she thinks is possible. Ask how they suggest implementing the plan. I also suggest talking with your most fit friends to find out what works for them. THEN go TELL your doctor "This is what I plan to do. Any questions, problems or advice?" 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 4 of 24

Epster wrote:

Oh, I am being positive. Smiley Happy Like I said a 5 minute workout is better than nothing, however it will not bring life changing health. To do that you will need to make lifestyle changes beyond the 5 minutes. About this I am positive. : )

Call it tough love, but I rail against the lie that a 5 minute workout is more than a beginning point. Smiley Happy

>>

OK. Go rail.  I will continue to support anyone's efforts to get healthy in whatever method they choose. Truth be told, individuals who are beginning a new physical endeavor should consult with a medical professional not rely on someone's opinion on a chat board.  

Ps

you should contact the author of the article Rob Fletcher and advise him that he is lying since that is your opinion. 

Message 5 of 24

Anyway, that's talking about a Tabata workout (interval training). A sedentary person should NOT try that as a first step to improved fitness.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 6 of 24

Oh, I am being positive. Smiley Happy Like I said a 5 minute workout is better than nothing, however it will not bring life changing health. To do that you will need to make lifestyle changes beyond the 5 minutes. About this I am positive. Smiley Happy

I believe the fat burning effects of a 5 minute workout are being oversold here. That's why I made the fridge comment. And the sugary nutrition bar comment.

I know a number of diabetics under a doctor's care who are on death's door and who are being told the equivalent of 'a 5 minute workout will burn fat all day'. It has not been enough for any of them. One fellow lost sight in one eye and frequently has numb feet. He has been under a doctor's watchful eye for 6 years. He is on a bunch of meds. He gets hauled off to ER with regularity. He sometimes cannot get out of bed. He is 60 pounds overweight. In the 6 years since the disease forced him to sell his business, he has not lost one single pound. But I see him with his cane or walker a couple times a week doing what the doctor has ordered: walking around his leach field. That's maybe a 20 minute 'workout' for him. This couple has not changed their diet, despite the obvious need. The doctor, they say, has the disease under control.

During these 6 years his and his wife's health has deteriorated, as have their finances. I wish someone had been able to get through to them about the realities of what level of exercise and nutrition could have brought them a far healthier, happier, wealthier last 6 years. 

Message 7 of 24

Epster wrote:

Absolutely. Let's just not promise life changing health with a 5 minute walk to the fridge. Smiley Happy

Now come on. No one said anything about a five minute walk to the fridge.  Let's try to be positive !

From the article
Burn More Fat All Day
So, how many calories can you burn during a five-minute workout? It depends on how hard you work. Fletcher says that you can burn up to 20 calories per minute with a high-intensity interval workout.

But the real benefit comes after the workout is complete. An intense five-minute workout can help you burn more fat all day. Fletcher says that you experience the "afterburn effect" for up to 48 hours after an intense workout. Exercise physiologists call this post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). In simple terms, it means that your body consumes more oxygen and burns more fat and calories in the hours following an intense workout.

So, your workout may only last five minutes, but the fat-burning benefits continue for the rest of the day.

Message 8 of 24

Absolutely. Let's just not promise life changing health with a 5 minute walk to the fridge. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24

Epster wrote:

This sounds good, and even five minutes of exercise is better than nothing but if we are talking life changing health improvement, 5 minutes won't get a person there. >>

Do you know how many Americans do not exercise at all?  Lots and lots.  This article is aimed at getting people to think about starting in small easily managed time slots.  Will that improve their health? Yes, it will.  If they grow to enjoy it they might even increase their work out time and start looking at nutrition etc. But you have to start and sorry but out in the real world people don't want to work out.  That is why lots of experts try to get people to start!   

If you tell your doctor that you have started doing 5 minute sets of exercise will they tell you to stop because that is not enough?  Of course not. 

Let's try and cheer on any improvement people make in their lives.  It might only be a little step to you but for them it might be the biggest most important step they ever took!  

😉. 

Message 10 of 24

This sounds good, and even five minutes of exercise is better than nothing, but if we are talking life changing health improvement, 5 minutes won't get a person there. For that, a person needs to make  a total commitment to health. Eating the right foods at the right time and in the right quantity; getting the right kind and amount of sleep for them; monitoring vitals and knowing what lifestyle adjustments are necessary to reach one's health and fitness goals. These things are the building blocks of change. There is no magic button or pill to take away inertia and the effects of a sedentary life. There is, however, making healthy choices all day long, everyday, so huzzbah to that! Smiley Happy

Marketing a super sweet fruit and nut bar as a nutrition bar doesn't make it so. Sadly.