Latest Update on the Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Get Enough Sleep!!

Message 11 of 15 (140 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - My point was that the doctor in that video said that falling asleep too fast, when you go to bed, is a sign of sleep deprivation.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 47
Kudos: 1,409

Message 12 of 15 (138 Views)

@ASTRAEA  Excellent point...but that's for later when the pre-screening has identified that sleep deprivation exists.  

The investigation into the problems may likely include such determinations to inform & provide diagnosis, interventions and treatments for the specific sleep disorder.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 13 of 15 (141 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I kind of take issue with the Dr's last point, about "falling asleep" very quickly at night. At least some of that has to do with our cortisol levels, which vary thru the day & night. It's low when we're sleeping, and rises as we wake up for the day. In the evening it drops off. If your cortisol level drops off earlier than average, you do fall asleep earlier & more quickly .. but it may just be a sign of cortisol levels being slightly "shifted," rather than sleep deprivation.

Topics: 47
Kudos: 1,409

Message 14 of 15 (144 Views)

@ASTRAEA  This is an important topic to be aware of...most of us do believe that "older people need less sleep" so we think that if we wake up after 4 or 5 hours in bed that it's just par for the course...that it's part of the "aging process" which couldn't be further from the truth, according to many references...especially those related to the "science" and study of sleep.

Rather than go into a lengthy explanation here, I offer this very short little video which lists three ways to "know" if you are getting enough sleep.  If, after a short screening like this , one finds he/she fits the profile...a more thorough investigation is in order...starting with one's health care provider who can make the appropriate referrals &/or consultation.

https://www.sharecare.com/video/sharecare-experts/michael-breus/how-do-i-know-if-i-am-suffering-from...

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Get Enough Sleep!!

Message 15 of 15 (157 Views)

How many of us have heard our peers say they "don't need as much sleep," now that they're older? It's almost a macho thing, when people boast about only needing 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night. Well ..

According to many medical experts, it's imperative for us to get about 8 hrs sleep a night, because it's restorative. WebMD, Mental Health America, Business Insider.

Even the idea that seniors don't need as much sleep, isn't true, although we may have more trouble sleeping thru the night .. a sign of an imbalance. What can you do to sleep better (from FamilyDoctor):

What can I do to sleep better?

• Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on the weekends.
  • Do not take naps longer than about 20 minutes.
  • Don't read, snack or watch TV in bed. Use your bedroom for sleep and other rooms for other activities.
  • Avoid caffeine about 8 hours before bedtime.
  • Avoid nicotine and alcohol in the evening. Alcohol might help you fall asleep initially, but it will probably make you wake up in the middle of the night.
  • Don't lie in bed for a long time trying to go to sleep. After 30 minutes of trying to sleep, get up and do something quiet for a while in a different room, such as reading or listening to quiet music. Then try again to fall asleep in bed.
  • Ask your doctor if any of your medicines could be keeping you awake at night. Medicines that can disrupt sleep include antidepressants, beta-blockers and cardiovascular drugs.
  • Ask your doctor for help if pain or other health problems keep you awake.
  • Try to exercise a little every day. Exercise helps many older adults sleep better.