The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Get Enough Sleep!!

Message 1 of 20 (448 Views)

@GuruBlond You are welcome. I wish you good sleep! Smiley Happy

A couple of thoughts from this old herbalist. Prickly (wild) lettuce is an opiate. A mild one, but neverthless it can be addictive for some people. If you have addiction issues, this may not be the sleep aid for you. DH doesn't have addiction issues, but even so I have him alternate the prickly lettuce tincture I make him with Hyland's Calms Forte. He switches off every 4 months out of an abundance of caution. Smiley Happy 

Another thing I suggest is that you be mindful of the brands available on Amazon. All brands are not created equal: some sell junk (like food manufacturers, some just don't care about quality or potency). We use NatureMade items via Amazon.

Best wishes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 20 (474 Views)

Thank you about the suggestion for Wild Lettuce as a sleep aid. That's one I hadn't heard of. I checked Amazon, and this is available in tea bag form, loose tea, extract liquid/drops, and capsules. I will probably be ordering one of these soon and see how it works for me.

The hint aout a morning banana (not one of my fav fruits, but I eat 'em) is one I may start to include. 

Regulating my go-to-bed times is one place I could probably clean up my act, too . . . but my whole life is sooo unstructured, that is a challenge, lol.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions from y'all: I really wasn't expecting that ~ thank you!

Sydney

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 20 (490 Views)

@GuruBlond DH and I have had great success in changing our sleep habits by eating a banana a day and making sure we get enough water, but early in the day. We stop drinking water 3 hours before bedtime. We eat the banana with breakfast, though the point is to keep the magnesium and potassium levels up in your system, so eating it anytime is probably fine.

Here's more: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20628881,00.html

DH also uses ear plugs and an herbal sleep aid I prepare for him using prickly lettuce.

Best wishes. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 20 (542 Views)

NO! I don't!! Chronic Insomnia plagues me constantly. I have a hard time getting to sleep at night, AND a hard time staying asleep. I waken about every hour and a half (for answering weak-bladder calls), and often can't get back to sleep easily. Seem to have to have the TV on in order to fall asleep (counter-productive!). I typically get about 3 to 5 hours a night . . . . and that, broken sleep. What I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep! I will NOT take Big Pharma drugs to sleep. I do take Melatonin, occasionally in combo with some other natural plant-based supplements. And cannibis at bedtime occasionally, really helps me to get to sleep, and maybe rack up a few more, and better quality, hours sleep. But I don't want to risk dependency on ANY outside agents. Try to use dietary manipulation to regulate it. (Bedtimes are inconsistent.)

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 20 (704 Views)

What I am looking for is the how. Between my work day and drive (12 hours), being a wife (59 months) I am challenged to get even 7 hours of sleep during the week. I try to stay in bed as long as possible every other Sunday. How do I stay consistent?

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 20 (1,299 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

If you're "deprived of sleep," whatever the reason, that is the definition of sleep deprivation.  

@Prosecco6247  No one can argue that!  Woman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

@LaDolceVita

Yes...simple concept, that one!  I'm still wondering which part of the sentence was invalid!  Woman Frustrated

https://youtu.be/-b5aW08ivHU

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 20 (1,308 Views)

If you're "deprived of sleep," whatever the reason, that is the definition of sleep deprivation.  

@Prosecco6247  No one can argue that!  Woman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

vita umbratilis
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 20 (1,309 Views)

double post

vita umbratilis
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 20 (1,318 Views)

HealthAdviser wrote:

"...the doctor in that video said that falling asleep too fast, when you go to bed, is a sign of sleep deprivation."

I'm doubting the validity of this one. If you're deprived of sleep, and tired, you'll fall asleep fast.

@HealthAdviser  Not sure I understand what you mean here.  I need some further clarification.  

BTW, welcome to the AARP discussion forums!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 20 (1,328 Views)

"...the doctor in that video said that falling asleep too fast, when you go to bed, is a sign of sleep deprivation."

I'm doubting the validity of this one. If you're deprived of sleep, and tired, you'll fall asleep fast.