What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: ‘Fat but Fit’? The Controversy Continues

Message 11 of 31

nyadrn wrote:

It is pretty difficult to motivate others as I am sure you know.  My dad was a lifelong walker who enjoyed good health and he is always a model for me.  Plus I want to be able to get around and travel and that motivates me to try to keep healthy although there is much more I could do.   I guess everyone has to find their own reasons and I hope many will.  

@nyadrn  Since all personal improvement is an inside job, there is actually nothing we can do to improve another person.

That said, I consider it important --vital-- to keep putting out these wee beacons of medical/scientific fact. Not so much for those who are here right this minute, because most of those people have made up their minds, but more so for the seekers to come. The ones looking for answers. Those are the peeps that can be reached and inspired.

Smiley Happy

Marketing 101: get your message in front of the decision maker at the point of decision. Smiley Happy 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 12 of 31

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn  No worries.

I'm a bulldog when it comes to the obesity epidemic. It has already cost my family so many times more than what I was willing to pay. It is likewise costing America many times more than I am willing to pay. Besides minding my own physical fitness, screaming here in the wilderness is about all I can do about it, though. Smiley Sad Which is a crazymaker. Sorry if my crazy spilled over. I do try to keep it contained. Smiley Wink

It is pretty difficult to motivate others as I am sure you know.  My dad was a lifelong walker who enjoyed good health and he is always a model for me.  Plus I want to be able to get around and travel and that motivates me to try to keep healthy although there is much more I could do.   I guess everyone has to find their own reasons and I hope many will.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 13 of 31

@nyadrn  No worries.

I'm a bulldog when it comes to the obesity epidemic. It has already cost my family so many times more than what I was willing to pay. It is likewise costing America many times more than I am willing to pay. Besides minding my own physical fitness, screaming here in the wilderness is about all I can do about it, though. Smiley Sad Which is a crazymaker. Sorry if my crazy spilled over. I do try to keep it contained. Smiley Wink

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 14 of 31

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn Huh?  Where did you post that you are X pounds overweight and your doc tells you to lose some?

@Epster  I did not and I apologize if your comment was not directed at those posting to this topic.  Thank you for clarifying!!

I admire your dedication to the subject of healthy living!!  

Message 15 of 31

@nyadrn Huh?  Where did you post that you are X pounds overweight and your doc tells you to lose some?

Message 16 of 31

@Epster  What is this post supposed to mean ?   

I for one do not appreciate your “tough love” post if you are implying that I am not fit, as you are in absolutely no position to know anything about my physical condition!!!

Epster wrote:

A wee spot of tough love for everyone here posting about how they are X pounds overweight and maybe the doc says lose some, but their vitals are great so they think they are the exception to the laws of nature ...

I wish you well with that, I really do.

BUT: the statistics say that extra weight will cause disease. Diabetes, heart disease, cancers, kidney failure, arthritis, sleep apnea all come to mind.  You may think you are perfectly healthy, but if you are carrying extra weight you are inviting and breeding disease even while I type. And if that extra weight is around your midsection, well... so much the worse, for your organ cells are suffering from fat overload. You may get away with it for years. Maybe you already have. But there is a balloon payment coming. If that extra weight is around your neck, your are at increased risk of stroke.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm sorry to be the one telling you this, however study after study concludes the same thing: the obesity/overweight epidemic is costing America a bundle of lives. (not to mention the exorbitant cost of health care for these individuals) 

@w4kh @nyadrn @bgsdaughter @CHUCKIE1369 I wish you each one absolutely perfect health! Smiley Happy

@RonMesnard, I think what was meant by skinny/fat (though this wasn't my term) is people who are of normal weight but who have underdeveloped muscle. People who diet via reduced caloric intake and do not exercise fit this group.

Message 17 of 31

Here's a super recent (Dec 1, 2017) study that says the harmful effects of being overweight have been underestimated. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171201104450.htm

Message 18 of 31

A wee spot of tough love for everyone here posting about how they are X pounds overweight and maybe the doc says lose some, but their vitals are great so they think they are the exception to the laws of nature ...

I wish you well with that, I really do.

BUT: the statistics say that extra weight will cause disease. Diabetes, heart disease, cancers, kidney failure, arthritis, sleep apnea all come to mind.  You may think you are perfectly healthy, but if you are carrying extra weight you are inviting and breeding disease even while I type. And if that extra weight is around your midsection, well... so much the worse, for your organ cells are suffering from fat overload. You may get away with it for years. Maybe you already have. But there is a balloon payment coming. If that extra weight is around your neck, your are at increased risk of stroke.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm sorry to be the one telling you this, however study after study concludes the same thing: the obesity/overweight epidemic is costing America a bundle of lives. (not to mention the exorbitant cost of health care for these individuals) 

@w4kh @nyadrn @bgsdaughter @CHUCKIE1369 I wish you each one absolutely perfect health! Smiley Happy

@RonMesnard, I think what was meant by skinny/fat (though this wasn't my term) is people who are of normal weight but who have underdeveloped muscle. People who diet via reduced caloric intake and do not exercise fit this group.

Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 31

When I was younger, I was very thin, but always seemed to catch a cold, get the flu, or felt gnerally not well.  Now at age 70, i know I need to lose weight and try to eat healthier, exercise but still can't shake the weight off.  However, I don't have high blood pressure, am not diabetic and don't even take any prescriptions!  I like veggies and fruits and move around a lot and exercise a couple times a week. No I am not skinny, but seem to be healthy after my last physical.  I still try to lose weight (doctor's advice) but don't obsess about it.  I don't drink soda, eat a lot of bread and keep away from processed foods.  There is no one size fits all so whatever works for you great!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 20 of 31

Good article!  The stats only show that you are at a high risk if you are obese not that you must be unhealthy.  If that was the case they wouldn't be using risk factors.  Some people just have great genes. 

I don't know what you mean by 'skinny-fat' people [metabolically obese normal weight]

That seems like an oxymoron. 

Genitisists tell us the FATSO gene regulates when we get hungry and when we get satiated.  This has to do with our blood glucose BG level.  Not everyone is the same.  Some persons are hungry while others are full at the same BG.  The unluky, must stay a little hungry all their lives to keep trim.

Then there are persons who can eat like a horse and burn it all off.

Was either group your fat/skinny group?

Your BMI is used because it predicts your health risk from how much fat you have.

Normally, extra fat adds fats/lipids to your blood.  That presents a health risk and we monitor those for health reasons.   Belly fat seems to be worse maybe because it is thicker so your waist is a health factor.