Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Exercise regimen?

Message 1 of 11 (407 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

Wow, Epster, you are my hero.    I just got back into cycling again.   I've been doing hour rides most days of the week.   My son and I are doing a 12 mile charity ride on Saturday, and I signed myself up for that Great Cycle Challenge for beating kids' cancer in June.   And then doing the Bike to the Beach ride in July from DC to Dewey Beach, DE.    And "that" will be my longest ride ever.  I've only done 25-30 miles before. 

On days I don't bike, I walk.  I want to join a gym, but I haven't pushed myself yet to do that.  I've been in my busiest season at work recently, and it's just now dying down.   So I really have no excuse now.   

@NerdyMom That's some great stuff! Awesome rides you have planned. Best wishes on Saturday!

Recumbents are the key for us: no more sore butt, wrists or neck. Getting a pair of them two winters back has greatly improved our fitness. We've ridden these recumbent trikes 5,000 miles in 17 months, so you gotta know we're having fun! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 11 (414 Views)

BDMDLS wrote:
Walking - 72 years old - just received a 6,000,000 step award from my Jawbone band. Walked 3,000 miles in 15 months.

That's amazing!  Smiley Happy 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 11 (419 Views)

Wow, Epster, you are my hero.    I just got back into cycling again.   I've been doing hour rides most days of the week.   My son and I are doing a 12 mile charity ride on Saturday, and I signed myself up for that Great Cycle Challenge for beating kids' cancer in June.   And then doing the Bike to the Beach ride in July from DC to Dewey Beach, DE.    And "that" will be my longest ride ever.  I've only done 25-30 miles before. 

On days I don't bike, I walk.  I want to join a gym, but I haven't pushed myself yet to do that.  I've been in my busiest season at work recently, and it's just now dying down.   So I really have no excuse now.   

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 11 (462 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have an exercise regimen?  Tell us about what works for you.

DH and I are in our late 50s. We are, or so says our doctor, ridiculously fit. Whatever that means. Smiley Happy

Neither of us have any conditions or diseases and neither of us are on any prescription drugs. I do prepare herbal remedies for DH's Seasonal Affected Disorder, his allergies and also a sleep aid for him. 

We are gold medal winning competitive cyclists, so ...

We walk 4- 4.78 hilly miles four or five times a week at or around 4 miles per hour.

2-3 times a week we put in 30-45 minutes with some combination of hand weights, an ab roller, a hula hoop, a mini trampoline, resistance bands, a magic circle and an exercise ball for strength training and cardio.

We ride 100-150 miles each week on area bike trails. We are generally riding near or above 18 miles an hour, so try to schedule these workouts for times when other users are at a minimum. (Much safer for everyone)

In about a month we will be trading one of the mid-week walks for a grueling ride up a crazy steep hill near our home, as one of the races we plan to enter this year is a 3 mile race up a hill. 

I'll tell you after our 2017 racing season if this works for us. Smiley Happy I mean, it does in terms of keeping us fit. Question is: will we be able to defend our racing titles and maybe best our previous times? We hope so.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 11 (499 Views)

@k734829s - Congratulations on your weight loss, but especially on doing it a healthy way!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 11 (505 Views)

I am 52 going on 53....I am 5'2 and have been small framed and in good shape all of my life...that is until my late 40's at which time I began to gain weight fairly quick....over the years I went from 110 to 153 thanks to menopause and stress...oh and plain old not taking care of myself...I have a physical job and I am pretty active so I figured I would never have to battle my weight or health issues. Along with weight gain came arthritis issues stomach issues and just not feeling healthy overall. This went on for several years until Jan 9 2017....I began a 30 challenge I had seen on facebook....I had tried all kinds of diets exersize routines....nothing was working...up until Jan 9, I thought for sure I had something terribly wrong with my health....spent tons of money at the doctor expecting to find out the worse. Nothing....just the doctors wanting wanting to put me on long tern stomach pills and telling me I needed to lose weight and offered me diet pills etc....not one asked me about my diet....

Any way, here I am today...weighing in at a healthy 135 lbs so far...and I did it all on my own....I committed myself to a healthy clean eating lifestyle....As of Jan 9 2017, I have officially lost 18 lbs, I eat only clean food and organic, no processed... no sodas still have my wine and a martini when I want....and have graduated from walking on the beach 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week to now jogging it...which before Jan 9 was out of the question due to arthritis low energy and overweight...I do yoga and some light dumbells squats...floor exersizes as well....

I look healthy and I have had to buy new clothes. My family and friends are amazed and I have not received so many compliments in my life....all because I eliminated processed foods and started clean eating....oh and I am never hungry...I am loving being little again and feeling great....my 10 year old granddaughter recently came for spring break and she could not believe the change...my husband began eating this new way with me as well and has lost 20 lbs...he doesnt even exersize!!!! There is so much crap in the food we eat it is poisoning us....I left out the best part of all....I have no more stomach problems....no more medicne and the aches and pains are minimal....TURMERIC has helped improve that!!!!...I am happier than I have been in ages and I look awesome for almost 53!!!! #cleaneatingis the only way!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 11 (1,945 Views)
Walking - 72 years old - just received a 6,000,000 step award from my Jawbone band. Walked 3,000 miles in 15 months.
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 11 (2,111 Views)

I go to Planet Fitness - M - W - F - and do a two-hour workout

66 year old Male - played recreational level sports in my younger life

Football - Baseball - Tennis - Raquetball & Squash - Softball - Volleyball - Hiking

At PF I do the following...................

Start with 2 minutes of stretching Hamstrings

Universal Gym for 4 Rotator Cuff exercises - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Leg Machine for Quadriceps - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Arm Machine for Bicep - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Leg Machine for Tenso - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Treadmill for 10 minutes + 3 mins for cool down - adding speed and incline as tolerated 

Arm Machine for Triceps - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Leg Machine for Glutes - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Ab Machine - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Leg Machine for Abducter - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Elliptical Machine for 10 mins - + 3 mins for cool down - adding resistance and speed as tolerated 

Stretching for 5 minutes

Back Machine for lower back muscles - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Rowing Machine - adding weight and reps as tolerated

Stationary Bike for 10 minutes - + 3 mins for cool down - adding speed and resistance as tolerated

Go Home and Die for a day and start over

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 11 (2,228 Views)

To maintain a strong, flexible body, I practice yoga daily.  Sometimes it is a class while other days it is a 10-15 minutes at home.  Additionally, I enjoy 1-2 Pilates classes per week and running (using Galloway's Run, Walk, Run method) a few times per week.  I run at least 6 Half Marathons annually and other shorter distances.

Maura
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 11 (2,243 Views)

Weight lifting 4 times a week

5k jog, 4 times a week

one step class, and one Pilates class a week.

DW and the dog also jog with me. I've tried to take the dog to Pilates as she does a great plank and down-dog, stretch routine every morning. Didn't get anywhere with that.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”