The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Excerise

Message 1 of 18 (1,960 Views)
I am new to AARP and in WA state.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 18 (3,079 Views)

Hi there.  Have you tried Vibram barefoot running shoes?  I hated running, but bought a pair when I was 60 and have been running for 5 years!  My husband used to have miserable feet and used custom orthotics to ease some of the pain.  Now that he's using barefoot toe shoes, his feet have become strong; he has no pain and never uses orthotics - even pulls the insoles out of all his business shoes now.  We use toe shoes for running and everywhere but work.  They changed our lives.  Good luck to you!  I know how much better one feels when exercising regularly.

Thanks and good luck.

Sue

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 18 (3,361 Views)

Mstretch, I like your style !  What a unique way to get the house cleaned ................  Woman LOL

Sandee2
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 18 (3,465 Views)

In September, 2015 I started taking 2ea Fish oil tablets & 2ea Glucosamine Chondrotin tablets a day and started a walking program. I now am able to walk 3 miles in under one hour. I'm planning on walking a 10 Km  in Oct, 2016.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 18 (3,501 Views)

Most gyms today have 'Senior' classes.  If you have Medicare suplamental insurance chances are that insurance will pay for you to go to the gym.  If not, it is probably about $25 to $40 a month.  The good thing is the instructor will very the routine so you won't get bored and you will get cardio and strength training.  Also, you meet new people.  Sometimes my class will get together to see a movie or take a tour of a nearby historical location.  And don't think people are judging you.  I used to feel that way (and several people have told me they felt the same) until I realized that everyone is too concerned about themselves and don't have time to worry about you.  Good Luck! and have fun.  KD

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 18 (3,512 Views)

Try yoga.  It is light excercise but designed for concentrated benefits.  It is perfect for our age group.  Good luck with it.  You can do it Bro!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 18 (3,514 Views)

I too was looking for some exercise for Seniors and I found a really good exercise program, the guy is a fitnes trainer and he does the work out with you. He has many options to get started from a 15 minute to 30 minute work out. hasfit.com is the website, check it out. I also walk outdoors as well for 30 minutes in better weather.  

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 18 (3,521 Views)

Does your insurance provide Silver Sneakers gym membership?  Been doing these classes for a year and am so much stronger.  They include cardio, hand weights and stretching.  Don't want to miss classes as we have the very best instructors!  At any time you feel you can't stand up to do exercises you may always sit it chair.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 18 (5,385 Views)

Hi!  Wanting to be active again, I started at age 57, and I was in very poor shape after having a sitting job for years.  I went to the Y and started taking a deep water toning class 3 afternoons a week.  After a year and a half, I got brave and took a swimming class (I was deathly afraid of water).  It has been 9 months since I first stuck my head in the water and now I am swimming at least 45 min to 90 minutes a day, even doing butterfly.  My leg, back, and core muscles have have strengthened, lengthened, and broadened. The more I swim, the stronger my arm and shoulder muscles become.  I also take a Tai Chi class at the Y; all gentle easy movements that keep me moving for an hour (where normally I would be seeking a seat after standing for just a short time.)  I eased back into exercise and tried different things to find out what worked for me, meaning Yoga didn't because I can't tolerate weight on my wrists, and the recumbent bikes at the Y make my legs go numb.  I also bought a good bike (an Electra Townie) that made bicycling a delight instead of chore, and when the weather is good, I go for a 3-mile bike ride at the local (paved) cemetary two times a day.  The take-away I am intending to convey, is to find what works for you, ease into it, and progress at your own pace.  If you like what you are doing, I think you will keep doing it.  

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 18 (5,541 Views)
Sitting yoga is a nice way to reenter the world of getting back into shape. You must train your mind to be at peace to be able to accomplish your daily goals..