Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Eating Healthy Everyday!!

Message 1 of 21 (523 Views)

I try to eat blueberries, the super fruit, kale, the super vegetable, and quinoa, the super grain, every day. I avoid beef but often eat fish and chicken. I eat no pastry and little bread, usually whole wheat. By eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, I have enjoyed excellent health and kept my weight, blood pressure, C-reactive protein, triglycerides, and cholesterol in the normal range. I drink no liquids with calories aside from skim milk and wine occasionally. I truly enjoy food and have found that nutritious foods are also very delicious.

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 21 (761 Views)

Just back from a whirlwind trip to another state. We packed sardines, bananas, boiled eggs, veggie rich whole wheat pasta salad, nuts, apples, avocado, organic crackers and some bruschetta. Also lettuce and an olive, yogurt/mustard, onion capers mix and three slices of organic whole wheat bread. 

We ate sardines and olive mix on lettuce; fruit for an on-the-road picnic; pasta salad for dinner (carbo loading before an athletic event); boiled egg and avocado on toast and a banana for breakfast; a simple ham sandwich (the free athlete's lunch: worst-for-you food all trip) for lunch, and stopped at Walmart for an organic salad and some calorie free, salt free, carb free, sugar free dressing (with some sunflower seeds on top) for dinner and an organic apple, split a banana at around midnight (we arrived home at 6AM).

Easy peasy to eat what serves your body while on the road. Really. 

Or so I think, anyway. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 21 (770 Views)

sh3451800 wrote:
We eat an organic plant based diet - nothing with a mother or a face. It is delicious and hopefully a healthy choice. Would never go back to eating the SAD diet, we do not take any Rx and grateful for that.

I think it is hysterical to refer to the Standard American Diet as the SAD diet..  what a play on words.  However, it is not very effective.  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 21 (853 Views)

I adhere to the same exact dietary regime and lifestyle, and reap the benefits

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 21 (880 Views)

oreo2006  

I eat vegies, salads, fruits with my normal meals every day. I stay away from bread.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 21 (1,809 Views)

Calhounwoman wrote:

Thank you for your inspiring insight...74 and drug free; You are my kind of mentor!

Hoooooyaaaaaahhhhhh!

@sc7258 And a Huzzbah! from me! My kind of mentor as well!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 21 (1,828 Views)

@sc7258Thank you for reminding us that we need to be our own health and wellness advocates.  Afterall, we are the only one living in this body!

Thank you for your inspiring insight...74 and drug free; You are my kind of mentor!

Hoooooyaaaaaahhhhhh!

Fey Lady
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 21 (1,850 Views)
I agree with the findings about fries. I started having serious trouble after many years of eating fast food in general, It all started over 40 years ago with so called creamer for your coffee, which is nothing but high frutose corn syrup. I started having stomach cramps and felt weird . I also had the same reaction to fried foods We now have a generation of junk food eaters , popping purple and other pills not realizing or not wanting to know that the foods, especially with preservatives, they're eating are killing them. The doctors in general don't have time to find out what "small" problems you have and just give you another pill to "fix" it until they, the chemical companies, have a recall because the pill is destroying something else in your body, or you get something worse.
Get a clue seniors, you are responsible for your own body and you need to at read the ingredients and information on the packages or bottles, ask questions or at least look it up on the computer.
Oh just in case your wondering, I'm a soon to be 74 year old female who is not on any drugs, only natural thyroid and vitamins. I can still have spells of not feeling well and the first thing I think of is , what did I eat , and I usually find the answer there.
Conversationalist

Message 9 of 21 (1,903 Views)
Yes, us too - 100% Vegan & no one believes our age - big benefits in health are the bonus for respecting all living things & our beautiful planet!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 21 (2,258 Views)

I like and agree with your approach. No single food, vitamin or potion has ever been the 'answer' for me. Rather a healthy balanced diet, a balanced approach to life including a healthy lifestyle and stress management have been the formula for me. I have been advised to stay away from flaxseed due to side effects by my homeopathic Dr.  

Epster wrote:

@sunday46 To your improved health!  Huzzbah!