The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 11 of 41 (4,728 Views)

IMG_2350.JPG

I'm in Maryland and it's not as pretty as many other parts of the US. But I just finished my six mile morning hike looking at this. So I'm happy enough. Smiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 41 (3,932 Views)

yes in a word...colorado!

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 41 (2,076 Views)

Where do you live? I want to move there!!!! Ocean and dogs and small town life with good neighbors is what I long for.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 41 (2,076 Views)
Ism, I want to live where you do! Where do you live?

I am in the mountains in New Mexico and am water starved. Can't wait to get back near the Atlantic Ocean where I grew up. Hopefully I can do it in one or two years.
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 41 (1,857 Views)

yes I do - we moved to a desert community in the Southwest -  snakes, intense heat, boring social life  - lots of draining and banal  conversations - I have been sick for three and a half years.

We have our house for sale so we can go back to seasons, trees and the lake in East Tennessee that we loved.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 41 (2,086 Views)

I stayed in Oklahoma for the first six years of my marriage.  By the end of that six years I was in very ill health, from heat, bugs, everything.  I gained weight. I had a couple of heat strokes.  I got so dehydrated they made me take salt pills to be thirsty.  I wanted to go back to Oregon with every beat of my heart.  I finally grabbed my kids, and landed back home with a three year old and a six year old and a hundred dollar bill.  Six months later, I'd lost the weight, was energetic, happy, working and doing well.  My husband finally gave up and came out here, but he started going downhill over the next few years.  He would take vacations home, but he began drinking and died in 2006 of liver cancer.  Marry close to home, and stay where you feel healthy.  I was 27 then, now seventy, might still be a member when I hit 110.  Earlie Masciantonio  I will never leave Oregon again.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 41 (1,936 Views)

Yes I do. I spent 55 years in Mi. and had pneumonia twice, bronchitis and have had rheumatoid

arthritis for 28 years. We've moved to a lot of different places, and I've found that the moderate

NW temps, the mild winters, and easy access to acupuncture have helped me tremendously.

I haven't been ill since I left other than my arthritis. We left Mi. in 2003 and we'll never go back

to those horrible winters and summers were too humid. We're in Wa. now and love it here.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 41 (1,958 Views)

Yes, for sure. We live about 30 miles North of the District of Columbia. We have a laid back conservitive community. We have access to fresh fruit and vegetables and fresh meat if one is so inclined. We can not walk to the store, but can walk in parks. 

k397840k wrote:

That depends on where you live, and of course, what you eat, and your interests.  I believe speeding up your heart rate by running does not extend your life.  Taking a nap does.  Lol  and given reports of the SW reaching temps into 3 digits isn't what those who moved from cold climes expected.  I lived in snowfall states and now live in a moderate climate that allows enjoyment of the outdoors much of the year.

Info Seeker

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health? yes, i do. i have severe arthritis

Message 19 of 41 (2,783 Views)

yes, i do. i have severe arthritis, as do most of the women in my family. cold weather is very abusive to my bones--especially my spine. when i lived in ohio (where i am from), i almost never went outside in the winter. i am 70 yrs, and i believe i would be in a wheel chair, or bedridden, or dead.  it is bad enough here in florida, but so much better than up north.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 20 of 41 (2,788 Views)

That depends on where you live, and of course, what you eat, and your interests.  I believe speeding up your heart rate by running does not extend your life.  Taking a nap does.  Lol  and given reports of the SW reaching temps into 3 digits isn't what those who moved from cold climes expected.  I lived in snowfall states and now live in a moderate climate that allows enjoyment of the outdoors much of the year.