AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 1 of 41

Yes! The air quality is rarely good in downtown Chicago and it’s affecting our lungs. It’s hard to get motivated to walk very far when the wind chills are low, as well.  When in FL, the only time air quality effects our lungs is during times of red tide.  We walk a lot more (except when it’s extremely hot) and enjoy nature more.  Interpersonal interactions tend to be more pleasant, also.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 41

I do somewhat. I live in Indiana and the weather goes from one extreme to the next, within hours, sometimes. Also.. we live in my childhood home. My Mother, Father and younger brother are all deceased. It sometimes makes me sad to know we were all together as a family here as I grew up, and now..have none of them. My husband and I both are to the point where we detest winter. Also the house needs lots of updating and a new roof, and we don’t have the money to put into it. It is a rather big property and home. It’s getting to be too much. We want to try to fix as much as we can and move out of state. At least that’s our hope. We are both on disability, but my husband usually feels way worse than I do because he has some seriously pinched nerves. But another reason we think this may be interfering with our health is we are surrounded by fields, and also fear there is mold in the bedroom (likely). I suffer from allergies as do 3 of our 7 dogs 😔. I have MS, but stay physically fit and belong to a fitness & nutrition program, while my husband has fibro, has had a broken back, ankle and a partial knee replacement. He has degenerative disc disease.. which is relatively bad and I mentioned the pinched nerves that gives him headaches nearly daily. I have a torn meniscus in my R knee, but so long as I’m not down in a bending position or the like, it doesn’t bother me much. 

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 41

I wasn't born in Oregon either but I agree with you 100%. Oregon is amazing. The only negative thing about Oregon is the politics and the healthcare, otherwise it's an incredibly beautiful place. The weather is nearly perfect, the people are great, the scenery and wildlife are spectacular. Oregon is definitely my happy place.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 41

I wasn't born in Oregon either but I agree with you 100%. Oregon is amazing. The only negative thing about Oregon is the politic and the healthcare, otherwise it's an incredibly beautiful place. The weather is nearly perfect, the people are great, the scenery and wildlife are spectacular. Oregon is definitely my happy place.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 41

We agree one hundred per cent!!!  We've lived in  N.Ca., N.Or., Wa., Mi., Ar., Mexico twice.

The Northwest has the best summers around!  Great Autumns and Springs too, with a mild

winter normally. There are years that are record making. But, most years are moderate and

beautiful. It's soo serene and beautiful here too!  We're in Wa. now. Loved Oregon too.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 41

I lived in Oklahoma 16 miserable months when my late husband's job took us there from Oregon.  I visited Oregon 6 times during the time I lived in Oklahoma.  When the opportunity came to move back to Oregon, we took it, and I've never left since.  I too love Oregon.  It's summer now, and we have the best weather.  Can't beat the blue skies, cool mornings, and warm days.  Well, Fall until Halloween, may be just as great.  Oh, the changing of the leaves and cooler days are the best.  Just can't decide... I may not have been born in Oregon, but since I was 16 burning up in Phoenix, **bleep**, my heart has been in Oregon, and I'll die an Oregonian, God willing!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 41

Lived in NJ for 29 years and never had any allergies. Live in NM now. The first 10 years were ok. Now for the past 25 years I have allergies year round. Hoping to move back to east coast (not Florida) in a year or two.

Info Seeker

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health? yes, i do. i have severe arthritis

Message 8 of 41

My osteoarthritis is worse in FL. Dry warm weather is better for me 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 41
Sounds like u are in El Paso. TX?
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 41

Moved to Florida from Colorado. Non stop allergies here for 2 yrs now. Never had allergies in the 30 yrs I lived in Denver and in the SW. It is too hot & humid to go outside. The ocean has red tide (algae) most times. I gained 10 lbs because I'm less active in FL. In Colorado I was outdoors all the time and much healthier. I am pretty healthy but the allergies here are starting to affect my lungs (chest discomfort) I have never smoked. My nose is stuffy all the time. It rains a lot. Mold grows everywhere. I never had any allergies in my 61 years. This climate does not agree with me and my 2 Yorkies have yeast infection and scaps on their skin. They were also very healthy in Colorado and in west Texas. I told my husband I want to move out of FL