How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health? yes, i do. i have severe arthritis

Message 1 of 23 (168 Views)

yes, i do. i have severe arthritis, as do most of the women in my family. cold weather is very abusive to my bones--especially my spine. when i lived in ohio (where i am from), i almost never went outside in the winter. i am 70 yrs, and i believe i would be in a wheel chair, or bedridden, or dead.  it is bad enough here in florida, but so much better than up north.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 2 of 23 (175 Views)

That depends on where you live, and of course, what you eat, and your interests.  I believe speeding up your heart rate by running does not extend your life.  Taking a nap does.  Lol  and given reports of the SW reaching temps into 3 digits isn't what those who moved from cold climes expected.  I lived in snowfall states and now live in a moderate climate that allows enjoyment of the outdoors much of the year.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 23 (444 Views)

Absolutely!!!!  As you age, your skin is thinner, you catch colds faster as well as the flu and its complications.  If I lived in say **bleep** I wouldn't have half the colds I do.  If as the Doctors say cold weather is better for you - why is it I get colds., flues etc in the winter.  Sure we're inside and able to catch it faster from each other but what about those of us who go to the mailbox and back.  Sorry Doctors you're "practicing" and that's it.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 23 (627 Views)

There is no Local "Y" here in Oakland, Maryland.  I am hoping I can find a good friend to walk with me.  

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 23 (689 Views)

YES, of course. I lived in South FL and enjoyed walks and Vita Course exercise stations on waterfront city parks. Well lighted, lots of people of various ages about, we felt safe, and enjoyed nice evening weather. So we kept fit and agile and in good shape and healthy. Moved to south-central TX and combination of hot stormy weather and not near shores or nice walkable parks turned us into "Mall Walkers", got exercise but it was much less desirable. Moved close to family in south eastern Ohio and we have to go to an indoor gym now. Its hilly here and weather is difficult, and there is absolutely nothing nearby in improved walkable parks! Our fitness and health declined this year! Not happy.

Topics: 1,074
Kudos: 11,821

Message 6 of 23 (1,013 Views)

cw87027326 wrote:

Yes, I do believe where I live affects my health overall.  I feel very isolated and my husband will not go for walks with me in the evening.  We both should be walking more but there is an inherent danger where we live, due to strangers and basically, nowhere to walk that is fully lighted.  We have a very small circle of friends and they do not walk either.  

Hi

Do you have a local Y where there might be a walking group?  or can you walk in the earlier evening or morning?  How about a church group?  You are right that walking is good for everyone and even regular shorter walks would help.  I hope that you find someone to walk with!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Topics: 1,074
Kudos: 11,821

Message 7 of 23 (1,016 Views)

lsm15225 wrote:

Absolutely! A combination of retirement and moving to a block from the ocean, has meant I sleep better and feel calmer than ever before. Listening to the waves and being able to walk around the safe neighborhood, greeting locals and their dogs, and participating in small town life has all contriubuted to my current healthy (both physically and mentally) blissful state!

Your comments makes sense to me because I love living near the water.  It is such a calming factor in a today's busy lifestyles.  After a long day of dealing with telephones and email and commuting you can sit back and listen to the waves and just enjoy the view.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 23 (1,064 Views)

Yes, I do believe where I live affects my health overall.  I feel very isolated and my husband will not go for walks with me in the evening.  We both should be walking more but there is an inherent danger where we live, due to strangers and basically, nowhere to walk that is fully lighted.  We have a very small circle of friends and they do not walk either.  

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 23 (1,176 Views)

Yes, where I live affects my health both positively and negatively.  We live in a small rural mountain community that has clean air, virtually no pollution (if you don't count cleaning the chicken coop), etc.  On the negative side, we have extreme heat which makes me dehydrated constantly.  Also, there's not much to do socially and since houses are far apart (I have no neighbors within over a mile on three sides of me and the third neighbor is never home and I've never met them) we don't really have "neighborhoods".  I feel isolated and lonesome.  I email friends and relatives daily but that's not the same.  When I lived in the city I had places close by to go and lots of people to talk with.  Now life is a void and my husband refuses to move. 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 23 (1,186 Views)

Yes I know it affects my health