Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Health

Info Seeker
bmh09

Do you exercise regularly?

I am a 68-year-old woman who exercises 6 out of 7 days a week. I usually go to my local YMCA to take regular classes (not ones designed for seniors) and do 5k on the treadmill once a week. Is there any other senior out there who has a similar exercise routine, or am I kind of a freak?!  I'm very interested in finding out typical fitness schedules of people my age.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
foxbrent

Re: Do you exercise regularly?

Yes I did 10- 20 push ups and sit ups every morning and some capuera before the day ends.
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
vegaspeach

I do enjoy walking on a regular basis and during the nice weather I get into a regular routine of walking for at least an hour each morning. We have only 2-3 months of cold here and during that time I do zumba classes.
I always feel better and have much more energy when I start the day with a walk or class.
Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
GlassKnees

Yes, I exercise regularly. I'm a 62 year old male. I ride a bike, typically 35 - 40 miles at least four days/week. I have ridden 100 miles in under 6 hours. I also swim - about 2000 yards (10 sets of 200's - kicks, pulls).I also lift weights, mainly focus on legs - Need muscle strength around damanged knee for stability, and focusing on upper body strength to improve my swimming.
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
roxeli

I'm a 51 year runner so I train for races six day a week.  That has me runnning 18 to 24 miles per week, strength training 3 times per week, and I don't drive so I walk EVERYWHERE. 

I can't even begin to imagine a sedentary lifestyle for myself at ANY age.  I love being active.  I'm addicted to fitness.  I feel great and have no health issues.  I also keep a clean diet of mostly raw fruits and veggies with no animal products besides honey and some goat cheese on occassion. 
Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
RT59

I'm 56 and alternate between running 6 miles one day and calisthenics/weights the next. I used to run pretty much every day, but as my knees get older I find it better to give them a break every other day and do other kinds of strengthening exercises with them on the off days.

Weight control is more of a problem as I get older. Exercise alone isn't enough; I've had to start watching intake (do some dieting). When I was younger, if I needed to lose a few pounds I just ran a bit further. But nowadays if I try to do a sudden increase in my workout, I just end up injuring myself. So now I have to be a little more holistic and look at both intake and output of calories and strike a balance.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPTeri

It is proven how important exercise is for your mind as well.  Here is a recent article AARP wrote regarding it:

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPTeri

Here is a great new article that gives 50+ best all around exercises!
AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
gymdandee

I'm 68 years old and belong to a gym. I go Mon.- Fri. I do strength and cardio. Strength on Mon. Wed. and Fri. Cardio Mon- Fri. I do Strength first and Cardio last. The Cardio is an interval cardio it's called the Peak 8 Routine. I used to have my own home gym but my wife and I are looking to downsize and move to an adult community. My picture is below.

In Response to Do you exercise regularly?:

I am a 68-year-old woman who exercises 6 out of 7 days a week. I usually go to my local YMCA to take regular classes (not ones designed for seniors) and do 5k on the treadmill once a week. Is there any other senior out there who has a similar exercise routine, or am I kind of a freak?!  I'm very interested in finding out typical fitness schedules of people my age.
Posted by bmh09

Please use plain text.
Regular Social Butterfly
MichaelSpitzer

For most people over 50, the combination of a healthy diet + 30 minutes of cardio exercise  and weight resistance training 3 days per week can make a WORLD of difference.

I think many folks are beginning to realize weight training + cardio + logical eating is the closest thing we have to an "anti-aging" or at least "slowing the hands of time" elixir.

Michael Spitzer
www.highpointproducts.com

Please use plain text.