Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Coloradan Named 2017 Senior Athlete at AQHA World Championship Show

Message 1 of 8 (115 Views)

@HammH  Thanks for the reality check. (Thanks, too, for going riding with us this AM. Smiley Happy)

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 8 (141 Views)

Epster wrote:

ASTRAEA wrote:

That sounds similar to getting a medal in a particular senior age category, because either no one else was in that age range, or the winner was at the low end of the age range .. while the others were significantly older.

I appreciate your view.

As the sole female recumbent racer so far in each of my races, --which means I could have had a tea party in the middle of each race and still taken gold-- I can tell you that nobody handed me unearned gold medals. At my first senior games I bested the standing course record by 13 minutes. In my next senior games I beat the times of two of the male recumbent racers, one of whom is a very decorated triathlete, and a number of the men and women who were riding upright bikes (and ths not in my division). I was on a trike.  At yesterday's South Dakota games, where I won 3 gold medals and set the course record for recumbent trike, my times beat half a dozen men and all but one upright riding woman. Still, at each one of these events I was the one and only woman racing in my divsion. And it isn't just me: this scenario is going on all over the country because we are racing in an emerging sport. DH, too has been racing all by himself in his division. But he's put down some truly amazing speeds: three of us --all racing alone in our divisions-- average 20 mile per hour on trikes in a 20K last month in Nebraska. These are really good speeds, excellent efforts. Just because they are the only ones racing in their divisions in no way negates those accomplishments.

Not at all like giving an award to people for showing up.

@Epster  Youdo have senior games thinkology on the brain. Makes sense.

I agree with what you said here. People seem to use age as an excuse for getting old. I know someone who believes that the 80 extra pounds she carries is healthy. She's diabetic and on a ton of meds and uses a walker for anything more than 30 yards. She's only 62. Frankly, I am mentally preparing for her to pass within the next 3 years. Sad.

This guy on his horse is maybe the opposite of that: he is fit, getting out and looking like he's in good health. That's practically award winning for his generation. I say give him the award. 

Message 3 of 8 (172 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

That sounds similar to getting a medal in a particular senior age category, because either no one else was in that age range, or the winner was at the low end of the age range .. while the others were significantly older.

I appreciate your view.

As the sole female recumbent racer so far in each of my races, --which means I could have had a tea party in the middle of each race and still taken gold-- I can tell you that nobody handed me unearned gold medals. At my first senior games I bested the standing course record by 13 minutes. In my next senior games I beat the times of two of the male recumbent racers, one of whom is a very decorated triathlete, and a number of the men and women who were riding upright bikes (and ths not in my division). I was on a trike.  At yesterday's South Dakota games, where I won 3 gold medals and set the course record for recumbent trike, my times beat half a dozen men and all but one upright riding woman. Still, at each one of these events I was the one and only woman racing in my divsion. And it isn't just me: this scenario is going on all over the country because we are racing in an emerging sport. DH, too has been racing all by himself in his division. But he's put down some truly amazing speeds: three of us --all racing alone in our divisions-- average 20 mile per hour on trikes in a 20K last month in Nebraska. These are really good speeds, excellent efforts. Just because they are the only ones racing in their divisions in no way negates those accomplishments.

Not at all like giving an award to people for showing up.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 4 of 8 (193 Views)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 8 (298 Views)

Yeah. I think so.

The horse and rider are in good shape, plus they are the oldest duo. So, yeah, give them the award.

Message 6 of 8 (301 Views)

I mean, as we can all appreciate, staying fit and riding one's horse, presumably well, is worth recognition. 

I guess I have Senior Games thinkology on the brain. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8 (353 Views)

Mr Morgan and his horse both look quite fit, but all they had to do to be named senior athletes was to have the highest combined age. The article doesn't say how they did in competition.

What do you think, should they have had to win a competition to be named Senior Athletes?

Coloradan Named 2017 Senior Athlete at AQHA World Championship Show

Message 8 of 8 (354 Views)

AQHA crowns the 2017 Nutrena Senior Athletes of the Show at the Adequan® Select World.

American Quarter Horse Association

Journal photoJournal photo

Butch Morgan of Elbert, Colorado, and SF Check Me Out were named the 2017 Nutrena Senior Athletes of the Show at AQHA Select World Championship Show, presented by Adequan(r). AQHA presented the award to Morgan on August 29 at the Tri-State Fairgrounds in Amarillo, TX. The award is presented to the exhibitor and horse with the highest combined age competing at the Adequan® Select World. The Nutrena Senior Athletes of the Show award recognizes not only the exhibitors, but their equine partners. AQHA has proudly teamed with AQHA Corporate Partner Nutrena on this award since 2012.

SF Check Me Out is a 1999 bay gelding by Look Whos Larkin and out of Katie Chex by Docs Fritzl Chex. The pair showed in heading and heeling.

Read the entire story here: https://www.aqha.com/shows/select-world/news/08302017-2017-nutrena-senior-athletes/