ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Cancer Preventing Recipe from UCHealth

Message 1 of 6

retiredtraveler wrote:

The thing to keep in mind, for those of us who try to 'eat healthy', is that there are soooo many food and drink items that are anti-oxidant and/or anti-inflammatory. It's not worth arguing over any of them as there are so many to choose from. DW and I have been huge coffee drinkers for a long time. According to what I read, we're both going to live forever by drinking a few cups a day.  Along with whole grains, and fruit, which we consume a great deal of as in cereal-and-fruit, we're covered.

Stuff like turmeric is difficult because I've not read anything that says how much you need to be effective. I use curry a great deal, but a couple of tablespoons of curry in a large batch of any dish means very small amounts of turmeric are ingested at any meal. I don't know if a 16th of a teaspoon in a meal is of any use. 

@retiredtraveler

Exactly.

It is not what you put into an occasional dish, but what you eat do and think each day that will keep you healthy (or not).

I saw this as just another way to consume turmeric. We eat it in our eggs, our oatmeal, our yogurt ... and all the things we curry. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6

The thing to keep in mind, for those of us who try to 'eat healthy', is that there are soooo many food and drink items that are anti-oxidant and/or anti-inflammatory. It's not worth arguing over any of them as there are so many to choose from. DW and I have been huge coffee drinkers for a long time. According to what I read, we're both going to live forever by drinking a few cups a day.  Along with whole grains, and fruit, which we consume a great deal of as in cereal-and-fruit, we're covered.

Stuff like turmeric is difficult because I've not read anything that says how much you need to be effective. I use curry a great deal, but a couple of tablespoons of curry in a large batch of any dish means very small amounts of turmeric are ingested at any meal. I don't know if a 16th of a teaspoon in a meal is of any use. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 3 of 6

Also: turmeric is pretty bitter. Many Indian dishes include a sweetener with the bitter herbs. (raisins, cinnamon, coconut, brown sugar)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 4 of 6

ASTRAEA wrote:

I stopped the video, as soon as they added sugar to the mix! Tumeric may be an antioxidant & reduce inflamation, but processed sugar (in chicken?!) is one of the worst things to add to food .. and some cancers thrive on it:

From BeatCancer.org

@ASTRAEA That's fish, not chicken. And a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar does not seem earth shattering to me. Then again, I do not have either diabetes or cancer, so what do I know? But I wouldn't add it anyway, instead I'd probably go full curry on the thing.

Also, this is prevention. One can probably safely assume that the intended audience does not have cancer, thus is not looking to beat it, but to avoid it altogether.

Main message: turmeric on fish: good idea. Smiley Happy

Addendum: I note your edit to include chicken and meat. That's fine. Correcting errors is fine. I do it all the time. Smiley Happy I do wish to point out that many BBQ sauces use brown sugar and that teriyaki chicken, for one, also includes honey (some use brown sugar). So it isn't exactly a novel idea. It is a chef's tool to bring out flavor.

All things in moderation, right? Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6

I stopped the video, as soon as they added sugar to the mix! Tumeric may be an antioxidant & reduce inflamation, but processed sugar (in fish, chicken or meat?!) is one of the worst things to add to food .. and some cancers thrive on it:

From BeatCancer.org

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted

Cancer Preventing Recipe from UCHealth

Message 6 of 6

My one quibble is the pan. Don't use teflon, please. Use either a well seasoned cast-iron pan or one that has a ceramic coating. This Web MD article states that teflon has not been found to cause cancer because the suspect ingredient (PFOA: the one that has been proven to cause cancer) is removed during production. Trust that if you like. Me? I run a zero teflon kitchen, baby. Smiley Happy) There are better options for your health, that's my mantra.

For more about teflon and cancer, read this article by the American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html