Senate Voting on Bad Health Care Bill Tomorrow! Watch Facebook Live at 9:30 a.m. ET for the Latest

Gold Conversationalist

Re: BODY & MIND, KEEP IT MOVING!

Message 1 of 7 (244 Views)

Back problems does make it harder but I keep trying.

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 7 (338 Views)

Soosie wrote:

I do want to ask others here if they have seen the negative thoughts make someone physically sick?

@Soosie Yes, I have witnessed members of my family make themselves physically ill by their negativity. This is one reason I am careful about being around negative people: I know how it can affect others. A couple of fer instances:
One family member's thought patterns have brought up rashes, hives, a violently upset stomach and acute mental distress leading to medication. She one time worked herself into hysterical blindness. 
Another family member died of stroke (and, of course, high blood pressure). This gentleman was resentful and bitter about what went on in his generation following the Great Depression. He acted as though his pain meant the world owed him big time. And he hurt people as if he had some sort of right to do so, as if by bullying and mistreating others he somehow would manage to elevate himself. That didn't pan out, instead he died 3 decades sooner than either of the parents with whom he was so angry. 
The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 7 (351 Views)

@Soosie - If your brother wasn't like that before he retired, he may be depressed or have a physical problem affecting his personality/attitude! I don't think that men develop the same networks of friends & activities as women do, while they're still working, and are therefore left with a bigger void when they do retire!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 4 of 7 (360 Views)
I like this saying that you use. "Good idea to keep active....keep in mind the saying, If you rest, you are gonna rust."

I practice this and believe in it. I also believe that continued, day after day negative thinking and writing can make one sick. I read several articles today. They are long, so I didn't post.

I do want to ask others here if they have seen the negative thoughts make someone physically sick?

I know I am fortunate, but I will use my Brother who is two years younger than me. as my example. He retired early, sleeps until 11 or so each day, then sits in a recliner. He has a multitude of health problems. I love him, but his negativity has caused him to shut everyone out of his life. If you make a simple statement to him, he will come back with, "Yeh, but. " I have always said he invented a new word and it is "Yehbut." It is as if he can only think in terms of being negative and arguing no matter the subject I find it so sad and wish he would let me help him.

I am also smart enough to know that I can't stay this active forever, but I plan to enjoy whatever days I have the good fortune. I want great memories.

Soosie
Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,839

Message 5 of 7 (391 Views)

dr9494 wrote:

My younger self was very active but now I am just below 60 and have told myself to keep it moivng.

I believe any type of movement or exercise should become a daily routine for everyone. Wether its walking, swimming, jogging, yoga, weight training or any combination keeps you fit. Make it fun and dance everyday if you like.  Second, you have to exercise your brain, stay sharp by using the exercises provided by AARP, take on a project,  teach yourself the math your kids or grandkids are learning in school to strengthen the relationship by helping. Stay sharp by namimg people in old photographs, naming all the schools, teachers and classmates etc. Keep your mind fresh by challeging and testing yourself daily.

Good idea to kkep active.. keep in mind the saying  "If you rest, you are gonna rust"  : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 6 of 7 (407 Views)

dr9494 wrote:

My younger self was very active but now I am just below 60 and have told myself to keep it moivng.

I believe any type of movement or exercise should become a daily routine for everyone. Wether its walking, swimming, jogging, yoga, weight training or any combination keeps you fit. Make it fun and dance everyday if you like.  Second, you have to exercise your brain, stay sharp by using the exercises provided by AARP, take on a project,  teach yourself the math your kids or grandkids are learning in school to strengthen the relationship by helping. Stay sharp by namimg people in old photographs, naming all the schools, teachers and classmates etc. Keep your mind fresh by challeging and testing yourself daily.

Hi @dr9494, Welcome to the online community! I hope you'll post a lot in the Healthy Living forum!

I so agree that we must move it or lose it!  Keep the mind and body active: that's key. For me the physical exercise part is pretty easy because I have a great workout partner. And the mind part is fun because it seems there's no end to interesting disciplines to study. Smiley Happy

Happy Easter.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

BODY & MIND, KEEP IT MOVING!

Message 7 of 7 (410 Views)