Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Arnica & bloodwork

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 7 (209 Views)

I have practiced herbalism (now retired, or should I say not selling knowledge); continue to grow and forage many medicinal herbs; have made and sold potions; and have used homemade herbal remedies to keep DH and myself healthy for decades. As this is not a discipline that is well-practiced over the Internet (a good herbalist needs to get to know each patient and that patient's system well: not something done over the Internet)  I won't be diagnosing anyone or anything on this forum. Smiley Happy

That said: look into calendula. As we do not have a good strain of wild arnica on the property, instead I plant calendula. I make many useful medicines and personal care items with this plant.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/calendula-arnica-bruises-zmaz99jjztak

http://www.behealthyhomeopathy.com/arnica-or-calendula/

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: REPLY:: Arnica & bloodwork

Message 2 of 7 (231 Views)

@LaDolceVita - I would be nice to have discussions like that, if we felt safe in sharing about ourselves, without the concern that other posters would attack what we said, claiming to be experts.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 3 of 7 (244 Views)

@mimi0000, @SIMPLEGAL, @ASTRAEA   Thanks for all the responses!  I want some of this in my arsenal. 

I would like to have a thread where we share personal experiences with various products & DIY tips here in Healthy Living. 

vita umbratilis
Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 7 (259 Views)

I heard a Surgeon some of his facelift patients experienced  so little swelling and he learned they had used Arnica salve.   I've never had a facelift but It did wonders for an injured knee.   My doctor had not heard of it which surprised me because Arnica has been around for a long time.

Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly

REPLY:: Arnica & bloodwork

Message 5 of 7 (280 Views)

I've used Arnica tablets for years to reduce pain due to sore muscles. 

No stomach upset and it really works!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Arnica & bloodwork

Message 6 of 7 (290 Views)

It wasn't my Mom, but several doctors who recommended it. It's supposed to help reduce bruising. This is from Wikipedia:

".. A few clinical trials suggest benefits of topical arnica for osteoarthritis; and for affecting significant reduction of bruising compared to placebo or low concentration vitamin K ointments."

More details: WebMD on Arnica

My functional medicine doctor knows how difficult it is for some technicians to find a vein, to draw blood from me, so she suggested taking it for a day or two ahead of time, then using cream afterwards.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Arnica & bloodwork

Message 7 of 7 (294 Views)

@ASTRAEA, you brought up this herb in another thread.   I have never heard of this & googled it & read a few snippets only.  How did your mom use this?  Was it effective? 

vita umbratilis