Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Anyone Else Workout at a Gym?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 22 (594 Views)

cn8777 wrote:

For cramping muscles- you might want to try this- homeopathic pill- Hylands-Arnica30x- I take 2 before I begin a workout like 5 minutes before , then take 2 after.  I don't have sore muscles now, so it has helped me.  

Another one to try is also Hylands- #4 -Ferrum Phosphate 6x- there's 4 pills to put under your tongue, so it goes to the bloodstream  and works faster. Its very good for muscle aches too and can be taken whenever you have cramps, take it don't think about it.

You can buy these at Iherb.com which is way cheaper than the store.

@cn8777  We use some Hyland's products and can attest to their  value. Also, Hyland's supports the World Senior Games, giving the athletes leg cramp products and information. Good company.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 22 (602 Views)

For cramping muscles- you might want to try this- homeopathic pill- Hylands-Arnica30x- I take 2 before I begin a workout like 5 minutes before , then take 2 after.  I don't have sore muscles now, so it has helped me.  

Another one to try is also Hylands- #4 -Ferrum Phosphate 6x- there's 4 pills to put under your tongue, so it goes to the bloodstream  and works faster. Its very good for muscle aches too and can be taken whenever you have cramps, take it don't think about it.

You can buy these at Iherb.com which is way cheaper than the store.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 22 (603 Views)

I work out at a community gym in Hawaii.  It has a huge gym where you can walk for miles, going round and round, no cracked sidewalks, no roots, no dirt to trip you up and smog free from cars.  I always tell myself I'm in Africa walking thru the Savannah because there's a huge tree that I can see and tell myself it's an African tulip tree.  There is also many machines to go on, bikes, elliptical, back stretching, weights to build your muscles and knee muscles.

I go 2x a week and the manager at the place says to do the same exercises at home when your not there..  Also, there a superb lady that teaches yoga, tai chi, blended so you don't strain yourself but getting muscles to work.

How much does it cost -$10 a year, no joke.  It's run by the state.  Plus, on Fridays, they have HOloHolo day, a day to go out and enjoy each other's company, a good day for laughs.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22 (617 Views)

I go to the pool 3 days a week for water aerobics and to the gym run by my physical therapist twice a week.  I find that I can tell almost immediately when I miss.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 22 (642 Views)

I work out 3 times a week (maybe 4) at a facility one of our local hospitals run - a sport and rehab facility geared for physical, occupational and speech theraphy.  They open the exercise room to members of their parent group to work out in which I think is great.  At 72 years old I do not like working in gyms where I feel I have listen to music way tooooooooooooooooo loud and at the same time I feel like I am competing with people half my age.  I will be working on 4 times a week starting next month.  I honestly think more seniors would exercise more if this type of facility was opened to them.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 22 (652 Views)

Strictly speaking no to the gym but a yes to working out in the pool. It has come quite an addiction, only something big with family stops me from going. Aqua aroebics, aqua Zumba both fun ways to get cardio plus hoping to help with bone density due to jumping around. I even have a shirt that sums it up, "The pool is my tool."

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 22 (670 Views)

My companion of 18 years and i work out twice a week  in a class of water zumba and love it. we really miss it if we can't make it to a class occasionally.there are mostly women in the classes with a few of us brave guys that aren't intimidated. We have a great instructor and have a lot of fun as well as getting exercise. My companion and i are both 83 years young . My " girlfriend " has two small businesses i help her with so we keep in pretty good shape.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 22 (684 Views)

The rec center.  I swam laps 5 days a week.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 22 (700 Views)

Soosie wrote:

I joined a workout center about a month and a half ago.  I was having severe cramping in my legs at night to the point of being sleep deprived.  I had also changed doctors because I didn't want any more medicine thrown at my problem.  I had tried every home remedy and other medical procedures, but to no long lasting benefit.  My young, slim, fresh faced new doctor had the courage to talk to me about the weight I gained due to the thyroid problem.  I lost about half of the weight, but still had cramping.  I do have a sitting job and he was telling me I have to be more active.  It seems I do best when I have paid for something so I joined a workout center that is open 24 hours.   I have been going three times per week and have those muscles stretched out. It has improved my balance and my stamina.  Guess I have to admit that sitting on my broad fanny was my problem.  Now, if I can turn my wing span into muscle, I am going to be some kind of scary.  I want to lose ten more pounds.  I told the doctor if I lose more than that I will not have anything to smooth out my wrinkles.

Soosie

I have been enjoying Planet Fitness for almost a year. They have a separate room/area isolated for 30 minute workout on a red/green light system. Facility has many treadmills, bicycles, various workout equipment. Their motto is NO JUDGEMENT, inside signs JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE. This 65 yr old feels good mentally and physically thanks to my Planet Fitness 😊

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 22 (704 Views)

Am glad you brought up this subject Soosie..  

Decades past - I met my bride while managing a gym.   I had just transferred to this particular location and been promoted to manager.  She was already a member and came in on "Ladies Day".  Ha - I see you all laughing!  Yes - back then - the men worked out one day - and the girls the next.  There was no co-ed working out.  I fell in love the moment I saw her. Two days later - on our first date - I told her we would be getting married.  We did - and are.  Enuf of this.

Back when a few of our kids were still teens, we joined a Family Plan at a new gym close to our house.  We remained members til the kids were all gone.  Then, for a long time - we did not go to a gym.  But, we did become big hikers,, and walkers.

About a year ago, our daughter joined a gym (she is a runner anyway) and suggested we do the same.  We rejoined the same one where we had been members long ago.  Wow!!  What a change;  all the great machines!  I was like a hog in swill!  We love it!!  Other than all the wonderful machines - the greatest change I noticed was the large number of old people like us!!  It usta be mostly all youngsters.  We have become stronger, faster and even healthier!  

As a bonus - it turns out that my insurance reimburses 2/3 of the membership cost.  Its all good!!