Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Conversationalist

Re: Anyone Else Workout at a Gym?

Message 11 of 22 (379 Views)

That is really true about going to the gym being a commitment. It really takes an effort and diligence and I usually seem to fade out after a few months. I think it is because I like walking outside and not being in a gym. I wish I could be more consistent about going to the gym. 

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 22 (392 Views)

I workout at a gym 5 days a week and love it.  I know that it has kept my immunity system working strong as I do not get sick and everyone tells me that I look like I am 50 and I just turned 69.  I recommend that everyone consider joining a gym because it takes discipline and when you just workout at home it never seems to get accomplished due to the Honey Do lists.  If you don't take time to stay healthy you will have to take time to get well when you end up sick.

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22 (434 Views)

I did join a gym and paid way too much and didn't go. I really enjoy being outside so I am sticking with that. I also have weights at home which I am trying to incorporate, I need to be more diligent. But I also have a great stretching cd: classical stretching that works every muscle and I feel so great. I try to do that every day. 

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 22 (463 Views)

I'm glad the weather is perfect for running again. So much nicer to hit the Santa Fe NM hills then to grind out some miles on an eliptical at the gym. I still do the gym every 3rd day for weights. Silver Sneakers is great. Have two gyms to chose from. A close one for the eliptical, threadmill or bike and a larger one for an extensive choice of weight machines.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 22 (659 Views)

I do not go to a gym. I have a treadmill at home. I walk at least 5 miles a day and I walk 7 days a week. I will walk on the treadmill and walk outside to complete my steps. I should join a gym to use the wieghts. I know it is very important to incorporated wieghts in my workout routine.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 22 (703 Views)

I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, work out on the treadmill and workout equipment. I helps me build and sustain muscle which is very important as you get older. My advice to someone looking for a gym is do it, find a gym that has decent equipment, I will tell you this I pay $10 a month, had a $1 initiation fee. At $120 per year it's a great investment.

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 22 (1,334 Views)

h165372a wrote:

I find going to the gym on a regular basis (not just for the obvious) also provides a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Huzzbah.

@HealthAdviser Hey, that's a patented word! Smiley Happy JK. It's uber colloquial: DH and I added the 'b' for fun. Now we use it like a boss. Welcome to the family! Smiley Happy Huzzbah!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 22 (1,508 Views)

I find going to the gym on a regular basis (not just for the obvious) also provides a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Huzzbah.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 22 (1,541 Views)

@Epster wrote:

@Soosie Huzzbah for the new regimen! May the benefits of your physical activity compound daily!

I've noticed a couple of times that you've used the word "Huzzbah". I can't find it in the dictionary; did you mean "Huzzah"? I've heard that used many times in the series "Sharpe" and the movie "The Patriot" .. late 18th/early 19th century time periods.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 22 (1,614 Views)

Soosie wrote:

I joined a workout center about a month and a half ago.  I was having severe cramping in my legs at night to the point of being sleep deprived.  I had also changed doctors because I didn't want any more medicine thrown at my problem.  I had tried every home remedy and other medical procedures, but to no long lasting benefit.  My young, slim, fresh faced new doctor had the courage to talk to me about the weight I gained due to the thyroid problem.  I lost about half of the weight, but still had cramping.  I do have a sitting job and he was telling me I have to be more active.  It seems I do best when I have paid for something so I joined a workout center that is open 24 hours.   I have been going three times per week and have those muscles stretched out. It has improved my balance and my stamina.  Guess I have to admit that sitting on my broad fanny was my problem.  Now, if I can turn my wing span into muscle, I am going to be some kind of scary.  I want to lose ten more pounds.  I told the doctor if I lose more than that I will not have anything to smooth out my wrinkles.

Soosie

@Soosie Huzzbah for the new regimen! May the benefits of your physical activity compound daily!

I'm way too self conscious and shy to undress in a locker room (ridiculous, and maybe even difficult to believe, I know, but there you have it) and don't have a gym membership. Instead we have a home gym. We gave away both the stat bike and the treadmill last year when we began riding recumbent trikes to the tune of 75-100 miles a week and walking 20-25 miles a week. However we restocked with weight training/core training apparatus. This change has improved our fitness, our balance and has even improved our sleep.

Blah blah blah, all this to say: yeppers, working out works wonders! 

Kudos for finding what works for you! 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving