The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Another Amazing Senior Athlete: Iditarod Winner Oldest Ever!

Message 11 of 23 (502 Views)

Appreciate your thoughts, however, as the OP, I can state with authority that this post was about finding inspiration in the drive of this one senior athlete.

I ask again that you please take your other thoughts to a new thread. Thanks. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 12 of 23 (503 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Excellent way of putting it! Humans choose to participate in team sports with animals and train other animals to compete on their own. Undoubtedly these animals by nature love to run & do other athletic things, but once they're selected, the animals don't have a say to NOT participate, or stop if they run out of enthusiasm/energy. How sporting is that?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 23 (486 Views)

I feel that we are missing an important point here.  Dog sled racing and the famed "Iditarod" race are "team sports," not individual sports.

The dogs are the team and the "musher" is, in reality, their coach.  I believe the poster who brought up the treatment of the dogs was expressing her concern that the "team" deserved to be be recognized for the huge part they played in their "coach's" success and noted that there was an unfortunate history associated with the Iditarod race.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 14 of 23 (492 Views)

How many football players & boxers are only now finding out the devastating consequences of repeated blows to the head .. despite helmets .. when they've gone thru that pounding for years?! You can't separate the exercise & competition in sports, from the damage & injury that's part of it!

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 23 (486 Views)

I appreciate that some find the Iditarod distasteful. Nevertheless, this is not the thread for such a discussion. A friendly suggestion for those interested in discussing the circumstance of the sled dogs: start a thread in which to do just that.

Different views are a good thing. Let's be supportive of each other's right to their own view.

PS While I am aware that there are local sled dog trainers and teams, I personally do not have any association with sled dogs or the Iditarod. Indeed, I have no opinion about the actual race other than this: what an impressive undertaking!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 23 (494 Views)

Epster wrote:

@m272278g I appreciate your post, and wanted to present access to another viewpoint for others: 

Is the Iditarod Sled Dog Race Safe for the Dogs?

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/iditarod-cruelt-to-dogs/

The article's conclusion: "... it’s safe to say that most trainer/mushers respect the incredible abilities of these great dogs and likewise, the respect of the dogs themselves. Anyone that has watched dog sledding first hand, taken part in a sled team, or has owned one of these amazing dogs knows how much they love to work. And, while the Iditarod may have been less than safe in its early years, rules and regulations in place today ensure that the dogs are happy, healthy, and having fun!"

That said, this post is not really about the dogs, but about the amazing feat of the senior athlete who not only out-performed his son, but beat his own record to turn in a new record. That's something I find inspiring.

Wishing for a thumbs down icon, alas there is  none.

vita umbratilis

Message 17 of 23 (494 Views)

People, young and old, die in other sports, too. Car racing. Football. Marathons. The list goes on. I've heard of a bike crash resulting in a death at one of the senior games in which I'll be partcipating this year. 

This thread is about the senior athlete's inspiring performance, let's stay on topic.

This man cut hours off the record. That, to me, shows what we seniors can do when we set our minds to accomplish something positive. Awesomeness. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23 (498 Views)

I don't know how you can look at one aspect of a sport, and that the winner was a senior .. ignoring that 4 dogs died during the race:

".. Four dogs associated with the race have died this year, including a 4-year-old male named Flash who collapsed on the trail early Tuesday when his musher, Katherine Keith, was about 10 miles outside the checkpoint in Koyuk."

How many other sports would be allowed to continue, if some of the participants died?!

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 23 (545 Views)

@m272278g I appreciate your post, and wanted to present access to another viewpoint for others: 

Is the Iditarod Sled Dog Race Safe for the Dogs?

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/iditarod-cruelt-to-dogs/

The article's conclusion: "... it’s safe to say that most trainer/mushers respect the incredible abilities of these great dogs and likewise, the respect of the dogs themselves. Anyone that has watched dog sledding first hand, taken part in a sled team, or has owned one of these amazing dogs knows how much they love to work. And, while the Iditarod may have been less than safe in its early years, rules and regulations in place today ensure that the dogs are happy, healthy, and having fun!"

That said, this post is not really about the dogs, but about the amazing feat of the senior athlete who not only out-performed his son, but beat his own record to turn in a new record. That's something I find inspiring.

Message 20 of 23 (547 Views)

@m272278g - Thanks for posting this!