How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Another Amazing Senior Athlete: Iditarod Winner Oldest Ever!

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 23 (247 Views)

@m272278g Smiley Happy

And I am telling you that I (and a group of fellow senior athletes) remain inspired by this man's drive to be better. So it looks like we must agree to disagree. 

Addendum: just saw this graphic, think it sums up my thoughts perfectly.

whoever, whatever.jpg

Thinking this is where the kids would say Peace out! Smiley Happy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good health neither comes cheap, nor is it easy.
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 23 (259 Views)

Mitch Seavey inspires you. I get that. But he doesn't inspire me, because he's an animal abuser. This is not a political discussion. I am telling you what I think about Seavey based upon the cruel facts of how he treats his dogs. I am not inspired by a person who beats dogs. 

Message 3 of 23 (307 Views)

@m272278g Certainly you've a right to your opinion. I ask that we all allow that right for others. As I said, a group of us senior athletes do indeed find inspiration in his accomplishment. Let us.

My previous post was not directed specifically at you or at any one of the earlier posts.

Oh, and PS @m272278g welcome to the online community. Smiley Happy  

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 23 (307 Views)

I do not think Mitch Seavey is inspirational. He beats his dogs and encourages other people to do the same. He's very punitive and punishes dogs for not eating their food in 30 seconds. He uses a propane torch to remove fur that grows between a dog's pads. That's extemely dangerous for the dog. He forced his dogs to run at breakneck speed to Nome. I have a right to disagree with the article which was posted. Mitch Seavey is not inspirational because abusiing animals isn't something anyone should highly regard.

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 23 (345 Views)

Do you still beat your wife?  That's what this amounts to. This is not a political post, please refrain from making politically charged comments. Disliking and wanting to change the sport is perfectly fine. This is not, however, the place for that discussion.

As a senior athlete I do and will continue to find inspiration in this man's drive. His very willingness to achieve is inspiring to me and it may be to others may as well. 

I posted this story because two of my senior athlete friends had emailed it to a group of us who chat  (read: egg each other on) via email each morning. We were all inspired by the grit of this man, the drive to push himself further. As we chatted about our individual responses to this story of achievement --we each seek to improve our performances-- I thought I'd share it here, where other seniors might be able to derive inspiration.  

The Iditarod is controversial. Inspiration need not be. If your goal is to be faster, better, stronger than you were last year or even yesterday, please note I support your efforts and applaud your every gain.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 23 (346 Views)

A man, a senior, who abuses dogs, who encourages other people to beat dogs is not inspirational. Iditarod musher Mitch Seavey doesn't not deserve our admiration. He deserves our condemnation.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 23 (348 Views)

You're exactly right. The Iditarod isn't "sporting" for the dogs. All dogs like to run. And, although Iditarod dogs are bred to run, they don't want to run 1,000 miles (the length of the Iditarod race) at breakneck speeds in 8 to 15 days. Even wolves set their own pace, agenda, covering 4 to 28 miles a day.

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 23 (350 Views)

I posted because the article glorified the Iditarod and the 2017 race winner, Mitch Seavey. I thought people should know that dogs suffer terribly in the Iditarod. Many dogs have died before, during and after the race. In musher kennels, dogs are tethered on 4-foot chains. In many communities, tethering is banned or severely restricted because it's inhumane. Learn more: http://helpsleddogs.org/the-harsh-reality/iditarod-dog-kennel-horrors/

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 23 (360 Views)

Humans have a choice about participating in football, boxing or other sports. They can weigh the pros and cons of participating. That's not true for Iditarod dogs. They are hooked up to sleds and forced to run. The dogs have been whipped, kicked, bitten and shocked with cattle prods to get them to run. 

Learn more: http://helpsleddogs.org/the-harsh-reality/cruel-dog-training-for-iditarod/

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 23 (366 Views)

Mitch Seavey is not a senior we should admire. In his book "Lead Follow or Get Out of the Way!" he encourages people to beat their dogs and punish them for not eating all their food in 30 seconds The review I'm posting about the book on Amazon.com from G.D. Austin is accurate. I know. I've read Seavey's book, too.

on May 30, 2011
Format: Paperback|Verified Purchase
There are sadistic elements in the book. As another reviewer mentioned, Mitch Seavey tells people to beat dogs who misbehave. He also advocates that people perform an act that could easily result in a dog's paw getting burned. Seavey says to trim the hair on the bottom of the dogs' feet even with their pads to prevent ice balls from forming. He says that after you've trimmed the hair you need to 'candle' their feet, or singe the ends of the hair that you trimmed. Seavey wrote: "My boys are always looking for faster ways to do their chores. I suppose that is why they started using a propane torch to 'candle' dogs' feet. That in turn explains why, upon entering the shop one winter's day, I observed the back half of my best leader apparently going up in flames. This gives a whole new meaning to the term, 'Put the dog out, son!" Singing the hair is totally unnecessary and puts the dog at grave risk for having his paws burned.

Mitch Seavey tells people to punish their dogs for not eating everything in about 30 seconds. He wrote: "If the dog doesn't eat everything in about 30 seconds, do not just leave food laying around thinking he may eat more at a later time. Take the food away. Give the dog only clear water the next day and half rations the following day. Resume regular feeding the fourth day." This is harsh punishment.

On page vi, there's a photo of dogs going up a hill that has a 45 degree incline. The caption says, "Fourteen dogs pull the four-wheeler up a hill in first gear with the motor off." On page 81, you'll read these words from Mitch Seavey: "If you drive your truck up the hill in four-wheel-drive, then the 16-dog team should be able to pull a 300cc four-wheeler up it. Make them pull it up there, step by step, creeping up hill until you level out and speed up." He goes on to say that by forcing dogs to pull a 300cc four-wheeler up to the top, "you are teaching the dogs that there is no obstacle or situation that arises, no circumstance under which they are allowed to stop pulling forward."

Seavey calls the dogs "running, pulling, machines," "knuckleheads," "bums," "lunk-heads," etc. He has no empathy for the dogs he punishes so harshly.

The Dogingtonpost is wrong. The Iditarod is dog abuse. Please read how mushers abuse their dogs during the race: http://helpsleddogs.org/the-harsh-reality/mushers-mistreat-their-dogs-during-race/.