How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: AARP The Magazine's Be Healthy, Stay Healthy Sweepstakes

Message 81 of 275 (1,106 Views)

I'd have learned to ride a bike. For various resons, I never did, and that would be a good way to exercise in the city. Now, I'm too afraid of crazy drivers. Instead, I need to schedule more time to walk.

Info Seeker

Message 82 of 275 (1,199 Views)

I wouldn't have spent so many hours working (and sitting) and depriving myself of sleep and exercise, which is requiring me to play catch-up now Smiley Sad

Conversationalist

Message 83 of 275 (1,186 Views)

Now that sounds fun!  Good for you!

Info Seeker

Message 84 of 275 (1,049 Views)

I have been taking Flamenco lessons for ten years! This is my exercise class. I have classmates from all age groups, so in addition to exercise for my body I receive exercise for my soul. A Fitbit would be a great addition to my routine.

Conversationalist

Message 85 of 275 (1,054 Views)

Great job.  Keep it up.  It is surprising how a little wrist band can motive you.  If I win one it will go to my daughter.  I already have one.

Info Seeker

Message 86 of 275 (974 Views)

I got the fitbit flex a few months ago.  It is the least expensive fitbit and often goes on sale.  It has increased the amount I walk every day and it shocked me to find out I was only getting 6 1/2 hours of sleep a night.  So I am changing things so that I get more sleep, which is essential to health.

Conversationalist

Message 87 of 275 (682 Views)

I want this Fitbit soooo bad! It is awesome!

Info Seeker

Message 88 of 275 (549 Views)

I would tell my younger self to eat better (especially to reduce the amount of sweets) and exercise regularly. It's also important to reduce stress by learning to meditate. Practice relaxation regularly.

Info Seeker

Message 89 of 275 (574 Views)

After years of being in denial about how serious being diabetic is, I got an infection in my right foot and had to have two toes amputated. Since then, it is much more difficult to walk than I would have thought. Who knew you need ten toes to balance and walk properly? Since then it has still been difficult to keep my blood sugar under control. Having a Fitbit might be helpful in tracking my progress.

Info Seeker

Message 90 of 275 (665 Views)

To my younger self I would say two things:  (1) Cut out the sugar and (2) increase your exercise.  

(1) I used to drink a coke or two a day and eat a candy bar a day.  I never knew that sugar creates inflammation, and that inflammation is at the source of most chronic illness.  Now that I am 70, I'm finally learning to eat right, but I still have a lot of changes to make.

(2) I grew up asthmatic and avoided exercise.  Later I discovered yoga and tai chi and walking.  As I got busy in my career, I told myself that I didn't have the time to exercise, and then I would wonder why I had brain fog and was achy and tired all the time.  Even now, I know I need to exercise more.  If I had developed the habit when I was younger, I think it would be easier now.