Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Info Seeker

Re: AARP The Magazine's Be Healthy, Stay Healthy Sweepstakes

Message 21 of 437 (1,400 Views)

In April 2014 I tripped and fell on concrete and broke my femur and fractured my knee. I have had three surgeries and am possibly looking at a fourth.  Over these last two years I have been in a wheelchair with attempts to use a walker as well.  I think the Fitbit would help stimulate me when it comes to rehab after this possible next surgery by keeping track of my movements and setting new goals. 

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 437 (1,439 Views)

I would tell my younger self:

1) make the time to exercise!  Don't let work, housework, yardwork, kids, etc be excuses not to exercise. Kids can participate and it sets a good example for them.  Trade off taking care of kids with your partner or friends so each of you has time to be active.

2) make time to meditate or just relax in peace and quiet.

3) make time to engage in an activity that you love.

Now, I find that having different friends and a group to walk with at specific times, and taking care of an imaginative and very energetic 4 and 1/2 year old granddaughter who loves to run and go up and down stairs, help me keep active. 

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 437 (1,411 Views)

A Fitbit would be VERY helpful in keeping me on track for my health! I am 65 and find it more difficult to motivate myself to exercise enough to keep fit these days. So having accountability would certainly help. I would probably start a chart to keep track of my progress and my increased ability to work out longer/harder. In other words, track my increased fitness level. That would give me BIG SMILES!

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 437 (1,422 Views)

I would love to have a Fit Bit to keep on top of my health and stay fit.

Dianne Jackson

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 437 (1,508 Views)

I enjoy any help with a healthy lifestyle.

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 437 (1,382 Views)

Always looking for ways to assist me in my workouts and staying healthy as I age!

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 437 (1,229 Views)

I would tell my younger self to quit feeling guilty for taking time to enjoy being active instead of working all the time.  Playtime is very important.  I would then tell my older self to keep moving as mushrooms have a very short life.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 437 (1,029 Views)

I turned 66 this year, and started collecting Social Security. I also started trying to incorporate more exercize into my daily routine starting with Zumba Gold, and adding line dancing. Just recently I picked up a pickleball racquet! But, I do not have any system for keeping track of my activity. The fitbit would be a good start!

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 437 (543 Views)

Thank you for caring so much for us. I know if I want to move in my 70's then I need to move now. The Fitbit will help me keep moving by tracking my inactivity as well as my activity. I just helped my daughter determine the best way for her to track her heartrate while she works out and was really falling in love with the Fitbit Charge 2. Now, hopefully, I will have one, too.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 437 (648 Views)

I found the magazine helpful and will continue to read.  The fitbit would provide concrete incentive for me to do much more walking which is absolutely necessary for the various conditions that I face while aging - suddenly having a cholesterol issue, bone density problem, and diabetes all at one.  Our bodies take leaps in certain directions and I want to counteract that process as much as possible.  The fitbit offers a good measure of the extra I need to do and can do to get to a much better place healthwise.  I love life and want to contribute as much as I can toward making life better for others - but that takes maintaining mental accuity and overall health and doing this scientifically.  AARP articles are extremely helpful that respect.

I also live on a very fixed income and winning this would help in that respect as well.