Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: AARP The Magazine's Be Healthy, Stay Healthy Sweepstakes

Message 11 of 437 (1,765 Views)

@crschlup - As far as creating new habits in 10 days, you're obviously not average: Huffington Post: "How Long Does It Actually Take to Form a New Habit?"

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 437 (1,657 Views)

It works for me!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 437 (1,533 Views)

@crschlup - Surely you can't believe that habits can easily be changed, by doing something 10 days in a row?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 437 (1,533 Views)

You really don't need anything fancy.  Just make up a daily motivator for 10 days straight then it can become a habit.  "I will walk the full length of the wall 4 times a day."

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 437 (1,424 Views)

I watch my 20 month old granddaughter during the day while my son and daughter-in-law work. While I have a very active day, it will soon be ending. My daughter-in-law is a teacher, and next week is her last week of school, so I wont be needed on a daily basis. (I am very sad about this!) Having a FitBit will enable me to keep track of my activity with a visual aid to help keep me motivated and ensure I dont become a 'couch potato' during the summer until I go back to watching my wonderful granddaughter in late August, early September.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 437 (1,585 Views)

hi - i have had depression and agoraphobia for a long time - i am 71 and living on a very modest income - so buying one is difficult.  i'd love to have fitbit - it would really motivate me to see how much exercise i am getting. how many steps going back and forth in the apartment - then more using the stairs (which i usually do - when i can go out).  if i see i am actually getting somewhere, and had a fitbit to concentrate on (so i don't think of the going outside part), i think my activity would go up (and i really need to do this).   i have been thinking about one for quite a while. . .  good luck to everyone and thanks  :}

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 437 (1,586 Views)
Those are great ways to maximize your fitness while getting things done.
Conversationalist

Message 18 of 437 (1,772 Views)

When I'm outside and even in the house, it's so important to know and understand how you're doing in keeping weight down and eating right. Believe it or not, when I go out of my apartment, the staircase is right near by and I zoom down the stairs (considering I've had knee replacement surgery almost two years ago) and then up the stairs to leave my building.

When travelling on the train, I usually like walking to the next train stop instead of my own. Sometimes when I'm taking the bus, I'll usually walk to the next bus stop and wait for the bus there. Sometimes I've even walked into Downtown Flushing, Queens, NY which is around a 2 1/2 to 3 mile walk from wehre I live. Sometimes I've walked over to Forrest Hills or The Queens Center Mall in East Elmhurst, Queens, NY.

Having a Fitbit would really take me to beyond the next level.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 437 (2,095 Views)

I walk but not enough.  I would love a way to track the number of steps I take.  This would be an incentive to take more steps to reach a goal.  This would be simply terrific.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 437 (2,109 Views)

I finally get to retire in July and my job requires a lot of sitting. I could use the FitBit to help become more active again. So looking forward to a healthy, active retirement. Thank you.