Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Social Butterfly

Re: AARP The Magazine's Be Healthy, Stay Healthy Sweepstakes

Message 101 of 437

Dear Hector: 

I was also a fitness trainer and swimming instructor for over 25 years, and I must inform you that while swimming is great exercise for anyone of any age (my sons were swimming as infants and I still swim), swimming does not help osteoporosis.   It doesn't build bone.  People must add weight bearing exercise in order to build bone.  Have your swimming clients add strength training exercises such as walking, lifting light weights, wall push ups, etc.,  and tell them to try to win the FitBit for encouragement! 

77 year old runner!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 102 of 437

Good afternoon.

I have been a personal trainer and Aquatic Instructor for over seventeen years here in Central Florida.

The majority of my clients are seniors. I encourage those clients that are concerned with Osteoporosis to join my Aquatic exercise class. To their delite, most of them fit, and some of them have lost a few pounds. The low impact on the bones and joints is a plus.

Sincerely,

Hector H Suarez

Info Seeker

Message 103 of 437

Is this how I enter to win the Fitbit?

Info Seeker

Message 104 of 437

I would love a fit bit! Ive been on a healthy journey working out and eating eell for a few months. This would help!

Social Butterfly

Message 105 of 437

At age 77 and having been a runner for 36 years, I just broke a bone in my foot while running.  A bone scan showed osteoporosis and I've been advised to "walk, don't run".  This is going to kill my brain!  I'd love a fitbit so I know how much exercise I'm getting when I'm walking and how much I need to walk to get enough excercise to maintain my physical conditioning. 

Info Seeker

Message 106 of 437

I could really use a fitbit.  My pedometer doesn't track everything a fitbit does.

Social Butterfly

Message 107 of 437

Great attitude!  You're an inspiration to all! 

From a 78 year old runner on the other coast!

Info Seeker

Message 108 of 437
I'll be 80 next month, and wish I would have done a better job of saving and investing, but I'm still okay. I'm healthy and very active. I ride 100 -125 miles or more eaach week on my Trek road bicycle, and love riding. It saved my life by taking my mind off my grief after my wife died six years ago. It made me concentrate on the road and the ride and not on grief. I'm fortunate enough to live in southern Florida where I can ride all year. Yes, I've been hit a couple of times and broken some bones, but they heal and then I'm back on the bike again. My feeling is that I can only die once, and if the Army didn't kill me, then I have a pretty fair chance of making it a few more years. I've never smoked, and haven't had alcohol in over 37 years. Every time my docotr tells me I'm too fat, I tell him I'm going to have to get an older fatter doctor. No, I don't need a Fitbit; I use an Apple watch.
Info Seeker

Message 109 of 437

Diet and exercise are the keys to staying fit for older Americans.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 110 of 437

Exercising is the key

so step up your activity

Cut the carbs and sugar too

soon you will see a healthier you

As we age we tend to slow

We need to keep that healthy glow

Keep the mind and body strong