Wills, Trusts and Legal Musts Tonight on AARP Live 10 p.m. ET Online or on RFD-TV

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 98-Year-Old Stays Young With Yoga, Ballroom Dancing

Message 1 of 5 (420 Views)

@wilful - I have "Autobiography Of A Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda on my bookshelf; read it years ago! I started doing yoga in the early 1990s. One of only a few losses when I moved, was my yoga teacher! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 2 of 5 (426 Views)

@wilful,

I'm one of those looking at yoga purely for the physical portion rather than the lifestyle. I'm not looking to change my spiritual practices.

We figure that during the full time RVing portion of our retirement yoga studios will be something we'll be able for find nearly everywhere. And, too, we'll be able to practice in the RV those times we are hanging out with petroglyphs and wolves instead of humans.

I see it as a discipline that may help me stave off a wheelchair (they've been threatening me with one of those all my life) and which will help keep us both fit and mobile in the later years.

Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5 (441 Views)

Ahhhh Epster - 

"All that said, who here practices yoga? What comments and/or advice might you share with a beginner?"

Where do I start?  Hmmmm?  I have been involved in yoga- on and off - since I was 18 years old.  There is little that I could tell you that you could not find on Google, so I'll just ramble on a bit.  Yoga is a way of life.  It encompasses the physical, mental and spiritual.

Most folks nowadays go for the physical part.  It is excellent for that.  

I just took down from my bookshelf 3 books.  These books, which were published between 1905 and 1932 each cover one phase of yoga.  I have read them more than once.  Am mentioning this - not to have you buy books - but to inform you that the message I gained from yoga has been the philosophy of my life.   After all - if you subscribe to the belief (which I do) that our purpose here on earth - is for us to develop ourselves - physically, mentally and spiritually - as much as we can - well, then Yoga is for you.  Go for it, girl!  Smiley Happy

Oh P.S.  If you like to read - try 
The Autobiography Of A Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 5 (604 Views)

Incredible story of a fascinating and inspirational senior athlete! Not only has she had numerous careers, she maintains a fantastic upbeat attitude. Gotta love her example.

But more wonderful than her Guinness Book of World Records status is that she marched with Gandhi and helped save 200 Jews from Hitler! 

All that said, who here practices yoga? What comments and/or advice might you share with a beginner?

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

98-Year-Old Stays Young With Yoga, Ballroom Dancing

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 5 (610 Views)

If you had any reservations about the power of yoga, please meet Tao Porchon-Lynch.

Now 98 years old, she was declared the world’s oldest living yoga instructor by the Guinness World Records way back in 2012. She’s also the new face of Athleta’s “Power of She” campaign, which highlights the life-changing benefits of the practice.

Porchon-Lynch, who is currently based in New York, started practicing yoga nine decades ago in India after she saw a group of boys doing yoga, and asked if she could join. She caught onto a very healthy habit early on: Research shows that yoga improves brain function, provides anxiety relief and can assist in maintaining a lower body weight.

A yoga practice can give you age-defying energy.

That’s exactly what keeps Porchon-Lynch invested in the practice and hitting the mat: The overall sense of mental, physical and emotional wellness that comes from even just yogic breathing can do wonders, she said.

The practice will make you more positive.

Yoga teaches you to reframe your thoughts in order to reduce stress, Porchon-Lynch said. She also credits her steady practice for putting her in a happier mindset.

Read the full Huffington Post piece (with videos) here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tao-porchon-lynch-yoga_us_58700d1be4b043ad97e376f8

Also, there's a NBC News video story about Porchon-Lynch here: http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/98-year-old-stays-young-with-yoga-ballroom-dancing-9086536...