Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 4 Senior Swimmers Break World Record!

Message 1 of 5 (1,136 Views)

@AARPTeri  I dunno, maybe I should mention that I did have to change sports from mountaineering to cycling.  And that made my reconditioning more challenging as the mountaineer's physique and the cyclist's physique are vastly different. But you know, all's well that ends well. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 5 (1,145 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

This is a great story, thanks for sharing!  Do you swim for fitness?  Has anyone transitioned to this type of exercising after injury?

@AARPTeri I have had to fight my way back to fitness after a series of mountaineering-related injuries. I had bone fractures, torn ligaments and myriad other issues associated with a poorly aligned skeletal system, not to mention malnutrition both as a baby and as a teen (which affected the skeletal system). So, though I had been incredibly fit prior to successive injuries and rehabs, I was an overweight, flabby mess for a couple years. 

Once my medical issues had been corrected, it took a year for me to regain stamina, then a full year to regain physical conditioning. I fought hard and last fall won two gold medals at the World Senior Games (setting new course records), so I am here to tell you that it can be done. It is not easy, but with patience and dedication, one can regain physical fitness after injury ... even as a senior.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Community Manager

Message 3 of 5 (1,155 Views)

This is a great story, thanks for sharing!  Do you swim for fitness?  Has anyone transitioned to this type of exercising after injury?

AARPTeri

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 5 (1,242 Views)

Found another video about this December 17, 2016 World Record breaking event.

Listen to these incredible athletes list their many ailments, then get busy exercising to improve your own mobility outlook. Smiley Happy

4 Senior Swimmers Break World Record!

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 5 (1,294 Views)

All are over 80, and one suffered a broken neck in the 12 months prior to this feat. This inspirational video brought a tear to my eyes, it so humbles me while proving to me that passion and drive are particularly useful characteristics as we age.

As Growing Bolder stated on their Facebook page: "Two women. Two men. One incredible lesson in active longevity. If you want to keep moving, you have to keep moving."

(Having trouble getting the video to post, so here's a link to a web page that has the video: http://www.growingbolder.com/a-masterclass-in-active-longevity-3049779/)

Are you planning to grow bolder today? I certainly am!