The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 4 Natural Ways To Reduce Cancer Risk

Message 1 of 4 (95 Views)

WebMD offers these 8 lifestyle adjustments to reduce cancer risk :https://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/8-ways-to-lower-cancer-risk#1

Their list includes maintaing a healthy weight, not smoking, eating plenty of veggies, plus getting screenings and knowing family history. Also: reduce or stop drinking. Reduce stress. And the one we all know: exercise. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 4 (159 Views)

How Much Exercise Is Enough?

The article says: "Working out regularly can help keep your BMI in a healthy range and it will boost your overall health. According to the National Institute of Health, it’s recommended that you engage in either 20 minutes of vigorous exercising or 30 minute of moderately-intense workouts."

That's not 5. It's not 10, and it's not 15 minutes. And it isn't flexing your ankles while sitting at your desk, or tightening and releasing your buttocks while standing at the copy machine. I say go ahead and do those things, but don't consider them a workout in and of themselves. Consider those an augmentation to a life-changing workout.

And who the heck am I? A 58 year old post-menopausal woman who has lost 55 pounds in the past 3 years; who has cycled 7,400 miles on her recumbent trike (100 of them last Saturday) and who has set records and won 11 gold medals at the Senior Games. I've gone from a size large to a size small. I've improved my physical appearance, yes, but most importantly I feel like a 20-something. Indeed, I have more energy than the 20-somethings I know. Perhaps most notably, especially considering my age: my 650-900 minutes of exercise a week have sped up my metabolism. It is now far easier for me to lose than to gain weight!

Abundant exercise and eating mostly fruit and vegetables has changed my life. This regimen has also changed DH's health outlook. In addition, it is in the process of changing a dear friend's health outlook as he continues to lower his blood sugar.

We have drastically reduced our risk of cancer, and have done it all without drugs, without surgery, without 'tricks'. We have accomplished this through a lot of exercise and eating the right foods. (FWIW none of us smoke and we are all extremely light drinkers. As in one drink a month drinkers.Smiley Happy)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 4 (210 Views)

And it all begins with this:

eat right.png

4 Natural Ways To Reduce Cancer Risk

Message 4 of 4 (229 Views)

diets-and-exercise.jpg

Are you aware that most forms of cancer are preventable? This isn’t a well-known fact, but should be. In 2012, an estimated 200,000 Americans died from cancers that could have been prevented. A lot of people know that cigarettes cause lung and throat cancer. However, there are other methods besides quitting smoking that can be used to live a cancer-free life. According to alternative cancer treatment centers in Phoenix, it’s not difficult to incorporate these methods into your everyday life.

About 1/3 of cancer deaths in America are associated with obesity, poor nutrition and lack of physical activity. According to the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), in America alone, a healthy diet, exercise and a healthy body weight could prevent 70% of endometrial cancers, 47% of stomach cancers, 69% of esophageal cancers, 38% of breast cancers, 45% of colorectal cancers and 39% of pancreatic cancers. New data is showing that a healthy diet may also prevent other types of cancer that aren’t research-proven to be preventable, like prostate cancer.

if you change nothing.jpg

The List:

Stop Smoking

Assess and Improve Your Diet

Ask Your Doctor to Measure Your BMI

Begin a Good Exercise Routine

Read the entire piece, including information about the four natural ways to reduce your cancer risk listed above, here: https://anticancerclub.com/healthy-mind-and-body/4-natural-ways-prevent-cancer/