Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Grief

Message 1 of 19 (2,038 Views)

koshapiro wrote:

Made more calls.  3 called back.  1 not accepting new patients.  1 (Lisa) have appoint. w/ Monday at 3 PM.  Lisa said she specializes in domestic violence and PTSD and has been practicing for 30 years. Nina called after I made appoint w/ Lisa.  So left it that if I didn't click with Lisa, I would call Nina back.  1 hasn't returned my call.  One step at a time. Thanks for holding my hand through this process.

You bet. I've been a client of psychotherapists off and on since i was 16, and now i AM a psychotherapist. Whatever it takes to get folks to help, i'm there. i so believe in it. How did it get to be Friday?!?  Monday will be here 'fore you know it.

i hope it's a good weekend for you. we're expecting more 'weather' in the oregon outback where i live, and it was 13 degrees BELOW ZERO last night. had all the taps running water. i'm not used to this. i'm from the mild east coast...  

got any plans?  I plan to binge on watching season 5 of Downton Abbey. I was a bit late to the party...

Jane

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 19 (2,043 Views)

Made more calls.  3 called back.  1 not accepting new patients.  1 (Lisa) have appoint. w/ Monday at 3 PM.  Lisa said she specializes in domestic violence and PTSD and has been practicing for 30 years. Nina called after I made appoint w/ Lisa.  So left it that if I didn't click with Lisa, I would call Nina back.  1 hasn't returned my call.  One step at a time. Thanks for holding my hand through this process.

Message 3 of 19 (2,047 Views)

koshapiro wrote:

Therapist thought my case was too difficult for her and I needed someone more specialized.  She gave me names of some other therapists she know who may or may not have the expertise to help me. She also thought I might join a domestic violence support group.  She didn't change me for the visit.

Well, hmm.  I hope you feel validated that you're not just making this stuff up. I've found that getting validation from a professional that something is wrong with me, is comforting. Odd as that sounds. 

Sounds like she was fair. More digging for you i guess. More calling. But you dealt with that husband all those years. You can do this.

Rooting for you,

Jane

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 19 (2,079 Views)

Therapist thought my case was too difficult for her and I needed someone more specialized.  She gave me names of some other therapists she know who may or may not have the expertise to help me. She also thought I might join a domestic violence support group.  She didn't change me for the visit.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 19 (2,086 Views)

Thanks Jane.  Took the test, definately have PTSD.  Printed it out.  Appointment moved up to 10:30 AM.  Rainy day here in Southern California.  Have to leave house in about 30 min.  Leaving the house is hard for me.  Will let you know how it goes.  

hr2
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 19 (2,092 Views)

Hello Jane, Thank you. I am doing a little better.It has been exactly two years ago that my husband died, I still miss him terribly,I keep his ashes here in my home and say Good Morning and Good Night to him everyday. I wonder at times I should let the military bury him but I feel better having him here near me. Maybe that makes me weird but I don't care. He was a veteran of both vietnam and Korea and served his twenty years.I sure do miss him.He was very cantankerous at times but he hadn't been well 4 sometime. Sorry about my spelling but I don't have an F on my tired old computer anymore. Anyway thank you 4 your very nice reply.    Heidi Rousseau,Grants Pass,Oregon

Message 7 of 19 (2,100 Views)

Excellent!  I deeply believe in psychotherapy, although sometimes it takes real research to find the right person for you. If you want to, you can look at this test for PTSD online, and if you have a printer, print it out for her or him. Or just reflect on it. If you want to.  https://www.adaa.org/screening-posttraumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd

I am rooting for you!

Jane

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 19 (2,107 Views)

I have an appointment for tomorrow 1/5 at 3:30 PM with a woman whose office is about 5 miles from my home.

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 19 (2,124 Views)

thanks Jane.  Yesterday, after I posted I left a message with a local therapist who in her bio said she is trained to help with PTSD.  I am waiting for her to call back.

Message 10 of 19 (2,142 Views)

Perhaps, Ms Shapiro, this time in your life is the universe giving you permission to really delve into healing. A full time job of healing yourself. And not alone. I believe we all help each other heal. One of the tricks of this self healing business is finding the people who will help you heal. And finding the information, the pathway, the expertise, and the tenacity, to go about healing.  

There are books about PTSD. There are therapists who specialize in overcoming it. There are some promising drugs, which i wish would hurry up and become available. Perhaps now is the time to 'do you.'   I think you need a really good, really compassionate therapist. Some antidepressant if you aren't on one already and if it's not helping, try another. And some activity that pulls you out of yourself. 

Once when i was so depressed i could barely move, i rented DVDs (in the early days of netflix.)  Being drawn into another world was so soothing. for 2 hours i did not feel my own misery.

i'm sorry you were crying. 

I'm here if you want to write some more.

Jane