Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games: Red Bar (Website Header)

We just recently introduced our new website header (the red bar at the top of the screen) to provide a consistent user interface with the rest of the AARP.org website, improve website familiarity, and increase the speed of page load.

Weโ€™ve noticed some desktop users are having trouble with the website header bar impeding gameplay. We have determined adblocking software might be interfering, causing the header bar (red bar) to move down the page as you scroll (see photo below). This issue is remedied for some by turning off adblocking software.

red bar.png

For more information on the new website header, read AARP Games: Mega Menu (Website Header)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

outspell.png

I am in the midst of playing a game of Outspell. I am 6 words into the game and already had to close this menu 5 times. It covers my entire game. I am heading over to Arkadium and cancelling my auto-renew on my AARP account.

outspell.png

Periodic Contributor

I'm not seeing any change. The annoying bar is still there. 

Regular Contributor

I  I am using a laptop and do not use an ad blocker and the Red Banner constantly gets in the way of a game that I am playing.

Honored Social Butterfly

It floats. Something from 'IT' by Stephen King. It's red and it floats and with every move you make it follows! Way to go, AARP! Complete and utter nonsense. No reason for this change. Nor the change in the side view versus the top view, which disrupts certain things, that obviously nobody ever tested, because if they did they'd find some problems with this whole shebang. Glad it's not just me! ๐ŸŽˆ

[Erhm, @AARPHannah]

Regular Contributor

Oh, what a perfect comparison.  Pennywise's evil red balloon!

Contributor

Get rid of it!!!! No one likes it, your IT department can do it , just DO IT!

Contributor

I do not use an ad blocker.  It is the ad or the red banner that are the problem.  Even on Full Screen I cannot see the whole game board at once.  Please remove one of them.  The "consistent user interface" is not necessary from the game pages.  It is already easy to use.

Periodic Contributor

It has now been weeks.  My ad blocker has been off for weeks.  Cannot even play games effectively and now some other screen pops up.  Does not take weeks to fix this if someone was really concerned.  I am out of here, done.  

Contributor

I sent a report about this a few weeks ago, it's still a problem. Chat just sent me here after I reported it again, & here are all the comments saying it's not just me. It is unbelievably frustrating that many of us here are savvy enough to know that it's an easy coding fix, yet they just aren't doing it. WEBMASTER, get to it. I PAY for it, make it work.

Periodic Contributor

Hello! I'm a well-seasoned, pc-based computer user. I've done as you suggested and disabled 3 different ad-blockers (one from my browser, one from my antivirus package, and a browser plug-in designed block ads. No ad blockers running and yet the red bar bleeds over my Arkadium game session. 

You've had the ball in your court to fix this for over a week, and still it is unaddressed. Please fix this. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Oh, far longer than a week.  Their post about the red bar is from Feb 9.  They have had so very much time to fix it if they actually intended to.

Periodic Contributor

I've had issues with their site for quite awhile, this was the straw that broke the camels back. Will keep using arkadium to play games.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I turned off the ad blocker and i still cannot see my full game screen

Contributor

The problem isn't fixed by removing the ad blocker.  Especially since I didn't have it on in the first place.

Periodic Contributor

I also am having a frustrating time with the red drop-down menu when I am trying to play games. I usually spend the first part of my day relaxing with games in attempt to keep my mind active after retiring. Now it is a pain to dodge the stupid menus. And no, I do not have an ad blocker.

Periodic Contributor

Some mentioned Arkadium. It has all the games that Aarp has. There is no interference except a 1-minute commercial.No bars. Goodbye Aarp games I now am enjoying my morning games at Arkadium

Regular Contributor

So here we are, two weeks after you broke it, and the site still isn't fixed; the games are still unplayable. Really? That's some poor customer service right there...

Contributor

Really, you want us to fix your bad coding? How about you fix your web site so I can use it rather then you using us. It's time to get real AARP. Your demographic is becoming more and more tech savvy. Poor web design and coding won't be tolerated as much as it once was.

Periodic Contributor

Agree!  I turned off my ad blocker and still have the problem.  You need to fix it on your end.

Regular Contributor

I also did this and the Red Banner still gets in the way.

Periodic Contributor

Look, the games are the only reason I came onto this site. Since this stupid issue with the red header, the site has been completely unusable, so I simply have gone over to Arkadia.com to play the games there. And I know I am not the only one. You are losing customers in droves because you refuse to fix this issue. 

Contributor

I too went over to the Arkadia.com website to play. Too bad-- I enjoyed seeing some familiar names on the leader board at AARP and the competition was good. See you over on Arkadia.com!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Turning off ad blocker doesn't help. And for your information, my ad blocker reported 110 ads in just a few minutes; when I turned it off, I couldn't even use the website because so many ads were appearing all over the place. This is absolutely the worst website because not just games are affected. In other words, it's not worth using your website.

Contributor

Please get rid of this bar.  It wrecks game play.  If I need to access the rest of AARP it it easy enough before.  I usually quit playing because I get sick of trying to get rid to the games bar.

Contributor

The failure to correct the faulty floating red banner is ridiculous. A 'top priority' that they might fix 'some time this month'?  Are you kidding?  It's not that hard to disable a poorly planed coding change.

Regular Contributor

It's actually pretty easy. 

Regular Contributor

Agreed. Clearly they don't care, or it would've been done already.

Periodic Contributor

Exactly. I have web design experience, built sites, took college courses, etc. and this is an easy-peasy fix. Takes about one minute, if that. Not a month.

Periodic Contributor

I find it so frustrating. It blocks the scores and sometimes parts of the game. Whoever thought of this does not play the games and is more interested in advertising both of which they already had.

Regular Contributor

This was my first thought.  They easily broke it and can very easily fix it.  "Some time this month" doesn't cut it.  Even the very tech unsavvy know this.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP