Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: marriage/living together

Message 1 of 6

bs41985676 wrote:

I have lived with this man for 18 yrs and while he was out of town working took care of house, yard 

and animals now that we both are retired he has given me two weeks to leave, it is his house but

i have more than paid my way also bought groceries,cooked and cleaned house, but now he said he will throw ny stuff out if i am not gone in two wks, i don,t have the money, but secondly i do not think

this is legal, i live in North Carolina 

You do not have to just leave.. he would have to evict you, which would give you time to seek advice (see an attorney quickly)  unless you are fearful of doing that and if that is the case then do what is best for your safety.  I hope you have a friend or someone close that you can talk to.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 6

ReTiReD51 wrote:

Best recommendation for you is to see an attorney and pay them to advise you. May cost you a $100 maybe less for a consultation.

Have you been receiving your mail at his house? There are other ways to establish roots. He may have to evict you. You have rights. An attorney can best counsel you.

Best answer.. this lady does not have much time to deal with this issue.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

Best recommendation for you is to see an attorney and pay them to advise you. May cost you a $100 maybe less for a consultation.

Have you been receiving your mail at his house? There are other ways to establish roots. He may have to evict you. You have rights. An attorney can best counsel you.

Message 4 of 6

Hi @bs41985676 You'll need to educate yourself about common law marriage laws in your state. Here's a good place to begin:  https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/fact-or-fiction-five-myths-about-common-law-marriage

A telling snippet: 

States that do recognize common law marriage include the following: Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Georgia (if created prior to 1997), Idaho (if created before 1996), Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only), Ohio (if created prior to 10/1991), Oklahoma, Pennsylvania (if created before 9/2003), Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas and Utah. Same-sex relationships or marriages are never recognized as common law.

North Carolina, according to this, does not recognize common law marriage.

Wild thought: Has this man ever made written promises to take care of you for life? If so, perhaps investigate that as a basis for legal action.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

You will need to double-check, but as far as I know, NC does not have a common-law marriage statute. If that is true, then you have no legal recourse.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

marriage/living together

Message 6 of 6

I have lived with this man for 18 yrs and while he was out of town working took care of house, yard 

and animals now that we both are retired he has given me two weeks to leave, it is his house but

i have more than paid my way also bought groceries,cooked and cleaned house, but now he said he will throw ny stuff out if i am not gone in two wks, i don,t have the money, but secondly i do not think

this is legal, i live in North Carolina