AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Super Social Butterfly

Re: What traits do you share with your mother?

Message 1 of 14 (1,998 Views)

my mom is a grand lady. while i did not get my mechanical ability or playing sports from her we share a love of the mets.now that she is in her 80's it means even more as it is about only thing we can talk about other then her great grand daughter. i also got some of my sense of humor and a love of cooking and food from her.

dont take life too serious
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 14 (2,001 Views)
Sooo many. She was forgiving, kind, peaceable, generous, organized, intelligent, faithful and knew how to really stretch a dollar. Unfortunately she was completely unequiped to care for children under the age of 12. In her defense, I must qualify the extreme tightrope she walked the 36 years she was married to my deadly sociopathic father. She completely apologized and lovingly compensated all of us kids in our adulthood. Sadly, I worked so hard to be a perfect mom that I was burned out and lost my tolerance for my children's extremely dangerous and criminal behavior by the time they reached adulthood. My mother's neglect caused me to overly spoil. My children are ruined. My mother was loved, respected and cherished by all including myself. I deeply painfully miss her. I love you so much mom! When she passed, I lost my best friend on this earth!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 14 (2,024 Views)
There are traits that I learned from my Mother. I'm glad that we had a good relationship. Although she has passed, there are memories that I cherish as an adult. One trait we have in common is when there is something you need to do , start working on it early. She was a person who wanted the house to be spic and span(especially the kitchen and bathroom) which is a must! Get up early and get the big jobs done before noon. I have that trait also. Clean up the kitchen as you cook. Place foods in Bowls and wash the large pots and pans. You will have less to do when everything is ready to eat. There are so many traits that I am also passing to my children and grand-children.
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 14 (2,030 Views)
I loved my Mom dearly and she taught me so many of her wonderful traits and qualities. Some of what she graciously taught me were:
Sewing skills from age 6, that I still use today.
Mom had a brilliant and sharp mind which she taught me oh so many things about life, women in business, always achieving the very
best, very sharp analytical skills, cooking skills, and gardening skills.
I so remember Mom, happy as a lark, outside in the backyard underneath the huge shade tree. She'd be out there with her forearms up to the elbows fully covered with potting soil while she's re-potting many of her precious orchid plants. She'd be so happy, a smile on her beautiful face, lightly humming a long ago song. At times, I'd join her and it would turn into another great lesson on something she wanted to ensure I not only was aware of the topic, but understood it from all angles.
She was always sharp as a tack, and as I grew and developed into my love of my career, I always carried her trainings with me. Ethics, personal standards, professionalism, the "dot every I and cross every T in all I did" came directly from Mom, never stop until the project is totally complete, and lastly, once you think you've given your best, push harder & give more! Always push to succeed--that was my awesome MOM and I was very proud to carry her traits forward in my working career.
Silver Conversationalist

Message 5 of 14 (3,018 Views)
Absolutely none. She was a mean alcoholic. I made up my mind as a child to never be like her. My kids are not afraid of me. In fact they sometimes tease me mercilessly. They know that I love them more than life.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 14 (3,156 Views)
Mom always enjoyed her time in the woods and in nature. I find peace in nature and try to spend as much time outdoors as I can. I also like foraging in the woods like she did. The moral mushroom hunting will always be a spring activity for me because of my Mom.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 14 (3,299 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

My mom was a 5th grade English teacher at private boys school. When I was a freshman in college,thought about becoming a pre-school teacher,realized I didn't have the patience,switched my major. The traits I've picked up from my mom are:

1. keeping track of everything I spend monthly,even now in retirement do it like clockwork. I started this in '77

2.a church volunteer. When I was working,my 2 days off I would be at church volunteering my time doing various projects. I still love being there 2-3 mornings/wk in business office helping out. My mom was on various committees at her church,that doesn't appeal to me

3. keep a yearly journal,write down important events good or bad that took place. I've added  to my journal well known people who have died/top sporting events.I started in '87

4. keep a journal of books I've read over the yrs. If I really love a book,write myself notes why. I started in '90,still doing it.

My mom died in 2003,miss her every day Sue

I forgot to add this to my list. When my sister,brother&I were younger, our parents esp mom would tell us to always write a thankyou note whenever we got a gift from either a relative or a friend. I can't speak for my siblings,I still write thankyou notes. They usually go to friends who don't own a computer Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 14 (3,330 Views)

My parents immigrated from Italy as children.  My mother, altho uneducated, had a very analytical thought process.  She also was a great cook and disliked dry foods and an empty pantry.  I tend to be analytical and logical.  I also love to cook, dislike dry foods and panic when the pantry is empty.  My wife laughs and says "You're just like your mother." 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 14 (3,349 Views)

My mom was a 5th grade English teacher at private boys school. When I was a freshman in college,thought about becoming a pre-school teacher,realized I didn't have the patience,switched my major. The traits I've picked up from my mom are:

1. keeping track of everything I spend monthly,even now in retirement do it like clockwork. I started this in '77

2.a church volunteer. When I was working,my 2 days off I would be at church volunteering my time doing various projects. I still love being there 2-3 mornings/wk in business office helping out. My mom was on various committees at her church,that doesn't appeal to me

3. keep a yearly journal,write down important events good or bad that took place. I've added  to my journal well known people who have died/top sporting events.I started in '87

4. keep a journal of books I've read over the yrs. If I really love a book,write myself notes why. I started in '90,still doing it.

My mom died in 2003,miss her every day Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 14 (3,366 Views)

"....What are some traits that you recognize you received from your mom?....".

Unfortunately, none that I would care to share. Smiley Frustrated

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.