Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: What do you love about your father?

Message 1 of 31 (1,071 Views)

My father was and is an exceptional person. He blazed the trail to be one of the first Black Supervisors on his job. He took care of my mother, while she was dying from cancer. He has almost dyed twice since February of this year. He is a fighter and yet a very compassionate person. He was a wonderful example for my 2 sons when they were growing up. He provided for my foster sister and helped my mother raise her 4 children. He is an awesome person. He is my hero!!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 31 (2,195 Views)

The story about the big cell phone reminds me of a conversation my Dad had with someone.

The man asked him for his cell number to which my Dad replied that he didn't carry one?

You don't have a cell phone? What do you do if there is an emergency?

They invented emergencies long before they invented cell phones.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 31 (2,371 Views)

My father kept up with technology. He had a cell phone in 1980. The battery pack and charger was in a big shoulder that he carried with him everywhere. Now the phone's are a lot smaller. And you use small charger. We have come a long way since then. Lol.

AARPTeri wrote:

Share something you loved about your father.

AARPTeri wrote:

Share something you loved about your father.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 31 (2,482 Views)

My father has been gone now for almost 14 years.  He was as a dad of an only child the best of dads.  He worked hard in the steel mill, took care of my mom and me and yet always had time to play.  He would take me to the fields showing me birds, mushrooms, trees, fishing holes, and how to care for the various stray animals that always seemed to show up at our door.  He was sometimes hard to understand but he was always, always supportive of my goals and could get a good chuckle when I tried false eyelashes for the first time or tried to make mashed potatoes - which were soupy but surprisingly tasty.  He knew every breed of dog, how to train them and which birds migrated when and what an odd bird that showed up at my house was.  A hero to me and my family he is missed every day and always on Fathers Day.  My own husband passed away last year and I know this fathers' day will be a difficult one for our grown children.  Knowing how I feel about my dad and missing him makes me very sensitive to my own children's heartbreak.  I do know dad is still sending those odd birds just to test me.

Info Seeker +

Message 5 of 31 (2,583 Views)

My dad was a wonderful man. He was father,mother and friend to me and my two siblings. In th 2960s it was unheard of for a man to get custody of his children. But dad fought hard for us. He was ver giving and loving. My favorite time of the year is the christmas season. Dad would take his vacation and he would make sure we went to all the holiday settings in the city. We'd  go downtown to see all the,store windows and lights. Anything that he could find to take us. In the sunmer it was amusement parks ,swimming camping. He had just as much fun as  we did. He loved spending time with his kids. All our friends loved him too. He once told me he hoped he had done a good enough job raising us. Especially me and my sister. Because he said he wasnt sure if he knew what to do at times for us girls. I told him he did a great job. When daf got sick i was more than happy to be there for him,he was always there for me. Hes been gone 5years now and i miss him everyday of my life.

I love you dad. You are the greatest dad ever... 

Info Seeker +

Message 6 of 31 (2,653 Views)

My dad was a wonderful man. He was father,mother and friend to me and my two siblings. In th 2960s it was unheard of for a man to get custody of his children. But dad fought hard for us. He was ver giving and loving. My favorite time of the year is the christmas season. Dad would take his vacation and he would make sure we went to all the holiday settings in the city. We'd  go downtown to see all the,store windows and lights. Anything that he could find to take us. In the sunmer it was amusement parks ,swimming camping. He had just as much fun as  we did. He loved spending time with his kids. All our friends loved him too. He once told me he hoped he had done a good enough job raising us. Especially me and my sister. Because he said he wasnt sure if he knew what to do at times for us girls. I told him he did a great job. When daf got sick i was more than happy to be there for him,he was always there for me. Hes been gone 5years now and i miss him everyday of my life.

I love you dad. You are the greatest dad ever... 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 31 (2,709 Views)

My dad was the kindest and most compassionate father in the world. He had a great sense of humor and could make you laugh even when you were feeling your lowest. I remember one particular time  right after I got married and I had invited my parents to my house for dinner. We had a very nice dinner and nice conversation. When my mother and I had finished cleaning up the kitchen we walked into the living room to find my dad sound asleep in my husband's leather recliner. My mom nudged him and told him come on let's go home it's time. He said okay but I think I'll take this chair with me it is so comfortable. I told him dad you will have to ask my husband about that because he had that chair before we were married. My dad's reply why do I have to ask him if I can have the chair he didn't ask me if he could have you. I will never forget that moment. My dad was not a physical disciplinarian but whenever you did something wrong and he handled it he would just talk to you in a very calm and understanding voice and you would feel so guilty and start apologizing for whatever you did wrong whether you thought you were right or not. My dad passed away in September 2001 a week after 9/11 in New York. I miss and love him more each day that he has been gone. I just want to say Dad I love and miss you more everyday and may God bless and keep you in his care I love you Donna

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 31 (2,897 Views)

My Dad, Sam,  never raised his voice, but we still received the message! He was fair in ALL situations. He was a hard worker and instilled in me to work at whatever  I wanted to do, no matter of set backs!  

He was in WW1 and died of the mustard gas used in that war.   I still miss him to this day.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 31 (3,080 Views)

Oh my goodness! Where to start.

My dad was the kindest, most gentle, nicest, giving, funniest dad ever! 

He was an awesome listener too!

He was always there to lend kind words and never, I told you so, advice!

I was the luckiest daughter ever!

Luv and miss you, dad-❤

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 31 (3,203 Views)

I have the absolute best Father in the world. As children he was our rock, our glue that held our family together. While my Mother did work outside the home after we were all up in age, my Father was the foundation for our family. He was not only our provider he taught my two brothers and myself the meaning of life, love and being a Christian. Daddy was able to hand us whatever we wanted but he did not hand to us. Of course we had more than adequate food, clothing and toys growing up and then some. Daddy taught us about morals and values in life and that the 'values' in life did not mean more toys or luxuries, it was the true meaning of living our lives not only to the betterment of ourselves for to all of those around us.

We each worked to pay for our very first car which at the time I found disgusting because Daddy could have paid for the vehicles for us. It didn't take me long to realize the life lesson in this. This taught us that when we have to purchase the things in life we need or want we will take care of them. We must take care of our things but if you ever borrow something from someone we must treat it as gold. This is one of the best lessons in life I could have been taught.

My Daddy is a WW II Veteran and God love him for serving our country. Several years ago I went to visit my parents and Daddy held out his hand and said I don't know if you want this or not. What he placed in my hand is totally priceless. It was a heart shaped necklace with a gold plate that read To Mother New Guinea 1944. This necklace was made with materials from the island where he was stationed. There isn't enough money in the world to buy that necklace from me. It had been taken care of even many years after his Mother passed away and I now possess the most valuable piece of jewelry in the world.

Several years ago my Mother had to go into Assisted Living due to the level Alzheimer's had taken her to. Mom said she would not go without Daddy. To show what a loving and selfless man he is, he grabbed the things they would need and never looked back and all the things he had worked so hard for his whole life. We had to sell their home to pay for the Assisted Living Facility. Not one time did Daddy ever express regrets for leaving his whole life behind him. Daddy had been the sole care giver for Mom for about 8 years and when I would try to lighten his load he would tell me it was his responsibility and he didn't need help. He did need help but insisted this is his wife until death do they part and he would take care of her. He continued to care for Mom even in the Assisted Living Facility. He took is marriage vows very seriously and on 8/23/16 Daddy did everything humanly possible to care for my Mom. Life without Mom has been very difficult on Daddy.

At 92 years old he continues to mourn the loss of my Gorgeous Mother as us three children still mourn. Dad left Assisted Living and moved into an apt. so he could pay for Mom's Hospice Care. My Father is the true example of what true love is all about. He has always placed my Mother and us three kids ahead of his own needs and he always will as long as he has his mental capabilities about him.

This year as we celebrate Father's Day, we will be celebrating at at rehabilitation facility as Dad fell twice and fractured his spine. He is fighting hard through his therapy to be able to remain independent but I fear this is just not going to happen this time. He is still our tower of strength, love, compassion, empathy, prosperity and most importantly the love for Christ in our lives. My Daddy has been and always will be MY HERO. He is the example of the man, son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather that has ever walked the face of this earth in human form in my humble opinion. My Father is the example I would hope every wife and mother would have in their lives to be taught how to live life to the fullest and not only be there for family, but for friends, those we barely know and even strangers. Always, always pay things forward in life. TO MY FATHER, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART AND THE DEPTHS OF MY SOUL I CHERISH YOU AND THANK YOU FOR NOT ONLY LOVING ME BUT TEACHING ME THE VALUES AND MORALS IN LIFE. TO LOVE THEY NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF AND TO FORGIVE OTHERS AND ASK FORGIVENESS. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY TO PLACE GOD FIRST IN OUR LIVES AND HE WILL LOVE AND TAKE CARE OF US FOR ALL OF ETERNITY.

I thank God for allowing me to have not only my Father but my Angel Mom as well because I could never have ordered the perfection that HE gave to me. Thank you Sweet Jesus for the life I have been given.

I LOVE YOU DADDY WITH MY WHOLE HEART. YOU WILL ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE MY HERO. I will always and forever be your baby girl.