Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Share one piece of advice from Mom.

Message 31 of 41

My mother always said if you can not say anything nice about someone.  Do not say anything at all.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 41

My mother always told us to treat others the way we would like to be treated.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 41

One great momism that my mother Geneva Webb always told all of her eight children whenever the topic of sex came up at the dinner table, was to "keep your pants up and you girls keep your pants on and your dresses down."  That was when we were all minors and I believe all of us really did listen to her advice. All of us are adults now and wish she was still here. Geneva Webb passed on April 28, 1999, and we miss her so much.  Until we meet again.  

Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 41

When I would tell my mother something that I had heard which was hurtful or seemed untrue, my mother would always say, "Consider the source."  If you hear something from someone who loves to gossip or is known to talk a lot without checking the truth before speaking, it is best to forget what you have heard from that person.

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 41

Always take the Lord with and remember you are represenyin your parents and home.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 41

My mother Dolores Rimmer passed away May 19th, 2015 she always told me to "Secure the place you live before anything else." This has been passed down to my children,her grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Her other advise was "Your only friends are your Mother and the money in your pocket."

These words bring warmth to my heart when I hear my children tell their friends the same.

Her words will always live on.

Thank you for doing this. 

Emily Reyna

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 37 of 41

My parents were married over 50 years and my Mom always said the secret was never go to bed fighting or mad with each other - settle the argument before you fall asleep.

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 41

My mother, Margaret Cooper, was a fabulous classical pianist and she and Dad gave their four daughters the opportunity to study music from an early age and to become musicians.  Minutes before my first violin recital, as a ten-year-old, I suddenly told Mom that I had "butterflies" – in other words I was nervous and afraid to play in front of all those people.  She told me very matter of factly, "Oh no, that's not nervousness.  What you're feeling is excitement!  Excitement to get up on the stage and share your beautiful music with everybody and make them all very happy."  Well, that's all it took.  And for the past 53 years as a performer in music, theater and dance her words have never failed me. I was a young adult when I finally realized that she had tricked me, but in doing so she had given me a valuable life skill, the ability to channel my thoughts, feelings and energy in positve directions that would aid me most.  And the joy of sharing.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 41

"Let your head save your heels!"

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 41

My mother used to say "The money is just as green in your pocket as it is in theirs."  She was the daughter of depression parents who had done well surviving the national catatophe (they ran a dairy farm, sold farm produce in neighboring towns---chickens, strawberries), and my grandfather sold fish flies which was curious as there wasn't much water in their part of Illinois!).  My grandfather had the first automobile in town.

Over the years, I hear this echo every time a telemarketer calls, everytime I get emails about fabulous sales.  I have learned that this is the underbelly of capitalism: money is of high value in parts of our society.  My mother's admonition rings loud sometimes and now, looking back over my life, I realize what she told me has helped me make financial decisions, both big and small.