Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Share one piece of advice from Mom.

Message 1 of 40 (173 Views)

Actually, my grandmother was pretty wise.  This is probably where her daughter (my mom) got it.  Her advise was "Keep moving, don't just stand there.  It's hard to hit a moving target!"  This really makes sense now that I will be 83 in November, still work, don't go to the doctor, don't take medications . . . well, you get the idea.  When I talk with my customers, they can't believe my age.  I owe it all to older loved ones.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 40 (183 Views)

I am so sorry for you.  I hope that it has made you a stronger person and that you are not bitter. I wish you the best in your life today.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 40 (187 Views)

Actually the one of piee of advice that I think of daily as I get older was from my grandmother. She alwys told me "that any day is good as long as you can get out of bed."  This puts my problems in prospective for me. I am out of bed and moving so I am thankful.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 40 (215 Views)

While my dear Mom suffered her entire life from pretty severe mental illness, which affected our entire family, she had many moments of loving clarity.  I most remember her oft-repeated and heartfelt words, "be kind."

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 40 (458 Views)

d76924f wrote:

I look at all the sweet words of the other mothers and can only wish my childhood had been different. My mother was a bitter woman who birthed six children and had several miscarriages in between the 18 months which separated each of my siblings. As the oldest of the six, I feel that I had no childhood. I became the caregiver to all the others. She frequently would scream at us that she hated us and was going to have us "put in a home" (sent to the state orphanage). I find no joy on Mother's Day or Father's Day. Perhaps it was the extreme poverty or perhaps it was depression; all I know is I cannot remember a hug, a kind word, or any kind of maternal love from her. I took care of her in her final years. Even then she did nothing to indicate she had any remorse for her behavior. My father was the same. Perhaps they were caught up in their own hateful drama that they had nothing left for their offspring. One of my brothers once said a few years ago that it was a miracle we made it out of childhood alive. One would think that this would have drawn us close; instead the opposite has happened. Maybe we associate each other with the hell of growing up in that house and want to escape anything dealing with it. To those of you with good memories and kind words, I am happy for you. Please do not think too harshly of us who just endure the day and work so hard to be good parents to our own children in spite of having no role models. I ask for no sympathy.

AARPTeri wrote:

Mothers, tell us the one piece of advice you hope your kids take to heart. In other words, if you had to choose just one bit of wisdom dispensed with the best of intentions that will echo in your children’s minds for the rest of their lives, we want to hear it. Sons and daughters, share the one piece of advice from Mom — replaying in a constant loop in your head — that has most shaped or inspired you.

I am very sorry that you had to endure such a hard childhood.  I hope that you have found peace and love in your later life.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 40 (475 Views)

My mother taught us, "ALWAYS behave in a manner that people are GLAD to see you COME . . . .

not GLAD to see you GO!!  But then, I am the youngest of five from a previous generation, can you tell that I am almost 83 years old?

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 40 (486 Views)

My mother told me and my siblings that we always represented home, and never let anyone tells us who we are or what we can become.And never compare ourselves to others, if we've given the best that we can do or we have,that'all we can ask of ourselves.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 40 (495 Views)

Be always brave and intelligent and move forward irrespective of the hardships faced.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 40 (920 Views)

My mom always reminded us girls that a LADY is kind, considerate of others, always polite, never raises her voice, helps others when needed without having to be asked and . . . even more importantly, ALWAYS behaved in a manner that made people GLAD to see you COME . . . , not GLAD to see you GO ! ! !  Can you tell I'll be 83 in 4 months?  I don't think many parents teach these things any more.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 40 (932 Views)

The best advice received from my mom was in watching her be an awesome human being without having to talk about what she did. I watched and learned a great deal from her. She walked the talk of being a decent human being. I'm thankful I payed attention. She is going to be 86 in a few months and I'm still amazed at her strength and endurance; she still smiles the kind of smile that melts my heart. I just love the woman God gave me as a mother. Smiley Happy