Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Info Seeker

Re: Share one piece of advice from Mom.

Message 1 of 30 (328 Views)

My mother had her own way of looking at life. When I would talk to her about something I wanted to do my life but I was letting fear hold me back one of the first things she would say, "What's the worst thing that could happen? They can kill you but they can't eat you!!"

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 30 (454 Views)

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you had another figure in your life that inspired you and that you have found a seperate joy, and this does not pull you down (except maybe one day a year). We don't pick our mothers or our circumstance, as you know. Women did not always have choices about family planning, like they do now. I'd be a wreck after going through what she did as well - it was not just her - her husband didn't let up on her did he? She may have developed some type of mental disorder that made her like that, I'm sorry you, and that other kids like you sufferred. My paternal grandmother cared for me when my mother made some poor choices. I wish you happiness today in spite of what day it is today.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 30 (467 Views)

I look at all the sweet words of the other mothers and can only wish my childhood had been different. My mother was a bitter woman who birthed six children and had several miscarriages in between the 18 months which separated each of my siblings. As the oldest of the six, I feel that I had no childhood. I became the caregiver to all the others. She frequently would scream at us that she hated us and was going to have us "put in a home" (sent to the state orphanage). I find no joy on Mother's Day or Father's Day. Perhaps it was the extreme poverty or perhaps it was depression; all I know is I cannot remember a hug, a kind word, or any kind of maternal love from her. I took care of her in her final years. Even then she did nothing to indicate she had any remorse for her behavior. My father was the same. Perhaps they were caught up in their own hateful drama that they had nothing left for their offspring. One of my brothers once said a few years ago that it was a miracle we made it out of childhood alive. One would think that this would have drawn us close; instead the opposite has happened. Maybe we associate each other with the hell of growing up in that house and want to escape anything dealing with it. To those of you with good memories and kind words, I am happy for you. Please do not think too harshly of us who just endure the day and work so hard to be good parents to our own children in spite of having no role models. I ask for no sympathy.

AARPTeri wrote:

Mothers, tell us the one piece of advice you hope your kids take to heart. In other words, if you had to choose just one bit of wisdom dispensed with the best of intentions that will echo in your children’s minds for the rest of their lives, we want to hear it. Sons and daughters, share the one piece of advice from Mom — replaying in a constant loop in your head — that has most shaped or inspired you.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 30 (797 Views)

She would always tell me in the grocery store ... I carried you for 9 months; you can carry this out to the car.  I loved that!

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 30 (853 Views)

My mother would tell me "you are just as good as anyone else & better than most.  She died of breast cancer in 2005.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 30 (882 Views)

We are small folks but well put together like a piece lather

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 30 (1,215 Views)

Give others the benefit of the doubt.  Always look for the good in people.  Look both ways and never forget to look up.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 30 (1,264 Views)

Don't take any wooden nickels! 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 30 (1,311 Views)

My Mom always told me "You're known by the company you keep" and "the world doesn't revolve around you" great things to remember! She was a great Mom and grandmother ,kind and thoughtful.  She is missed every day.  Happy Mother's day in Heaven!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 30 (1,389 Views)

My mom's most oft repeated words of advice are:

"You need to get along with everyone."

"If you share, you'll have more friends."

and that old favorite: "Try not to fight!"