Meet Age-Defying People Doing Incredible Things — and Disrupting Aging. Share Your Story

Community Manager

Re: Mother’s Day 2014 Thank You Contest WINNERS

Message 1 of 191 (529 Views)
Info Seeker

Re: Mother’s Day 2014 Thank You Contest BEGINS MAY 1ST

Message 2 of 191 (881 Views)

Mom, I am so very thankful for you.  You have always been there for me, during the time I was so so mixed up and ugly, you were still there.  One thing that really really showed me how much you were there for me was a time my daughter ran away, and you called me and told me to hang in there everything would be okay.  The reason this touched me so very much was I ran away from home so many times, and made you suffer so yet despite that you still had it in you to call me and reassure me that everything was going to be okay.  I can't thank you enough!  Now we are all living our lives with our families, and still y ou are always ther to lend a hand and for that I am forever grateful.  I love you!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 191 (893 Views)

Mommy is what I called you for all of my young years.  You were a stay at home Mom, however you were a trailblazer traveling all over the world, supporting your husband and your children as we entered new jobs, new schools, new countries.  You are a beacon of gentle loving strength to me still. Margaret is what what I called you when we became friends as I grew into an adult.

I loved you in both roles in my life and though you have been gone from this earth for seventeen years I am still learning from you how to love and how to let go and how to keep life interesting. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 191 (906 Views)

Mom,

While I was growing up there were many times I did not appreciate you.  You grew up in many foster homes and I am sure there were times you had to wonder if anyone loved you, but you made it through that.

You had it hard time because you had a son born with a birth defect and a husband that had heart troubles.  It seem like you spent more time at a hospital than at home either because our brother was having surgery or our father had a heart attack.

It wasn't until you moved in with me did we really ever have the chance to get to know each other and I love you so much more.  I will always appreciate the times we've talked and the things I learned and realized.  Some of it wasn't pleasent but the truth isn't always sunshine & flowers.

I just want you to know I love you and I look forward to many years with you.

Debbie

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 191 (943 Views)

Thank you to my mom for everything she taught me about being a mom.  She was a wonderful, smart, caring lady.  I miss her every day.  She thought family was so important and loved her kids and grandkids.  As a teacher, she taught me the importance of knowledge and furthering your education.  She also instilled these qualities in her grandchildren.  She loved holidays, and I wish I had one more Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas to spend with her.  She loved Christmas and acted like a kid on Christmas morning.  She helped me on my road to being a parent.  I know she's still watching over all of us.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 191 (950 Views)

Thank you for being a mom and for helping me to be a mom.  While I sometimes scoffed at your "old time" ways it was many of those lessons that helped me become the person I am today.  You taught me the :right way" to clean a house which helped me learn how to make a house a HOME.  Yout taught me how to cook which helped me learn that I love baking and cooking and that the kitchen is the HEART of a home. You taught me to respect others and to have values and I learned to be a CARING adult.  You taught me to take pride in what I do, to be punctual, to always give my best, and I learned how to make a job become a CAREER.  As an adult I can live, laugh and love.  You taught me to be a MOM!!!!  I love you and miss you and will never ever forget you!  Love you Mom!!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 191 (956 Views)

Dear Mom,

I think about you every day. It's been 16 months since you returned "home" to be with your family and friends. I hope heaven is everything I told you it is. The day before you passed you told me that I had always been your favorite and you don't know what you would have done without my help the past 16 years after dad passed. I smiled and told you that since I was a child, I had always known I was your favorite. We both cried silently then you told me to go home and you would see me tomorrow. That was the last conversation I had with you. You never was one for sharing your feelings or showing affection by hugs or anything, but this meant a lot to me. Thank you telling me, Mum.

What I learned from you early on is I was capable of being much more than a poor fisherman's daughter whose lot in life was to marry a fisherman, have children and the circle would continue. I was the first one in the family who had a drivers license and who went to college. I was a RN and ended up creating successful businesses and, although you never mentioned it, I felt  you were proud of me. As life would have it, a significantly challenged daughter was born to me and taking care of her many daily needs would become my priority in life. Although you were so afraid when she had one of her many daily seizures, you held her and kissed her all of the time and called her your Angel.You had so much love for her and I am sure this helped her overcome her autism and challenges as she grew. Thank you for loving her so much. She was devastated for months after you passed---and so was I. My life had been built around the two of you for so long.

I want you to know that I recently used the small amount of inheiritance you left me to open Flower Angels USA, a unique, non profit charity, in honor of your memory. Thank you. I thought about how you loved when I bought bags of treats to the nursing home daily so you could put them in little dixie cups and deliver them to the patients who had few, if any,visitors. We wheeled you around delivering treats, dresses, and other things that brought a lot of joy to many others. This made us both feel so good. Flower Angels USA receives donated flowers from weddings, grocery stores, churches and special events. Volunteers recycle and repurpose them into fresh beautiful bouquets and cheerfully deliver hundreds of bouquets to people in nursing homes who have been forgotten by society. This random act of love lets people know someone cares. Patients and staff are very happy about the Flower Angels bringing a little sunshine to those who are in need of it the most. These magnificent bouquets everywhere brighten up the rather dreary facilities. I know you would love Flower Angels USA's mission. I trust you are smling down on me for creating this much needed beautiful ministry.   I miss you so much and love you dearly, Mum. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 191 (960 Views)

Hi Mom,

Just wanted to say that no matter how old we get, you are a wonderful mom. You could take the place of anyone in my life but no one could ever replace you. I love you more than the moon and stars. Thanks for being my mom.

Love,

Terri

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 191 (970 Views)

Dear Mom:

Wish you were still here. All of your grands are doing so well and making you proud.  I am sorry that I gave you a hard time as a teen.  Come to find out many years later, the one thing that you did that broke my heart as a teen, kept me from making a lifetime of mistakes.  I miss your hugs, cooking, attention to detail, kindness, and generosity. I learned everything I know about being a Christian and a lady from you.  I am thankful that you are having a wonderful life in Heaven.  Miss you, Debra.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 191 (974 Views)

Thank you, Mom.