AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: Foster Grandparent

Message 1 of 10

I've rked with kids from broken families all my life I know where they come from have felt thier pain and relate and raise them to now be my protectors and leaders of my group they have more heart at this even broke and homeless which they will be no more 

ct39611011 wrote:

Being a foster grandparent or parent isn't all smiles and hugs.  Sure there are lots of foster children who don't carry a lot of baggage from their time with their parents, etc.  However, after working for 10 years in social services, I learned the real truth of foster parenting.  Children from infancy to teens come to the foster home with issues that aren't easily solved by love and hugs.  In some cases they come to you from an unsuitable foster placement.  Most have emotional and physical damage from life in their home.  Discipline can be another major issue for foster parents.  

If you think you would like to be a foster grandparent you need to ask yourself and your doctor(s) if you are physically, mentally and emotionally able to work with a child.  I would even suggest that you find a senior citizen who is a foster parent and shadow them for a while to see what actually goes on with a foster child.  Ask yourself how you would feel if that child you have spent so much time and energy showing them what love really means is given back to the parent(s).  

My kids and family will attest to that even when I was in a arch I never let them down but one mine son who never let me down ever by his legacy I live my remaining days and by his heart I will cover all those he nurtured even when he didn't know himself 40 in all from seks and diversities he had that many best friends ask them they were all special 2 more than all his wife Che and his soul mer. Be strong for always sonic

Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

Reply: Foster Grandparent

Message 2 of 10

I considered it for many years but didn't have an extra room to house the child so instead I participated in a YMCA respite program for parents of foster children.  It was the most rewarding experience ever! 

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 10

AARPTeri wrote:

Have you ever thought of becoming a foster grandparent?  There was a flood of responses to a woman who posted on social media looking to become one.  What are your thoughts on this subject?

I am a foster grandparent.  I do respite care of foster children ages 5 - 12 years of age.

This gives their foster parents a break and me a chance to love on them!  It really is a

wonderfully, fulfilling experience to see the kids happy and enjoying themselves!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 10

Being a foster grandparent or parent isn't all smiles and hugs.  Sure there are lots of foster children who don't carry a lot of baggage from their time with their parents, etc.  However, after working for 10 years in social services, I learned the real truth of foster parenting.  Children from infancy to teens come to the foster home with issues that aren't easily solved by love and hugs.  In some cases they come to you from an unsuitable foster placement.  Most have emotional and physical damage from life in their home.  Discipline can be another major issue for foster parents.  

If you think you would like to be a foster grandparent you need to ask yourself and your doctor(s) if you are physically, mentally and emotionally able to work with a child.  I would even suggest that you find a senior citizen who is a foster parent and shadow them for a while to see what actually goes on with a foster child.  Ask yourself how you would feel if that child you have spent so much time and energy showing them what love really means is given back to the parent(s).  

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 10
my wife an i were foster parents....for several years one day my wife got a call from child services the had a new born that was left at the hospital 5 days old...they had no one to take care...could we help temp. we already had 5 teens.....this little baby is now nine years old first home she was ever in .. she is now our daughter.....best thing we ever did proud parents.....thank you lord......
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 10

I think this is a wonderful idea for those who have not been able to act as a grandparent through their own family life . Warm hugs and admiration from a child is something we all need to experience. Some have loads of love to give and no one to share it with. I'm sure it would be a success!  I even think that as much of an advantage it is to the child, the foster grandparent  would be the winner here! Thank you.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 10

My daughter is 31yo and while she is in a committed relationship, I get the impression she has no interest in traditional marriage.  On Mother's Day this past year, the subject of motherhood came up and she confirmed to me that she has no intention of birthing any children.  Initially, this was pretty disappointing as I absolutely loved being a mother and wished that same joy for her.  Everything turned around though when she told me that she intends to become a foster parent in 10 years time (she wants more time to just be herself, grow, mature, travel etc. before making that commitment).  My heart has swelled with pride.  The idea that my beautiful daughter intends to take in some of society's neediest and most vulnerable citizens and shower them with the love, patience and understanding I know she is capable of, assures me that she is even more amazing than I realized.  Now, I am REALLY looking forward to being a grandma!      

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 10

I would love to be a foster grandparent.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 10

Great idea.  My daughter and son in law are foster parents, and I love being a grandmother to them.  So many have never experienced a great grandmother.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Foster Grandparent

Message 10 of 10

Have you ever thought of becoming a foster grandparent?  There was a flood of responses to a woman who posted on social media looking to become one.  What are your thoughts on this subject?

AARPTeri