Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Home & Relationships

Community Manager
AARPTeri

Father's Day Tribute

[ Edited ]

Father’s Day is a chance to recognize dads and father figures for their many contributions to our lives.  Post about your Father between Monday, June 2, 2014 and Monday, June 16, 2014 and enter a chance to win a $100 gift card.  Rules - http://www.aarp.org/online_community/CommunityContestRules.html

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Trusted Social Butterfly
ASTRAEA

Re: Father's Day

[ Edited ]

My father had an affair & walked out on my mother, while she was pregnant. I guess I could say that I've saved a lot of money on Father's Day presents, over the years. Sad, isn't it, when someone has a child, but absolutely no interest in them?!

(I don't suppose this is what you had in mind, about posting to this discussion)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
CelticSinger

Father's Day Tribute

My childhood was idyllic.  I was blessed with great parents and a wonderful older brother.  I always thought I'd find a "good man", just like Dad, and settle into a similar life as an adult.  Instead, I survived two abusive marriages. The only good thing to come out of the chaos was my fantastic daughter and the innate desire to NOT repeat the horror we endured with these men.  Through it all, loving, kind and supportive, were my Mom and Dad.  Unfortunately, Mom passed away in 1992, and through the grief, Dad, my daughter and I became even closer.  Dad is now 91 years old, and as a WWII veteran, lives in the GA War Veteran's Home in Milledgeville.  He is still quick-witted, loving and caring, and all that love extends to his two great-grandkids, who call him "Whoopie"!  I talk with Dad at least once a day, and he still considers me his "baby", even though I'm now retired.  Dad is my rock, and will always be the first and only man who made a positive impression on my life. My Dad is truly the #1 Father we all celebrate on Father's Day!

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
cs24094886

Re: Father's Day Tribute

When I was one years old my father and mother divorecd, but he was still part of my life, paying for anything I needed always around always there, and even when I turned 18 and didn't have to pay child support he still chose to pay my mom cash until he died, and he paid her uphill he died and I was 21.and that money helped, a lot of fathers can't wait to stop that support, not Mine he wanted to pay all his life.to me that's a real devoted father. I miss him so much
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker +
LoriAnn1959

Spoiler
My Pops died in 2008 RIP. I still talk to him everyday. I feel he is always with me. Our friendship was so fun with occasional adversity. I Love You Pops, (aka) "Pook". Cannon Beach is still our beach!
Spoiler
Love Mug Jones:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
rs4139

my daddy is kool... as a matter a fact im goin ta c em on the 6th cant wait to get their hes already got plans for us to go to the race car track as soon as i get their. we get along so good. he did leave my mother wen i was young but i also had a great step dad he was a good povider, good man. i couldent ask for a better child hood it was me that was the 1 who thought i knew it all... since i live on a fixed income this would really come in handy so i could get em somin real special this year, or just give the contest winings to him since he lives on lil to nothing also.. its rough all over am i rite....:womanvery-happy:thanks for the chance to win...

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker +
serusy

My father was 64 when he passed away 30 years ago this past April. Shortly after this sad event I read somewhere that death does not end a relationship. That gave me a sense of comfort that I feel to this day.  My children never got to know my father "in the flesh" but he always seems to be here with us.

My father’s love for his children was always apparent, through his words and through his actions. He shared with us a love of music, and we grew up listening to his eclectic favorites….show tunes, the great songbooks of Gershwin, Arlen, and Porter, and those wonderful big bands of his era to name a few. He could carry a tune, but sadly did not pass that talent on to his middle daughter, me. Six years after he passed away I married a wonderful man, who like me, cannot carry a tune either. So when we discovered that our first born, now a college student studying classical voice performance, had this extraordinary talent, we knew that my father had something to do with this.

Of the many memories of our father that my siblings and I share, we remember that he enjoyed coins and was a modest collector. He would turn every penny he received over in his palm to see if it was an older "leaf back" penny. He loved to tell us that he remembered when those were the only pennies, and he remembered when they stopped being produced. He always saved those “leaf backs” as if each one represented for him, a day gone by. 

My father's continued presence in our lives took on a new meaning on the weekend of my first born child’s Bat Mitzvah, an occasion that brought our whole family together from our scattered locations. As my beautiful daughter stood in front of the congregation, chanting those ancient prayers and words of wisdom, the notes she sang brought chills through our collective spines.

We knew our father was with us that weekend in 2010 because of the evidence he strategically placed in our paths. Leaf back pennies, more common to find during our father’s lifetime, which ended in 1984, had become much less so by August of 2010. But that weekend, we found them, not among our change from purchases, but at the edges of our feet, directly in our paths. Who else but my father could have placed them there?  We knew without doubt, that he was with us that weekend and wanted us to know.

To this day, leaf back pennies end up in my path from time to time. I know that my father is with me at those times, or had been with me and left his mark to assure me that his body may be gone, but his spirit is always surrounding me with love and warmth. Those are the moments when I am reminded what I learned so many years before…. Death does not end a relationship.

Happy Father’s Day to an angel whose pockets are lined with leaf back pennies. 

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
elambert

One morning when I was about 17, my father looked up from the newspaper and said, "You know, I've been thinking, and when I was a kid my mother never put her arms around me and hugged me."  Grumpy and half-asleep, I glanced at him and muttered, "I've got to go to school now."  What the heck was I supposed to say?  His mother had been dead for 40 years.

Five years later Dad was dead.  He didn't even give us time to say goodbye.  He just dropped dead in the back yard while Mom was brewing his morning coffee.  The doctor told us that it's common for a man's first heart attack to be fatal.

Grief is supposed to be bittersweet and cleansing, but more often it's as ugly and messy as the relationships from which it springs.  Dad had a violent temper. I was a sullen kid.  We didn't communicate easily. 

I tortured myself for 10 years after he died.  Despite my shrugs and silences, did he know how deeply I loved him and relied on his protection and sound advice?  Why didn't I ever tell him how much I loved his humor and compassion?  Did he love me, or did the criticisms he screamed during his rages represent his true feelings?  I would drown in guilt one day and wallow in self-pity the next.

My sharpest regret was that when he confided his mother's coldness, the pain in his voice didn't faze me.  It didn't even cross my mind to hug him and say, "Well, now you have a daughter who loves you very much." 

If there is an afterlife, I hope Dad is the first person I see when I enter that long, bright tunnel of light.  I can't wait to give him a great big hug.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
soberlady52

My Dad died of cancer in 2004. I miss him oodles and pecks. 

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
mh6667

Re: Father's Day Tribute - My Brother Michael

My Brother, Michael, is an extraordinary human being and the consumate father/father figure. At age 62, Michael gives 200% to all that he does. He is the father of 3 adult children, and 3 adult stepchildren, and grandpa to five. He is the head of our family and is a caring and loving son, husband, brother, father, uncle, grandfather and friend.

Throughout the years Michael has aided and assisted in the  development and raising of many young people in our family and his community. His caring attitude, indepth knowledge about so many things, generous spirit and multi-faceted experience has  been benificial in the development and upbrining of his six children, his grandchildren and the many youth he interacts with in the various programs he is involved in. Michael lives on the West Coast, has been employed for many years, is an American Cancer Society volunteer for Relay For Life and Making Strides, provides counseling service in a development program for incarcarated men, and shares his talent with youth in  two community programs. He has a big heart, unlimited energy and is truly generous with his time. 

Commendable is Michael's commitment and involvement in NA--Narcotics Anonomous. May 31, 2014, Michael celebrated 29 years of sobriety. He travels the country speaking about his experience and is forever giving a helping hand or compassionate ear to those in need. He has, throughout this journey, shared his story in the hopes to help others. Like our father who passed away approximately 9 years ago, Michael is a loving father who has provided roots and wings for his children and many other young people whose life he touched. 

He is a humble person and so deserving of this recognition.

Loving submitted by a very grateful Sister,

Mary in Mount Vernon, New York

Please use plain text.