Schedule Your Free 30-Minute Life Coaching Session Via Life Reimagined. Learn More »

Community Manager

Re: Father's Day Tribute

Message 1 of 120 (806 Views)

Horray!!!  We can announce our winner!!

We had over 100 entrants and our winner is pgmrjaf  

and her winning post can be found here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/Friends-Family/Father-s-Day-Tribute/m-p/1377044#M973

AARPTeri
Community Manager

Message 2 of 120 (885 Views)

We have chosen a winner for the contest and sent an email.  Once confirmed we will post the winner's user name and post.  Thank you all who participated.

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 120 (950 Views)
Has a winner of the 'Father's Day Tribute' been chosen yet?
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 120 (996 Views)

Stepfather's are typically portrayed as being mean and abusive; however, my stepfather was the complete opposite.  He was caring, kind and loving.  I am 50 years old and he raised me as his own since I was three.  He never made me feel like I was his STEPchild.  He loved me as much as he loved his own children.  Until the day he passed away (a month ago), he always introduced me as his daugther, and he always made me feel loved.  Because of his love, I grew up to believe that there are good men in this world.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 120 (1,019 Views)

My father died in a farm tractor accident over 40 years ago.  He was a wonderful Christian man, the father of 8 kids. All the kids had a great respect for him.  Now I realize just how young he was when he died but at the time being so  young I thought of him as much older.  Isn't it funny how our concept of age changes as the years go by.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 120 (1,024 Views)

Beautifully said, WebScribe!  This tribute to your Dad brought tears to my eyes, as my own Father is 91 and has always said he would live till he's 100!  As a WWII vet, he's now living in the GA War Veterans Home.  It's really a shame that he's not close by, so I can visit him every day.  His body is failing, but his mind is sharp, and we also share wonderful phone conversations at least once a day.  My daughter and I just visited him Saturday, and I try to see him once a month.  Despite the fact that he's not physically nearby, I still feel the same deep connection with him that we've always had as Daddy and daughter.  He still says I'm his little girl.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Like you, I just can't imagine life without my Dad.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 120 (1,057 Views)

My Daddy

I miss my Daddy.  He died of a sudden heart attack when I was only 15-yrs-old, but those few years formed the foundation of ME.

My Daddy was a big strong man of 6' 2", a WWII vet, a member of the American Legion, and a prominent member of society.  He was a chemist at work, but he could do anything: mechanics, plumbing, electricity, and carpentry.  He was a generous man who helped neighbors and widows with odds and ends.  He even took me along a few times; I was Daddy's little girl.

He taught me that the Lord helps those who help themselves, to love my fellow man, to work harder and Love harder.  He taught me to treat others as I wanted to be treated, to judge not - lest I be judged, and to forgive others.  He was a fun man to be around; he gave me wintergreen lozenges in Church.  He tried to take the family on outings many weekends per year.  We would sing all the old songs while we were riding in the car.  He would playfully tease family members - saying, "If I didn't tease you, you'd think I didn't love you."  He was the center of the family; he was my "rock."

My Daddy taught me my profound Love for animals - we lived out in the country, so we cared for many orphan raccoons, bunnies, etc.  I loved horses most of all.  My Daddy allowed my much older brother to buy my sister and me a pony - knowing full well that he would be doing a lot of the work since we were only 7 and 9 years old.  One life lesson he taught me, was to get back up when I fell off.  I broke my wrist at age 12.  Six weeks later - I led my horse to the doctor's office, got the OK to ride, and rode my horse home.  I aspired to be just as brave as my Daddy was.

My Daddy was a little stern and commanded respect.  He only spanked me once - that I remember.  I don't recall what I did, but I went to my room and cried for three hours.  It wasn't that the spanking hurt so much; it was the fact that I made my Daddy spank me.  I vowed to myself that I would never make him spank me again, and I kept the promise.  I loved and respected my Daddy so-o-o much.

Because they are so much a part of what I am, I will never forget the life-lessons that my Daddy taught me.  I miss my Daddy.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 120 (1,062 Views)

My father has always been a man of few words, a stoic Finn who emanated his love to us by his support and care for his children. He never talked about his WWII injuries until I teased precious little details out of him in sparse sentences over the last ten years. He has probably always suffered some pains from his wounds but he worked hard despite them and still pushes himself to plant flowers, get out to bingo, and walk the dog as only a stubborn Finn would. He has grown emotionally and expressively in his golden years, inspiring me to keep on learning as I age as well. And these days he tells me he loves me and chats for an hour with me on the phone! At 94 years old he is bright and warm and insightful, even more wonderful a father than the daddy I remember as a little girl. I hope he reaches that human milestone of 114 years old because I hate to imagine life without him.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 120 (1,065 Views)

I so miss Dad.

He was everything a girl could want in a Father.He was a hard worker and loved me &Mom and my sister.He was always willing to listen ,give advice and help us if he could.He so wanted  a son , but I never felt being a girl was a dissapointent to him.He taught me to play softball and took the time to have tea parties with me and the dolls.He sure was a good man and as I grew I searched for man as talented and loving as he always was.

I finally got lucky with my second marriage.Dad approved of Richard and that was all I needed to hear.

I got to pay Daddy back for all his loving care after Mom passed . I took him into my home and took care of him until he passed away and joined Mom.

No greater Father ever lived! LOVE you Dad! and miss you so!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 120 (1,066 Views)

to me it is taking one day out of the year to appreciate my loving dad - jake