Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

๐ŸŒ Do You Speak More Than ONE Language?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐ŸŒ Do You Speak More Than ONE Language?

โžก๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again. โฌ…๏ธ

***READ comments and/or ADD a comment***

(1) If you DO speak more than one language, what are they? ๐Ÿค”

(2) Any TIPS for those of us who would like to do the same? ๐Ÿค”

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ (Friends & Family Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

***READ comments and/or ADD a comment***

(1) If you DO speak more than one language, what are they? ๐Ÿค”

(2) Any TIPS for those of us who would like to do the same? ๐Ÿค”

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ (Friends & Family Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just listened to this 8-minute podcast and thought it may "interest" someone. It really was very HELPFUL "in my opinion"...

๐Ÿ“‹There's a secret to learning many languages โ€” and it has nothing to do with smarts!

May 19, 20239:32 AM ET.

Heard on TED Radio Hour.

๐Ÿ—ฃ   By Manoush Zomorodi, Fiona Geiran, Sanaz Meshkinpour.

๐Ÿ‘‰Link to article with podcast GOOGLE NEWS ๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

My "challenge" is the conversational Spanish. ๐Ÿ™„

When I am doing household stuff, I pick a Spanish movie or TV Show (Spanish version of English ones I am familiar with) and listen to.

Thank you @Tempest332 and @ts9711 for your comments! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

That takes a certain mind to pick up on that way of thinking, I could not read music, let alone pick up Morse code in order to upgrade my Amateur Radio License years ago. 

I doubtfully will be traveling anywhere in my lifetime to have to know another language (Spanish in the Southern U.S.), & I knew a handful of French Words to use in P.Q., doubtfully will ever need that again.  I check Language translations in my employment at times, but it's verbatim, & I still can occasionally find mistakes from the translators from a few languages even not knowing the language.   Years ago that would had been an asset though.    

Contributor

I speak English and Spanish.  My Spanish is intermediate level;  I can read the Bible or a periodical with fair fluency.  

Tip:  Associate with native speakers.  If you are an aural learner and can tolerate repetition, Pimsleur is good.  If you want colloquial Latin-American Spanish, try Rocket Languages online.  Rosetta Stone is good if you can afford it -- colorful visuals and a well-thought-out curriculum.

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ts9711 , I am NOW back in Florida, use to live in Virginia. Luv YOUR "tip" on NATIVE speakers!!! Lol, I am NOW "surrounded" by them here in Florida. ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Please keep us in mind for any other TIPS.

Hoping I can one day be able to SPEAK & UNDERSTAND other folks in SPANISH. In my 60's, but NEVER too late....๐Ÿ‘

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

โ–ถ๏ธ@ts9711 wrote:

I speak English and Spanish.  My Spanish is intermediate level;  I can read the Bible or a periodical with fair fluency.  

Tip:  Associate with native speakers.  If you are an aural learner and can tolerate repetition, Pimsleur is good.  If you want colloquial Latin-American Spanish, try Rocket Languages online.  Rosetta Stone is good if you can afford it -- colorful visuals and a well-thought-out curriculum.โ—€๏ธ

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP