Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Anyone Else Enjoy Being A Loner?

Message 21 of 23

@Soosie  I know you didn't ask for 'help', and this isn't that (anyway you don't need help: you just want your space, am I right? Smiley Happy). Instead it's intended for any interested parties who might be drawn to this topic. Smiley Happy

Some reading on introverts and loners:

Huffington Post on ways introverts interact differently with the world than do extroverts: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/physical-behavior-of-introverts_n_6069438.html

Psychology Today's Field Guide to Loners and Introverts: https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200703/field-guide-the-loner-the-real-insiders

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Anyone Else Enjoy Being A Loner?

Message 22 of 23

LOL! We may be of the same tribe!

A number of years ago I had a huge crew of church kids come over to repaint the house exterior and tend to some landscaping needs. At one point in the 2-day invasion --it really did feel like that-- I had to remove myself from the activity to do some calming breathing exercises. I was so glad to see them leave!

Smiley Happy

I have always, despite my love of exchanging ideas with a wide array of people, really been a loner. Shy even, though I do realize that might seem impossible. Introverts, though, often hide behind bursts of extrovertism. Or so I am told. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

Anyone Else Enjoy Being A Loner?

Message 23 of 23

I like having friends, but find that I have more aquaintances rather than friends, especially in my current state of S. C.  Most of the women have been married forever and are always taking care of grandchildren.  Since I don't fit this category, I have learned to really enjoy my own company.  Sometimes I think I may have gone too far.  

An example of this was last Saturday.  I hired a Handyman who came to my home to fix a leaky kitchen faucet, put two cabinets together and a large computer desk.  He was very slow with his work, but he did do a good job.  I was paying him by the hour and I had taken enough cash for 5 hours thinking that would be the maximum time he would spend.  As it ticked to the 7 hour mark, I had to plan to give cash and write a check.  I think I developed a twitch about this time.

I was so tired of him by the time he left and I think he was of my mouth.  It was pure joy to see his truck back out of the driveway.  My poor Pebbles cat hid out the entire 7 hours.  That meant no food or bathroom breaks for her.  As he left, she came in and I have no idea what she was saying, but I think it was something like, "Is that man gone?  Do you realize how hard this has been for me?"  On Sunday morning she was still mouthing her complaints.

I told her we will continue to be old beaters together with no one coming to spend the entire day.

Soosie