Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Stillness-acrylic, charcoal,pencil

Message 1 of 6

It was the darker areas that I was thinking must have been added later.  That clears it up to know that it's acrylic.  That's why I was wondering if a fixative was used.  I thought they would smear too badly without it.  It's nice to talk to another artist.  That's something I've missed since I was around the gallery all the time.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6

PattyDiane wrote:

Thanks for the additional information.  I really like this piece.  I was thinking the charcoal was put in later instead of first.  The effect is very nice.

The darker effects were put on with black acrylic, I have used charcoal on a still wet drawing to define an area, but the you have to rub the area with a soft cloth, I've also used charcoal on a dry drawing, I have even dipped charcoal into paint and used it as a drawing tool, also soft pastels used this way produce very interesting effects, sounds weird but its fun.

I only use this method in the spontaneous drawings, when I do a barn painting and I want my lines to be precise, I do use a fixative.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the additional information.  I really like this piece.  I was thinking the charcoal was put in later instead of first.  The effect is very nice.

Message 4 of 6

Hi PattyDiane, This was done on a small canvas board (9"x12"),

I did a quick charcoal sketch, no fixitive, covered it with white acrylic, I like the smearing of the charcoal when painted over, some of the underlying drawing or marks show through, which is what I wanted, and it adds depth to the painting, then I just let my imagination have free rein, this was done very quickly, I painted over the white coverup while it was still wet.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

This is beautiful!  I want details.  Is this on canvas or paper?  The thing that I like about acrylics is that it's so versital and can be used with mixed media.  What is the size of the original?  Did you use a fixative over the charcoal to keep it from smearing?

Stillness-acrylic, charcoal,pencil

Message 6 of 6

d5c13c57-960c-41e6-b7ff-0937dd950263_P4Photo.jpg

Announcements

Prepare to Care

A resourceful guide to learn about how to have conversations with older family members and much more!