Watch AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins on Wednesday's 'Today' show discuss her new book, 'Disrupt Aging.' Get a copy

Info Seeker

Re: Traveling with your Dog

Message 1 of 20 (1,300 Views)

The ROKstraps stretchable dog leash has a traffic leader loop that you can run a seat belt through to secure your dog. It's also a great leash too!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 2 of 20 (1,681 Views)
You can still enjoy traveling….without having to worry about your little dog. In-home pet and house sitting is just starting to gain momentum in the U.S. Retirees, like us, take care of pets and homes at no cost to the homeowner, in exchange for free accommodations. Best of all, pet owners avoid boarding, kennels and expensive pet care. There are literally 1,000’s of free in-home pet and home sitters like us. Sure there’s risk involved in having a “stranger” in your home, but many of the folks offering their services are retired professionals who simply love pets and love to travel. We’re currently caring for a dog for three months while her owners are in Europe….and then going to London for two months to care for a rescue dog while the homeowners are on vacation/holiday. We've done in-home sits in San Diego, Palm Springs, New Mexico, Spain, Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand. Anyway, just to let folks know about ways to find caring, responsible, pet-loving retirees who will do in-home pet sitting at no cost....so you can do the traveling you want. We put together some stories about our experiences in the past two years of pet sitting around the world at: www.retireespetsitforfree.com
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 20 (1,999 Views)

No, We do not have a dog or any pet.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: I don't see anywhere here where you can click to post a new topic

Message 4 of 20 (2,152 Views)

Thank you Sprakel 18, I just may have to give that a try.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: I don't see anywhere here where you can click to post a new topic

Message 5 of 20 (2,164 Views)

______________________________________________ Margaret wrote: I don't see anywhere here where you can click to post a new topic

Margaret,

It you look to the heirarchy listing above "reply to Message" you can click on "Dogs" and there you can post to a new subject.

Frances

Sparkel18

Re: Storms

Message 6 of 20 (2,166 Views)

Margaret,

I've never had a dog who was afraid of thunder. My terriers have always run out into the yard and barked at the booming noise. I have heard of something called a Thundershirt that helps to calm anxious dogs. This is a simple idea and works off the principle that a tight fitting shirt gives the dog the same pressure as a "hug" from a human. You might wish to try this as a lot of dog owners swear by it.

Frances

Sparkel18

Trusted Social Butterfly

Storms

Message 7 of 20 (2,182 Views)

We are having a bad thunderstorm right now. Where is my son's big black lab? In the bathtub hiding.

I feel so sorry for her, she even goes into the bathroom to hide when it even looks like rain. I don't know why she is so afraid. Any suggestion?

Trusted Social Butterfly

I don't see anywhere here where you can click to post a new topic

Message 8 of 20 (2,184 Views)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 20 (2,189 Views)

Oh what a precious pair. I don't think we ever forget the memories of our pets. They just hold a special place in our hearts.  

Message 10 of 20 (2,206 Views)

One of my favorite pictures of Rufus & Charlie is this one. We were in Alligator Point, Florida when they noticed this crab. I think they were trying to figure out exactly what he was. The crab eventually fled into the ocean and left the two puzzled dogs on the beach.

Charlie and Rufus lived to be eighteen and seventeen and I still miss them. They were wonderful traveling companions.

Frances

Sparkel18