ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Pooch planning

Message 1 of 10

My pets are rescues.  I have 2 sets of sisters, 2 dogs and 2 cats, that he shelters they came from wanted to keep together so I'm committed if something happens to me that they still won't be seperated.  

I have a friend who is an incredible animal lover so I know she would give my pets the same love and priority I do.  I asked her if she would be willing to take them and she thankfully agreed.  I revised my will to leave her my pets, with a monthly stipend for each pet, and instructions to my executor (who I discussed this with also) to reimburse her for all related expenses (I named as many as I could think of but also said including but not limitted to).  My will specifies the remainder of my estate will not be distributed (so I know I have adequate funds to cover their care) until after the death of my pets, then the remainder will be dispersed as specified, but not until my pets are cared for until the end of their lives.

Don't just assume someone will take your beloved and devoted pets, specify it in your will so people know your wishes and speak to those who need to know as well so they know your wishes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 10

I love these human interest stories.  Arf!!!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 10

Yes I have made plans for my three little dogs . It was one of my first concerns that they will be taken care of and loved.. Have been involved in showing dogs for most of my life and now retired. I have one little Chinese Crested  that needed her forever home after her"mom" passed on. Dog people are wonderful and always ready to help if and when needed. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 10

Cannot agree with you more. I have helped rescues in various capacities, and it is taxing plus truly heartbreaking in situations as you described. In addition, there are those scenarios where the pets are taken to a shelter and the shelter cannot, or will not, keep them for an extended time...thereby, horrible resolution for an owner and his/her beloved pet. I have plans in place to avoid all this and have peace of mind. Being a nurse, I'm only too aware that a medical catastrophe can happen to anyone at any time. Disastrous if one does not have a verbal or written plan. 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 10

We have a "Pet Trust", now that they are legal in our State, to provide for our cats needs..  Our cats can now stay in their home with a live-in sitter.  

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 10

Very smart.  

I had an unexpected health event a couple of months ago. As it turned out everthing is ok, but it dawned on me that I had no plan for my docile border collie in place. Yes, I had all of her care instructions for folks who kept her while I am away, but that is not enough.  My two daughters already have two large dogs each so feel like that would not be a good fit, so I approached other family members familiar with my dog and the first family I approached jumped at the chance to be her forever family if necessary.  

Based on your input I need to formalize provisions including financial ones. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 10

We are fortunate to have a son who loves our Duke and will give him a home if needed. We did make provisions in our will, including money to insure he will not be a financial burden. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 10

As Director for 20 years of an animal rescue group, please take a moment to do this. We get calls all the time to help with a cat when the owner has passed away, or gone into Assisted Living, and there is no one to take the cat. Often times there are only days, if not hours, to get to the animal. Typically no one knows the vetting status of the cat. Rarely is there information about what the cat eats, its habits, preferences, or medical needs.  For rescue groups (or animal shelters) to receive these animals on a tight timeline with no background, and to be able to manage them (fit them into the program; deal with the incredible loss the animal is feeling; identify medical issues; determine food preferences; and then find a home) is not only emotionally taxing and exhausting (on workers as well as the animals) but incredibly costly.  If you can't find someone to commit to take your animal (the best option), then please put a plan in place to identify, at minimum, the person responsible for ensuring that your cat (or dog) is cared for and to supervise the transition of your animal in the event of an unplanned emergency, and that the documentation dealing with things such as vaccination status, medication requirements, food preferences etc. can be easily found.

This week alone:  17 year old cat whose owner was too ill to care for her; two 16 year old cats whose owner passed away and needed to be out of the home within days; and a 14 year old cat whose owner was given a terminal diagnosis and needed the cat out of the home asap. Not only are these cats difficult to adopt, but it's an uphill battle to try to identify their needs and health issues when no information is provided!

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 10
Yes we have made arrangements for someone to take out pet should something happen to us. He is in our will and so are his caregivers.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Pooch planning

Message 10 of 10

Have you made special plans for someone to take care your pet if something happens to you?

AARPTeri