Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Periodic Contributor

I grew up near the Great Smoky Mountains, but I went to college/university in two coastal towns, so I think I'd like to live somewhere between the two, and within easy driving distance of both.
0 Kudos

The mountains, without any doubt, are my go-to when I want to truly relax. 

By the beach hands down.  Grew up by Atlantic and miss it.  Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Posted by LynneG

0 Kudos

How about the mountains near a lake?
Contributor

If I could afford it, I would love to see the majestic peaks of the Grand Tetons every single day. Beaches are OK, but I can get bored quickly hanging out on the beach. Short visits maybe, but no permanent stay. So, mountains for me.
0 Kudos

I love them both, however, the Southern beaches are what I would pick, as I live in Indiana,  and the winters here are long and cold.  Give me warm breezes off the ocean please.
0 Kudos

That's a tough one!  I currently live near the beach but love the green lush mountains, foliage changes and crisp mountain air especially in the fall.  Fishing is my favorite pasttime so I love being on the pier on the Atlantic ocean in Florida but then again I could go fishing in lakes and streams if I lived in the mountains.  The only thing that keeps me in Florida is having three of my children here.
0 Kudos

They are both better to visit, now and then, rather than live by.  They can be quite dangerous and unpredictable, as are many of the most beautiful places on earth. 
0 Kudos

They are both wonderful, but better to visit than live there as they can both be quite dangerous and unpredictable.
0 Kudos

I  love the beach so there's no question for me

Crisp, clean, cool fresh air.  You can't beat the mountains.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I cannot stand heat or too much sun, so beaches are OUT for me. Mountains, clear air, lower temperatures, running water, 4 rather than 2 legged animals, trees and shade-no contest.

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:

In the mountains, with a stream or lake close by and neighbors who are not.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Having perused the responses to this question over several months, I made several observations:

Some just say beach or mountains and let it go at that. Most are willing to add some meat to their choice.

Everyone has a reasonable reason why they prefer one or the other; many like both.

I believe most people enjoy variety in their appetites. I've been to the mountains and mountain lakes and find it every relaxing, usually serene, but eventually boring. Perhaps it's just because I enjoy the activities more at or near the beach. The mountains usually don't offer much variety. That's a little odd since I was raised country and hate cities and the beaches are usually much more โ€œcitifiedโ€ than the mountains. The answer to that is that people who live by the beach are a whole lot more laid back than the city folk. So we moved to the coast where we're 5 miles from the beach, in a small town with larger cities only 40-75 minutes away. Ha! We found the best of everything we want....now if only the water looked like it does in the Virgin Islands....

0 Kudos

Well, I live in the mountains and would not want to live any where else. The sound of the ocean coming in at night is rather scary to me.The ocean is just too big and is an endless nothing.The salt water is not fun to play in when it keeps coming up in waves onto you. Give me a nice cool poolside in the mountains any day. I prefer the solid ground I stand on.    
Contributor

I've lived in the mountains, in the woods, on the beach and in the city, now I think I would like to live in the desert.
0 Kudos

Love fresh air in mountains

by the mountains

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sounds nice

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains for sure. I live in the foothills of the Gila National Forest and there's nothing like waking up to snow capped mountains this time of year!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I need to lve near the ocean. A beach climate enables me to relax.
0 Kudos

Living near the Chesapeake Bay and being a boater for years, I'd have to say the beach. We vacation in Ocean City, Cancun and Jamaica. Can't wait to hit the beach.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I grew up on Galveston Island,TX age 21, got married, moved to CA, then MA, now NC. My peace place is the beach. A place I speak with God, feel my Father's ashes in the water & find amazing shells, sharks teeth, & get to body surf ,before breakfast. I now live in a City & I do believe I am having withdrawls. I believe you can take the island girl away ,however you cant take the island out of the girl !!!

Contributor

I lived by the beach from 1998 to 2012 in the Florida Panhandle but lived on a coastal dune lake. Recently moved back to north Georgia to be closer to family and the only thing that would have made it better would have been to find a lake house to buy. To me, that would be the best of both world - in the foothills on water!!
Contributor

The beach I think the mountains would make my depression worst.

0 Kudos
Contributor

amen !!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would rather live by the beach. I'm such a waterbabyLaughing
Contributor

me too

0 Kudos

Love the beach! Love to fish!
0 Kudos

Like water; But not wavesor rip tide. A  lake, stream, waterfall?, beach, boat & a little fishing. Cool!! 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP