Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Contributor

I would love to live be the beach, In the morning with my coffee, I love watching the sun rise. In the evening with a glass of red wine, I love watching the sun set. Love hearing the ocean all night. Right now I live in the country, It's too lonely. I want to see beauty. And the ocean is for me.

0 Kudos

Luckily I have the best of both worlds.  I live in Corvallis, OR, which is between the Cascades and the ocean.  Can be in the mountains or at the coast in under an hour .....
Regular Contributor

We divide time between maui and Denver

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would take the beach in a warm place in the winter and the mountains in the summer. Of course, I'd want a lake close by tthe mountains.

I was born at the feet of the Big Horns in Wyoming and spent much time in Colorado's Rockies. My home for many years has been near the Pacific in California. I would like to state with great assurance that in California we have it all. The Pacific is at my doorstep; the Sierra Nevada a skip and jump off to the east. As I see the question, however, the choice is not between beach and mountains but ocean and mountains. Mountains have plenty of high-country lakes and their beaches, but the ocean is a world of its own.

We live in the country about 2 miles east of the left coast. It gives us stable weather without extremes. We do get earthquakes, however. And straightening the road in front of our house was nixed by the city.

Oh give me the mountains anytime!!  But not where you get all the snow.  Someplace like Asheville NC.  I was also in Washington in November and loved the pines.  I don't know how bad the winters would be there though.  I don't mind the drizzly days though.  If I want the sound of water, a wonderful mountain brook or stream would be great.  I like to see sunsets at the beaches, and to spend a few hours there, but then I'm good to go (back to the mountains).  So where do I live?  In Indiana, surrounded by CORN!!
Contributor

Beach ..beach ...beach...Love It!
Contributor

In an ideal situation I would live in the mountains on a quiet lake with an ocean within an hours drive. 

Contributor

Exactly!!!  In the pine trees overlooking a lake and within an hour's drive to the ocean - so perfect!  That would be my dream retirement spot.

SM, Reno

Contributor

Beach!
Contributor

BEACH!!!! Love putting my feet into the warm sand, listening to the waves, people watching, & bringing my dog.  Will retire in North Carolina where they are dog friendly.  Three and a half years before I retire!!!

0 Kudos

We live in Raleigh NC and love it.  We are 3 hrs to the Beach or the Mountains.  Perfect! 

I've lived near both & loved both, but the mountains with a lake wins out.  A mountain + a lake offer many more opportunities to use + explore, than the ocean does.Wink
0 Kudos

I love the mountains for a visit, but I would rather live on the beach somewhere warm year-round.
0 Kudos

I most definately would rather live on the beach if it's not freezing cold. The mountain and higher elevations I find to be harder to breath. <sigh>
Contributor

No contest, the beach.  I live a few miles from the Pacific Ocean.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Lake McDonald in Glacier Park offers beach with a view of the magnificent mountains surrounding it.  It's my choice for summer. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live a few miles from the  Pacific Ocean and love it. 
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Live in the Seattle WA area and you can have both. My choice for many years. Then moved to Denver to be near family in my old age.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I was born in Santa Cruz, CA, a truly great beach town but very, very expensive. I've lived elsewhere but always thinking about the relaxing sounds of the breaking waves, seagulls and just enjoying the warm sun. I now live 3 miles from Huntington Beach, CA and go to the beach 2-3 times a week. If I want to visit the mountains, I can go to Lake Tahoe about 4-5 hour drive. It's also a great place to relax and have a great time with many things to do. The only thing I can say, Life's a Beach!

DRK

0 Kudos
Contributor

Must definitely the beach! Love the sound of the waves and the salt water does the body good.

Easy.  I would love to live in the mountains of Montana, Wyoming or Idaho because I've been there and there is nothing more beautiful than the tall, rugged, rocky mountains of our beautiful west.  However, I would love to spend my winters on the beautiful beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast.  I think that would give me the best of this beautiful country.
Trusted Contributor

Seasoak,

I hope that you find some place that you enjoy this weekend. 

Lynne, 

I agree. I really enjoy being by the water. I find just sitting by it to be relaxing. I don't have to be in/on a lake or in the ocean. I can just enjoy sitting by it, on a beach or on a chair or a bench, etc. 
0 Kudos
Contributor

ddemee01-I was born in Santa Cruz, CA in 1951 and moved to the Salem, OR area when I was 28 years old. Since then, I moved back to SoCal 2 years ago. The biggest part I missed was the warm beaches, weather I loved in Santa Cruz, CA. SoCal has both but living in SoCal isn't cheap with housing being very expensive, lack of housing to buy at reasonable prices. In Huntington Beach, CA, it's hard to find anything below $500,000 and renting a 1 bdr. apartment is $1,500-$2,000 a month. It's cheaper to rent a room in a house for $300-$700 a month with all privilages that come with the house, kitchen, laundry. I've also looked at Datona Beach, FL but medicare costs are expensive in Florida by what I've read. For me, Life's a Beach and wouldn't have it any other way. Go 2-3 times a weak for pure relaxation listening to the waves, seagulls and sounds of ocean life.

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Even the sound of a water fountain can be relaxing. I sat outside at a restaurant with friends last night, and the sound of the fountain was mesmerizing! I'm looking forward to our family vacation on Cape Cod this summer!

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
I would rather live by the beach. The sound of the waves coming onshore is so relaxing it  soothes my soul. I'm on the web site looking for a place to go this weekend. I just gotta get away. Peace and blessings.
Posted by seasoak

Regular Contributor

I would rather live by the beach. The sound of the waves coming onshore is so relaxing it  soothes my soul. I'm on the web site looking for a place to go this weekend. I just gotta get away. Peace and blessings.
Kudos
Views

Give me the mountains.  I don't like the beach that well,  would visit maybe.
Trusted Contributor

That's a tough choice, since both places are really beautiful, and I have been lucky enogh to be at the ocean, at different lake locations, and in the mountains, too.

I like being at different lakes and beaches though, so I wouild have to say that I like being by the water, so being by the beach wins out for me in the end. Smile
0 Kudos

I remember spending time at both, but I think the beach was more of our hang out throughout my life.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP