Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

I love both. I have to say the beach in cooler weather.  When it gets hot head for the mountains!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Halfway up the mountain, 10 minutes from the beach (where I live now)  You have to take tsunamis and ocean level rise into account.

0 Kudos

Narrowing it down...the beach must have pristine sand with a bungalow & no biting critters, no storms, lush tropical plants, temps 70-85 year round, no crowds, & variety of water sports... I'm needing a perpetual Vacation;.probably would eventually miss 4 seasons but sure would like to see how long it would take! The beach is my choice!
0 Kudos
Contributor

TRY VENTURA, CA., it meets all your conditions.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I'm afraid you've added so many conditions on to your choice, you can't get there from here....I'd be in line for that spot as well, with my wife and family climbing over me...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There are only 2 problems with LIVING by the beach; one is the potential for bad storms & flooding. The other problem is that when the weather's nice, EVERYONE wants to come to the beach to enjoy it .. so the roads are packed, and it takes locals 40 minutes for a routine 5 minute errand!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Six yrs ago we bought a cabin in a National Forest.  We also still have our family home in San Diego.  While the beach can be beautiful (when crowds aren't there), the mountains (we're at 6,200 ft) are spectacular!  At this age we need peace and quiet.  Isolation is ok too. 

Wildlife in the mountains, a delight to behold.  Wildlife at the beach?  Well, been there, done that!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I've enjoyed vacations at Virginia Beach and North Carolina, so I'm a little prejudiced about the beach. I would prefer a private, elevated property. Can't go fishing on the mountains, but I think I should try a mountain vacation; it does sound relaxing.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love the beach!!!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Live by the Beach - Visit the Mountains!  Enjoy the fall colors camping or a train trip but Live in the warm weather!  Hutchinson Island has great homes and condos in all price ranges. Debbie Albert

0 Kudos

Mountains! And visit the beach- sink holes on coasts can swallow whole houses...
0 Kudos
Contributor

I think the mountains would be my thing
0 Kudos

The beach is for me.  I have had to survive the frigid winters for 57 years.  Time to hit the beach!

0 Kudos

I too have always love the ocean, but about 10 years ago I discovered a mountain area that has beauriful lakes!!!! Asheville NC!! This beauriful little city has every convinience that you could imagine, plus 3 beautiful mountain ranges come together here. The weather is great, there are 3 seasons (the ground never freezes in winter) and I found Lake Lure, nearby, to be one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen. It's almost a substitue for the ocean...... If I had to live without the beach life...... I'd choose Asheville everytime. I spent a wonderful 4 months there, and am considering going back one day........ Love love love Asheville!!!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

As I've said the beach. The ocean has a way of changing the air at night, something you don't get living on the Mississippi River and it's flood stages.

Ron Tousignant
0 Kudos
Contributor

The beach, always the beach! The Mississippi River was fine for the time But I miss the ocean and the changing of the air every night.
Ron Tousignant
0 Kudos

The mountains give me strength and balance in my life.  I could easily live out my life in the Colorado Rockies.

0 Kudos

I would love to live near the beach, I grew up in Brooklyn NY. and I lived 3 block's from the ocean and now that i'm disabled I would love to find an afforable place in Florida I can live on my disabilty real close to the ocean. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree the ocean on one side the mountains on the other that's my idea of heaven.
0 Kudos

Well, being a grandma in **bleep** and two children in RI with 3 granddaughters. I would love to have a house right on the beach in RI. I would stay there in the summer to get out of AZ 100+ temp. I have always been a beach lover. I adore those long walks on the beach. I see myself sitting on the deck of my home sipping coffee early and watching a sunrise. House on the beach is my dream..and it looks like it stays in my ddreams. Hey but ya nver know ! Yup some prince charming may show up and wish me off to enjoy this dream ...and they all lived happily ever after. ๐Ÿ™‚

A.

0 Kudos
Contributor

There is no place I would rather be than on the beach. I enjoy the waves,the sound of the surf and sand between my toes. Every time that I traveled to a beach, I have felt I am home and this is where I belong. I live in the Midwest and I am tired of the cold winters. Give me the beach!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜Ž
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Definitely the mountains - I live in New Mexico now, but before I came here, I lived in the Shenandoah Valley, and before that in Massachusetts with both the White and Green Mountains close by.  Being from Iowa where there are no real mountains, I have always felt at peace around mountains.  I like the ocean and vacationed on Cape Cod for many years, but mountains are still my favorite.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountain
0 Kudos
Contributor

Beach.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The beach of Antigua and Barbuda comes to mind for me. Because there are 365 beaches on Antiqua one for each day of the year so I will rest on a beach everyday for one year.
0 Kudos
Contributor

The beach offers a lot to do and see. Even more so if you can find one with a mountain in the background.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@bg4886 wrote:
The beach offers a lot to do and see. Even more so if you can find one with a mountain in the background.

St Lucia comes to mind....There are different types in different locations - volcanic mounds mostly except for the bigger islands. Lots to do, or nothing to do - your choice.

Although I love the mountains, due to health issues with breathing,(thin air in the mountains) I'd have to choose the beach instead. Growing up in West Texas, there's not much scenery of ANY kind and I've always had an affinity for water anyway.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I wonder if there are personality types that prefer the mountains to the beach. Iโ€™ve spend much more time in my later adult life at beaches rather than mountains so I am not as clear about the mountains as I am the beach. However, I wonโ€™t let that stop me from offering an opening dialogue about the subjectโ€ฆ (We moved to be close to the ocean and other water. Now 20 minutes from the Atlantic, ten minutes from the Intracoastal, and wouldnโ€™t want it any other way.)

I see the beach scene as much more open, populated, energetic and youthful. I see the mountains as more quiet, solitude, contemplative, and individualistic. Of course both can be the opposite at times. Long walks on a quiet beach, sailing on a quiet sea, lying on a hammock in the cool ocean breeze with no one else around. And of course, large mountain lakes offer skiing, power boats, and partying as well.

What attracts you to the mountains or the beach?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP